Daily Mobile Forum
21 April 2014, 09:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: DailyMobile is looking for a few good writers.  If you're interested, go here for details.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Instagram Just Got a Little More Creepy  (Read 193 times)
MASMedia
Administrator
Crazy Poster

Activity
100%

« on: 03 January 2013, 18:00 »

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to Instagram there is this little gem of a site called   the Beat which does much more than using your pictures for ads or sells them to the highest bidder. No this site takes your Instagram picture plus it's geo tagging information and marries it to Google street. What do you get when it does this?  The above picture of course! So now everyone knows where you live and what your house looks like hurray! While the above example is simply embarrassing (perhaps not for her) this site and other like it could be used to harm you.

One of the genius features of this site is that if you want to see pictures of a certain topic there is a search bar for that.  Simple type in what you want and the site will bring those pictures to you. (believe it or not the above screenshots search was Christmas)  So... lets just say it's right after Christmas (oh wait it is) and I am a robber looking to steal some great stuff, before Instagram I'd have to stake out your house see what type of boxes you put out for the trash, perhaps look in your windows. Now all I have to do is type in "gifts" or "Xbox" or whatever I want into the search bar and you will show me what you got for Christmas and this site will give me your address and view of your street to make sure I have the right place how nice.

Now I am sure there are a ton of other creepy uses for this site that I can't think of off the top of my head however rest assured someone else will.  Did I forget to tell you that this is not the only site that does this? Nope there are several others out there that do the exact same thing.  So I guess this is just a word of warning when you share something online you share it with the world just not your circle of friends.

VIA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy