Daily Mobile Forum
16 April 2014, 21:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read the FORUM RULES - Ignoring the rules will end up with a ban so do NOT ask for registrations keys or share warez links / cracked applications. You have been warned!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which map is best... ?  (Read 764 times)
MASMedia
Administrator
Crazy Poster

Activity
100%

« on: 13 December 2012, 19:55 »

Today's world is integrated and a good mapping software enhances this integration.  Any new buyer going to buy a phone lists Maps as an important aspect while buying  a new smart phone.

On the scale of 10, maps rate about  4 to 5  for being a pre-requisite add on.  But recent stories about Apples IOS sending users to forest, it is important to compare the maps available on various smart phones.

Android: Google Maps (Developed by Google themselves)

Blackberry: 3rd Party Software

iOS: Proprietary Maps developed by Apple

Windows Phone 7 & 8: Nokia Drive

Nokia Symbian Phones: Nokia Maps

Bada: Samsung LBS (Route 66)

WebOS: Carrier Software developed by HP

Out of this I have used Google Maps, Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive and in my opinion Nokia Drive is the best Map available.  Google is good but at times it is scratchy and hard on old phones. Nokia is a clear winner in mapping software.

I have not used iOS maps but have heard they are worst. Give your comments on the best maps you have used. At Least we will know where on earth we are on this front.

Samvirk

Current Phone:
NOKIA N900

Activity
0%

« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2012, 04:26 »

m not a nokia fan anymore buy my galaxy 3 lost.so i decided to try lumia 920.i was amazed how the quality &  software sense came back to nokia...nokia drive is the best navigating app i had seen
oreo27
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:
Nokia 701 (Quicken Internal Alpha Belle FP2) ||||| Created using Nokia Cooker

Activity
5%

Welcoming my little angel into this world :)

« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2012, 09:13 »

I still stand firm that Nokia Maps (Symbian) is the best in this specific software/hardware battle.
clouseau

Current Phone:
Nokia N9

Activity
0%

« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2012, 09:29 »

I grew up on a Nokia, I can't say I'm their fun atm, but yeah, Nokia Maps is also the best navi system for mobile phones there is, on my opinion too. Alltogether with the 3rd party apps (the "near by" studd. HRS Hotels, Public transport apps (trialed  them all for some time, works) combined with usually a usable camera hw it makes makes the device very traveller friendly.
I also extensively used Google Maps for lack of coverage in Nokia Maps. It works but once I ended up driving in corn fields (got to the destination though) - the navi part needs some shape up, or just not to cover the areas where they don't know about the quality of roads.

Also, I must mention Marble. Basically, it's a Linux project, also adapted to N9, so probably there are Android versions too. It's a very good opensource navi system, which lets you chose from different map providers, has a voice guidance layer too, up to date  and is feature rich. Check it out,if you can.
Allstar12345
DailyMobile Developer
The Immortal

Current Phone:
Nokia N8 Symbian Belle V111, Nokia 808 PureView 48GB -Belle FP2, Nokia Asha 310, BlackBerry Z10 Smiley Smiley  ---Follow me on Twitter  Allstar Software On Facebook "no one is obliged to do anything for you or your device" Feeling nice? Buy me a coffee

void GB::England() const{Hull; return Home;}

Activity
100%

"You must fight to keep them alive"

« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2012, 09:58 »

I still stand firm that Nokia Maps (Symbian) is the best in this specific software/hardware battle.

I'll go with you there.

vvpvijay
DailyMobile Writer

Activity
0%

« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2012, 14:45 »

I also support the Nokia guys their Maps are the best available
hyaene

Current Phone:
5800XM,N97,X7,N8,SG Note

Activity
0%

« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2012, 10:40 »

I've now used Nokia Maps on several of their devices and my experience was more than satisfying from the beginning.
Owning a Galaxy Note now for a few months I consequently checked Google Maps and the free available OSM-based NAVFREE (offline running like NM) during my last visit to The Netherlands.
On this trip NAVFREE obviously provided me the most actual maps (Nokia Maps sometimes were lost due to newly built roads) and I got the impression of high reliability, so this is my favoite atm,
-h
vvpvijay
DailyMobile Writer

Activity
0%

« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2012, 15:25 »

I've now used Nokia Maps on several of their devices and my experience was more than satisfying from the beginning.
Owning a Galaxy Note now for a few months I consequently checked Google Maps and the free available OSM-based NAVFREE (offline running like NM) during my last visit to The Netherlands.
On this trip NAVFREE obviously provided me the most actual maps (Nokia Maps sometimes were lost due to newly built roads) and I got the impression of high reliability, so this is my favoite atm,
-h

Is Navfree map available for India
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy