Daily Mobile Forum
20 April 2014, 15:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: DailyMobile is looking for a few good writers.  If you're interested, go here for details.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIM Settles Patent Agreement With Nokia for 65 Million Dollars  (Read 530 times)
MASMedia
Administrator
Crazy Poster

Activity
100%

« on: 26 December 2012, 18:44 »

A little while back it was found out that RIM was violating Nokia patent on WLAN patents. Nokia took RIM to a a tribunal, which ruled in favour of Nokia and settlement was agreed to. We did not know how much this settlement was worth until recently when the form from the patent deal became public knowledge and it was found out they settled for 65 Million dollars.

On December 21, 2012, Nokia and RIM announced that they have entered into a new patent license agreement. The agreement will result in the settlement of all patent litigation between the companies and Nokia's dismissal of all pending actions in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany. The financial structure of the agreement includes a lump sum 50 million euros (approximately $65 million) one-time payment, which has been recorded in the Company's consolidated statement of operations in the third quarter of fiscal 2013.

It is not clear whether this 65 million dollars covers one year only or covers forever.  From earlier statements it seems that it RIM would need to pay Nokia per device for this patent breech.

A Nokia spokesperson told the Guardian: "Nokia and RIM agreed a cross-licence for standards-essential cellular patents in 2003, which was amended in 2008. In 2011, RIM sought arbitration, arguing that the licence extended beyond cellular essentials. In November 2012, the arbitration tribunal ruled against RIM. It found that RIM was in breach of contract and is not entitled to manufacture or sell WLAN products without first agreeing royalties with Nokia. In order to enforce the Tribunal's ruling, we have now filed actions in the US, UK and Canada with the aim of ending RIMs breach of contract."

Also if you note the first statement says   "...agreement includes a lump sum 50 million euros (approximately $65 million) one-time payment..." This also leads me to believe Nokia will be seeing a per device fee from RIM. This is good news for Nokia as they appear to be starting to turn the corner.   A new stream of income could never hurt till they start being profitable again.

VIA

Apex666
Super Moderator
The Immortal

Current Phone:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOTE 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                 My precious - Galaxy S4 i9500 | Nexus 7 Running Ubuntu TouchDEV Preview My Paranoid NOTE 10.1 Tablet Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Samsung Galaxy S2 SlimROM v5.0 | HTC Desire Paranoid Android v2.x | | Nokia 5800XM BlazeUltimate | x1 C5-03 Stock | C7 - Belle Refresh Smiley

Follow Me On Twitter Follow My Digital Drawings On My BLOG BlazeDROID_1.0_BETA Android MODDING Android ROM Releases Support the Android Community on DM Grin South African & PROUD

Activity
100%

Founder and Owner of Apex Designs Inc.

« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2012, 18:53 »

Well done Nokia Cheesy
Amarjit
Retired Moderator
The Immortal

Current Phone:
Gionee Pioneer P2 running on Custom ROM

Activity
9%

« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2012, 18:54 »

finally some cash coming to Nokia  Smiley
Apex666
Super Moderator
The Immortal

Current Phone:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOTE 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                 My precious - Galaxy S4 i9500 | Nexus 7 Running Ubuntu TouchDEV Preview My Paranoid NOTE 10.1 Tablet Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Samsung Galaxy S2 SlimROM v5.0 | HTC Desire Paranoid Android v2.x | | Nokia 5800XM BlazeUltimate | x1 C5-03 Stock | C7 - Belle Refresh Smiley

Follow Me On Twitter Follow My Digital Drawings On My BLOG BlazeDROID_1.0_BETA Android MODDING Android ROM Releases Support the Android Community on DM Grin South African & PROUD

Activity
100%

Founder and Owner of Apex Designs Inc.

« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2012, 18:55 »

finally some cash coming to Nokia  Smiley

They need it now more than ever Wink
Allstar12345
DailyMobile Developer
The Immortal

Current Phone:
Nokia N8 Symbian Belle V111, Nokia 808 PureView 48GB -Belle FP2, Nokia Asha 310, BlackBerry Z10 Smiley Smiley  ---Follow me on Twitter  Allstar Software On Facebook "no one is obliged to do anything for you or your device" Feeling nice? Buy me a coffee

void GB::England() const{Hull; return Home;}

Activity
100%

"You must fight to keep them alive"

« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2012, 19:31 »

This and the decent sales of the new Lumia series, a good end of the year.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy