Daily Mobile Forum
21 April 2014, 14:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read the FORUM RULES - Ignoring the rules will end up with a ban so do NOT ask for registrations keys or share warez links / cracked applications. You have been warned!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing internet connection (WIFI or 3G/GPRS) per Application/process?  (Read 2404 times)
bambo

Activity
0%

« on: 18 August 2011, 18:50 »

I would like to choose the connection per application. For example: I would like to use Nokia Social, Nokia SSOUI with my 3G connection.
But some other apps like youtube, browser I would like to use WIFI.

I am looking for a way to choose the connection when the program starts/connects. Is this possible?
(I actually need this since SSOUI doesn't connect properly via WIFI. But with 3G it works good.)

bambo

Activity
0%

« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2011, 16:53 »

Nobody?

I am still searching.. If I find something I will post it for the silent readers of this topic.
If anyone has a nice solution, let me/us know! Thanks!
andyvb

Current Phone:
Nokia N8-00 Black, 5800 XM Blue

Activity
0%

« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2011, 18:32 »

From Menu, go to Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Internet
Change your gprs to priority 1. Doing this now makes all your standard apps work on gprs.

Now to get Youtube and browser to use Wifi, open your browser and go to Settings>General>Access Point.
Set this to "Ask when needed". Each time you start the app, it will ask, and you can simply choose "Search for WLAN".

You can do the same with settings for Opera as you can with browser. Most apps that connect to internet have an option to set to choose how to connect. Only Ovi and Social I have noticed don't have any options, or maybe I'm wrong. Not sure about SSOUI, but after doing this it will connect with 3G. You can play around with settings yourself if you prefer to have it work differently.

You could also create a destination just for Wifi in the first part and move your wifi access points into this, then choose this destination as standard in the browser settings instead of ask when needed.

Under Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Data use in home country, you can also set this to "Always ask" then each time it connects to 3G it will ask if you want to do connect this time or always connect for that app. This just helps to prevent it connecting without you wanting it to if you select "connect this time".

Hope this helps. Smiley
bambo

Activity
0%

« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2011, 21:17 »

From Menu, go to Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Internet
Change your gprs to priority 1. Doing this now makes all your standard apps work on gprs.

Now to get Youtube and browser to use Wifi, open your browser and go to Settings>General>Access Point.
Set this to "Ask when needed". Each time you start the app, it will ask, and you can simply choose "Search for WLAN".

You can do the same with settings for Opera as you can with browser. Most apps that connect to internet have an option to set to choose how to connect. Only Ovi and Social I have noticed don't have any options, or maybe I'm wrong. Not sure about SSOUI, but after doing this it will connect with 3G. You can play around with settings yourself if you prefer to have it work differently.

You could also create a destination just for Wifi in the first part and move your wifi access points into this, then choose this destination as standard in the browser settings instead of ask when needed.

Under Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Data use in home country, you can also set this to "Always ask" then each time it connects to 3G it will ask if you want to do connect this time or always connect for that app. This just helps to prevent it connecting without you wanting it to if you select "connect this time".

Hope this helps. Smiley

Thank you very much! This helped a lot. I almost got it working/configured properly now!

I have put 3G to prio1, so Nokia Social, SSOUI, store etc. connect through 3G. Just how I want it.
Browsers connect through Wifi now:) Super.

But in Nokia Internet Radio I can't find the option to select accesspoint, so this connects through 3G now too. Maybe I can't find or maybe Nokia has not integrated this option. Maybe there is still some solution for this?

Otherwise, it works great!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy