Daily Mobile Forum
18 April 2014, 20:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: DailyMobile is looking for a few good writers.  If you're interested, go here for details.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: nokia Multitasking is crap..  (Read 2169 times)
pasmater
Forum Guru

Current Phone:
5800 xm

Activity
0%

« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2011, 09:55 »

Thats the price of having larger screens, combined with faster and more powerful chipsets. I doubt even Symbian would have battery life to flaunt if they had the same hardware.

Symbian doesn't use much of CPU power, and believe would be more fluent and better with 1Ghz processors and still wouldn't suck less battery than Android.
But reality is that for now future of Symbian is known, thanks to Android and iOS which have "modern" UI architecture.  But I wouldn't just sign off Symbian easily. With new Anna and Belle it will shine some more and time will show what will happen.

usta
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:
Samsung Galaxy SII (Android 4.0)

Activity
0%

« Reply #16 on: 19 July 2011, 10:07 »

I am going to move S^3 again.. Symbian is slow, but better than Android..

It is your choice.
There are millions of users who think otherwise...

Regarding battery life - My Desire had it worst when in OS 2.1. Then it improved with v2.2, and later was at its best with v2.3. So, I conclude that Google made many optimizations with the later OS versions.
In addition, the manufacturer UIs also consume a lot of resources. Sense UI for example is quite heavy. I now have a purer Gingerbread optimized ROM (Oxygen), get 2 full days of battery life with my normal usage. Once I went to minimal usage and it lasted 4 days. A friend has SE Xperia Play with the official SE UI, and that phone lags more and uses more battery power than mine.

nicesoni_ash
Retired Moderator
Forum Legend

Current Phone:
Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300)

Activity
5%

« Reply #17 on: 19 July 2011, 10:13 »

Uh, on Nokia, Email is always working in the background, even if you dont see it in the task manager, because its meant to be invisible from the task manager. You can see it if you use a third party task manager. Also, most of the things you see running in the background on a Droid, like clock, messaging, email, music, etc, are also all running in the background on a Nokia device

You can of course disable them by using a mod or so, you can even stop them from auto starting after a reboot.. that's much better comparing to android..
chanchan05
Forum Elder

Current Phone:
Samsung Galaxy SL + 5800 Xpressmusic

Activity
0%

« Reply #18 on: 19 July 2011, 12:17 »

You can of course disable them by using a mod or so, you can even stop them from auto starting after a reboot.. that's much better comparing to android..

Its not like you can't stop them with a mod in Android as well, because you can if you wanted to. But most people dont want to, because they bought an Android to use those stuff.Just my opinion, If a person arent gonna be using emails, calendar, facebook contacts sync and the like which are available and working in the background on Android, and only want to use your phone for calling and sending texts, why would anyone buy an Android in the first place? Thats the reason why they sell Corby's and S40s, for people who dont want the frills of smartphones.

nicesoni_ash
Retired Moderator
Forum Legend

Current Phone:

Activity
5%

« Reply #19 on: 19 July 2011, 13:31 »

Just my opinion, If a person arent gonna be using emails, calendar, facebook contacts sync and the like which are available and working in the background on Android

Lol, do you really think if we disable contact, calender, clock etc in the background, they won't show contacts at right time, or show calender entries correctly when you open calender or show correct time.., then this just happens in android, not in symbian.. coz we do get all these things .. Disabling them would save the ram of course, mod is to remove them from staying in memory.., though they would work as how they should work, not that they would stop working..

chanchan05
Forum Elder

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #20 on: 19 July 2011, 16:40 »

Lol, do you really think if we disable contact, calender, clock etc in the background, they won't show contacts at right time, or show calender entries correctly when you open calender or show correct time.., then this just happens in android, not in symbian.. coz we do get all these things .. Disabling them would save the ram of course, mod is to remove them from staying in memory.., though they would work as how they should work, not that they would stop working..

LOL. You CANT disable the clock on Symbian because you dont see it on the task manager because its not an app in Symbian. Its registered as a .exe process inside the system, you can use KillMe to see these under the D header. For example on your N97 newly turned on. You open the task manager and you see that you have no app running except Menu and Homescreen, and yet you only have 40mb out of 128mb free, why is that? Because there is a "clock.exe" (not its real code) process running which eats up RAM. The Clock app you see on the task manager whenever you access the clock settings and so is simply the app interface that accesses certain complementary processes to "clock.exe", and not the actual clock app, because there is no clock app for Symbian.

Same with contacts and calendar and such. All default processes in Symbian such as clock, calendar, contacts, messaging, etc arent apps. This is why you cant see or kill them using ANY task manager. Trying to do so would result to a phone reboot. This is unlike Android wherein these processes are sandboxed from each other as apps.

The thing is, you guys seem to think that Android and Symbian works exactly the same in complaining "why cant I turn off the clock app in Android everytime I try, but on Symbian I can!", but you cant turn off it in Symbian as well, the only difference is that on Android you can see the Clock app and other running apps in a task manager, while on Symbian it is hidden from view, because they're not apps. What did you think was eating the 70mb RAM of your n97's 128mb? Bounce?

For the record, from nicesoni_ash's post, he seems to think I know nothing about Symbian. I've used Symbian for years and is a rather highly ranked member of the Nokia official discussion boards. I've owned my first Android less than a month. I'd say I'd know a bit of how Symbian works, thank you.
nicesoni_ash
Retired Moderator
Forum Legend

Current Phone:

Activity
5%

« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2011, 16:59 »

Lol... You take things too seriously.. Tongue

No way I was referring to you as a less known to symbian or much love bird to android.. I can't complain about android as I never used it though I love symbian coz I am a constant user of symbian thus I know it's limitations or features..

As about your so long post, it surely explained how much you know symbian or how well you understood my post.. I was answering or may be supporting the OP post that symbian is indeed much better in handling multitasking.. I know clock app is referring to clock.exe and so on, but I was indeed referring to these .exe processes.. I don't know how much great you are in Symbian knowledge.. (I am not that great, but as I am a long time symbian user and do know enough about symbian up to my brain capacity), I am sure either you don't know about proper symbian mods or didn't think about them as these mods do kill the main processes of these apps thus won't let them stay in background thus saving more RAM.. I don't own an N97 thus can't say much about it's RAM usage though I have an N8 and I know how to save it's RAM by using some mods..

And no, you are wrong.. Killing these processes such as clock or calender or such safe processes won't reboot your phone, it'll just take a few extra seconds though to run these apps again as main processes wouldn't be running at that time..

I can easily go ahead but there is no point in arguing as I wasn't here in this thread to argue about which OS is best.. I thought to give some inputs about how symbian mods can do a little bit extra in saving RAM or closing some apps we don't want to run in background.. Thanks. I would better stay in symbian as more Symbian fan boys.. Good luck.

P.S. Oh and by the way, when you say you guys, well I am not in those guys, coz I never complained about android as I never used it, though I saw a lot of complaint and lots of happy users too as in Symbian community so each OS has it's haters and lovers.. Cheesy
chanchan05
Forum Elder

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2011, 17:29 »

Lol... You take things too seriously.. Tongue

No way I was referring to you as a less known to symbian or much love bird to android.. I can't complain about android as I never used it though I love symbian coz I am a constant user of symbian thus I know it's limitations or features..

As about your so long post, it surely explained how much you know symbian or how well you understood my post.. I was answering or may be supporting the OP post that symbian is indeed much better in handling multitasking.. I know clock app is referring to clock.exe and so on, but I was indeed referring to these .exe processes.. I don't know how much great you are in Symbian knowledge.. (I am not that great, but as I am a long time symbian user and do know enough about symbian up to my brain capacity), I am sure either you don't know about proper symbian mods or didn't think about them as these mods do kill the main processes of these apps thus won't let them stay in background thus saving more RAM.. I don't own an N97 thus can't say much about it's RAM usage though I have an N8 and I know how to save it's RAM by using some mods..

And no, you are wrong.. Killing these processes such as clock or calender or such safe processes won't reboot your phone, it'll just take a few extra seconds though to run these apps again as main processes wouldn't be running at that time..

I can easily go ahead but there is no point in arguing as I wasn't here in this thread to argue about which OS is best.. I thought to give some inputs about how symbian mods can do a little bit extra in saving RAM or closing some apps we don't want to run in background.. Thanks. I would better stay in symbian as more Symbian fan boys.. Good luck.

P.S. Oh and by the way, when you say you guys, well I am not in those guys, coz I never complained about android as I never used it, though I saw a lot of complaint and lots of happy users too as in Symbian community so each OS has it's haters and lovers.. Cheesy

LOL. I dont know if English is your first language, but the way you wrote had a "tone" of 'maybe you dont know but in Symbian we're like this'.... It just sort of came off the other end the wrong way.

I am not really GREAT on Symbian, I can be mistaken from time to time and never took time to learn how to make CFW. Furthermore, when I said rebooting, it is simply a possibility as they are read with a set of processes that MAY reboot your phone when stopeed. They're listed together. Also, I've never seen a mod that has killed the "clock.exe" process of symbian, as again that would stop the clock. They cant be killed. The clock you are probably referring to as being killed is not the embedded clock process of Symbian, but the clock app. There is a difference. I think you misunderstood me on that part. You cant kill the clock on Symbian as much as you cant kill the clock on Android. As long as that clock of the phone is ticking, then the Symbian clock.exe/Android clock app is running and not killed.

And just to clarify, I am not saying Android is better or Symbian is better, I am simply stating that the two OS works too differently to make a head to head comparison without knowing the inherent differences in how each OS runs. Take again for example this task manager thing. Its different because the OS is different in how it handles this stuff. On Android, it doesnt matter if you have lots of RAM left or too little left as it shouldnt be slowing your phone down even if you have 90% used up. Symbian on the other hand slows down when too little RAM is left. This in itself is a testament to how different the approach of the two systems from each other.
Jonas1975
Administrator
The Immortal

Current Phone:
Nokia Lumia 920 / Asus Transformer Prime

Activity
87%

Patience is the companion of wisdom

« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2011, 17:55 »

On Android, it doesnt matter if you have lots of RAM left or too little left as it shouldnt be slowing your phone down

It shouldn't but it does.  And it could kill automatically an app that you didn't want to because you would prefer other app to be killed if the RAM goes to low.  On the other hand, your phone will not slow down until completely crash (or at least less often) as it occurs on Symbian.  So both have their problems... Tongue

Btw, the "back" button doesn't kill the app.  It will remain open (what a pain...) and no one can convince me that this is optimized multitasking because I only see it as a clumsy way to deal with it. So I am a fan of the "Close", "Exit", "Quit" or the simple "X".  Grin   I own the phone, I will tell him what should be open and what should be closed!  Wink
chanchan05
Forum Elder

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #24 on: 20 July 2011, 03:06 »

It shouldn't but it does.  And it could kill automatically an app that you didn't want to because you would prefer other app to be killed if the RAM goes to low.  On the other hand, your phone will not slow down until completely crash (or at least less often) as it occurs on Symbian.  So both have their problems... Tongue

Btw, the "back" button doesn't kill the app.  It will remain open (what a pain...) and no one can convince me that this is optimized multitasking because I only see it as a clumsy way to deal with it. So I am a fan of the "Close", "Exit", "Quit" or the simple "X".  Grin   I own the phone, I will tell him what should be open and what should be closed!  Wink

That's why I said it "SHOULDNT". However I seem to think it may have to do with what sort of apps are left running. I've been in cases where my phone is as snappy as ever but when I check the RAM, only very little is free, but there have been times when my phone seemed to slow down but there was a lot of RAM left. And a number of apps do have the exit button when you tap menu.

Although I do agree that a lot of us would like better control, but that's what task managers are for IMO. Even of Symbian I tend to install third party task managers because the stock one does not let me see all the processes. For example, the camera is in use bug on the C6 and N97 can be solved using a third party task manager closing the camera app. However if you use the stock task manager, it doesnt show the camera app open.

All in all, this has become a bit OT, since the main topic was stock Android task manager vs stock Symbian task manager. Both have their uses, but none would be better than a third party one.

Manindra

Current Phone:
Lg optimus one (void forever v 2.3.4)

Activity
0%

« Reply #25 on: 05 August 2011, 04:24 »

Now I m an android user and the first day I use it I m in love with this os. Why u guys can't adjust to new things I was a symbian user but never experienced so rich experience as android actually as u were symbian lover u still feel love for it otherwise android is better than symbian.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy