Daily Mobile Forum
18 April 2014, 04:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: DailyMobile is looking for a few good writers.  If you're interested, go here for details.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jolla's Sailfish OS to Run Android and MeeGo Apps  (Read 4450 times)
MASMedia
Administrator
Crazy Poster

Activity
100%

« on: 26 November 2012, 10:43 »

One of the big questions about Jolla's new Sailfish OS would be ecosystem. I mean it is hard enough to get the average consumer to switch OS's alone but,  if you are missing their favorite apps you have no shot at all. So what did Jolla do to bridge this gap? They made their OS Android and MeeGo app compatible.

While I didn't see the entire Sailfish presentation there was a mention that Sailfish will not only be able to run the apps made for Nokia's N9 but also it should be able to run Android apps. This is a HUGE win for consumers it automatically puts  an entire world of apps at their disposal from the get go.

This shouldn't come as much of a shock to the tech world as it was always rumored that he Nokia N9 could run Android apps if the right software was made.  Sadly however this software never came and the N9 is stuck with the limited apps made for Nokia version of  the MeeGo OS.

Knowing that Jolla's phones can now run a wide variety of apps does this make anyone take a second (or first) look at this new OS?

VIA

clouseau

Current Phone:
Nokia N9

Activity
0%

« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2012, 12:51 »

This is very good and also very bad - just a sword with two blades as usual.
One who wants to run Android apps has no real reason to buy a Jolla device, for the Android system and phones are objectively quite on top, I'd say. And there are quite a few excentric people like myself for example who woule buy a MeeGo device because it's a MeeGo device. Well maybe ex Nokia fans..... What do you think?
bladefire

Current Phone:
Nokia 5233

Activity
0%

« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2012, 12:57 »

Great.
now jolla's phones will fly of the shelf...
Allstar12345
DailyMobile Developer
The Immortal

Current Phone:
Nokia N8 Symbian Belle V111, Nokia 808 PureView 48GB -Belle FP2, Nokia Asha 310, BlackBerry Z10 Smiley Smiley  ---Follow me on Twitter  Allstar Software On Facebook "no one is obliged to do anything for you or your device" Feeling nice? Buy me a coffee

void GB::England() const{Hull; return Home;}

Activity
100%

"You must fight to keep them alive"

« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2012, 13:49 »

Well it will obviously run Meego apps, it is built on top of Meego Tongue
If it didn't some people would be rather pissed.
Enigm@ik

Current Phone:
Nokia 603

Activity
0%

« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2012, 19:29 »

Things about jolla mobile keeps getting better...I'm getting tempted already

epdm2be

Activity
0%

« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2012, 00:03 »

If these phones have full 2-way call recording then I'm listening. Otherwise I can't bother.
Substance first, bling later.
clouseau

Current Phone:
Nokia N9

Activity
0%

« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2012, 10:04 »

I loved what Nokia did in the past, I want my phone to live again, I am eager to see what will happen, but this teasing the the Jolla guys are doing is getting on my nerves for some times. If you read their tweets, it's all just how heavenly it is to work for Jolla, how fantastic they are, blablablah....for what? Very little so far.
gerstavros

Activity
0%

« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2012, 10:54 »

This is very good and also very bad - just a sword with two blades as usual.
One who wants to run Android apps has no real reason to buy a Jolla device, for the Android system and phones are objectively quite on top, I'd say. And there are quite a few excentric people like myself for example who woule buy a MeeGo device because it's a MeeGo device. Well maybe ex Nokia fans..... What do you think?

Well, no. Because many people may prefer the UI of Sailfish, and also it may be faster
clouseau

Current Phone:
Nokia N9

Activity
0%

« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2012, 13:20 »

Well, no. Because many people may prefer the UI of Sailfish, and also it may be faster

Heh, I doubt that Sailfish would run Android applications better than Android itself. Think...
If you were talking about Sailfish with its own applications, that makes sence. But I'm talking about Android compatibility.
Enigm@ik

Current Phone:
Nokia 603

Activity
0%

« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2012, 19:57 »

If the OS is indeed flexible as is claimed then many like me won't mind. Lets c if it lives up to its hype

rootytooty

Activity
0%

« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2013, 10:34 »

If the new Meego and Android does come out on Jolla's new phones, I wonder if one can port Meego to our Nokia N900's?Huh

Thanks,
Bobby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy