Daily Mobile Forum
24 April 2014, 07:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read the FORUM RULES - Ignoring the rules will end up with a ban so do NOT ask for registrations keys or share warez links / cracked applications. You have been warned!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nokia N8 PR 1.1 firmware - Browser speed test  (Read 7508 times)
Phat^Trance
The Immortal

Current Phone:
iPhone 4 /3GS  - Nokia N8 / C7 / N95

Activity
0%

In Trance We Trust

« on: 15 January 2011, 13:43 »

Nokia N8 PR1.1 Web Browser Test
Here is a browser speed test of the new Nokia N8 PR 1.1 firmware that will be available soon.
DailyMobile is loading pretty quick, Engadget mobile version is loading fast, BUT Engadget full is loading pretty slow. But hey, Engadget is a big site with lots of flash content and pictures. As you can see when the Nokia has loaded the Engadget site it's pretty quick. Kinetic scrolling is working sort of .

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGKGCNkSOG4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGKGCNkSOG4</a>
[Via Thx Jonas]

Hajter
Crazy Poster

Activity
0%

« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2011, 15:31 »

Engadget is always slow, at least for me Smiley
derjurist

Current Phone:
Nokia N97

Activity
0%

« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2011, 19:05 »

doesnt look a lot better than the browser of my n97... kinda poor for a device that just got shipped.
jumojn
Forum Guru

Current Phone:
Nokia N8 !! N8 FTW!! Smiley

Activity
0%

« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2011, 20:30 »

Erhm thx jonas Sad It was he who suggested it ! I recorded it Tongue

JAZIP
Forum Guru

Current Phone:
Nokia N8, Nokia N9, iPhone 4S Work Phone =(

Activity
0%

Go to funlexia.com for funny stuff! =)

« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2011, 03:11 »

Erhm thx jonas Sad It was he who suggested it ! I recorded it Tongue

Thanks for the video!

Does the browser have a new version number?

jumojn
Forum Guru

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2011, 10:05 »

Thanks for the video!

Does the browser have a new version number?

No.
joshuashawharvey

Current Phone:
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Activity
0%

« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2011, 12:01 »

Thank you for the video.

I 'll admit, I haven't used PR 1.1 just yet, however I've watched a few videos. It appears to be yet another huge disappointment and embarrassment from Nokia.

From my perspective of watching these videos, I see absolutely no improvements in kinetic scrolling (if it can be called that in the N8's browser) or even speed.
Menu and option buttons appear still as unresponsive as ever. The OS still appears generally sluggish. It's apparent that nothing has been improved in terms of what we see (meaning visuals, speed, responsiveness etc.). I obviously cannot account for any bug fixes, but when it comes to the mass consumer, what they see is what they believe. Perhaps all of this will come in PR 2.0, but that's even more waiting.

I think the majority of so-called speed increases that people see here are just a placebo effect. If you're happy with that then that's absolutely fine, but my personal opinion and credibility of Nokia is still very much in decline. The market agrees with my sentiment, just look at the figures.

I can understand there being no improvements when it comes to the browser. What's the point in improving something that is only going to be replaced in a few months time? But on the other hand this is the browser we have now, and taking into consideration Nokia's delays, possibly for even longer than thought.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, especially with not even using the PR 1.1 update yet, but I can't help but be critical of Nokia after so many let downs.
illbeanz

Activity
0%

« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2011, 12:24 »

I can understand there being no improvements when it comes to the browser. What's the point in improving something that is only going to be replaced in a few months time?

What makes you think they will replace the browser?
Cluelessjedi

Current Phone:
N8

Activity
0%

« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2011, 12:42 »

Thank you for the video.

I 'll admit, I haven't used PR 1.1 just yet, however I've watched a few videos. It appears to be yet another huge disappointment and embarrassment from Nokia.

From my perspective of watching these videos, I see absolutely no improvements in kinetic scrolling (if it can be called that in the N8's browser) or even speed.
Menu and option buttons appear still as unresponsive as ever. The OS still appears generally sluggish. It's apparent that nothing has been improved in terms of what we see (meaning visuals, speed, responsiveness etc.). I obviously cannot account for any bug fixes, but when it comes to the mass consumer, what they see is what they believe. Perhaps all of this will come in PR 2.0, but that's even more waiting.

I think the majority of so-called speed increases that people see here are just a placebo effect. If you're happy with that then that's absolutely fine, but my personal opinion and credibility of Nokia is still very much in decline. The market agrees with my sentiment, just look at the figures.

I can understand there being no improvements when it comes to the browser. What's the point in improving something that is only going to be replaced in a few months time? But on the other hand this is the browser we have now, and taking into consideration Nokia's delays, possibly for even longer than thought.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh, especially with not even using the PR 1.1 update yet, but I can't help but be critical of Nokia after so many let downs.

A well worded representation of how so many people feel, including me  +1 for you
jumojn
Forum Guru

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2011, 13:25 »

Thank you for the video.

Things should be fixed in PR 2.0 . It should have the new browser too ,built on QT. It could be so that nokia want's to put this browser into MeeGo to. Because it's built on QT. That browser could be kick ass if they are going to use it on multi platform . Maemo, Meego , Symbian^3

Sleeper_Service
Crazy Poster

Current Phone:
Nokia N8, Nokia N86, ZTE Blade, iPhone 3GS

Activity
0%

« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2011, 15:03 »

Well given that PR1.1 is just a polish and stability fix and Nokia were pretty clear that's all it was ever going to be I'm not sure what you were expecting.  After all Nokia has also been pretty clear that PR2.0 due at the end of February is where the first round of UI enhancements will occur.

I think your disappointment is a reflection of your own false expectations.
joshuashawharvey

Current Phone:
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Activity
0%

« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2011, 15:40 »

Well given that PR1.1 is just a polish and stability fix and Nokia were pretty clear that's all it was ever going to be I'm not sure what you were expecting.  After all Nokia has also been pretty clear that PR2.0 due at the end of February is where the first round of UI enhancements will occur.

I think your disappointment is a reflection of your own false expectations.

My disappointment is a reflection of being a long time supporter of Symbian and Nokia, watching their competitors advance in terms of usability, credibility and market share whilst they do very little about it. Nokia is being pushed to the ranks of obscurity by the prowess of its competitors.

There is nothing revolutionary or even evolutionary about Symbian^3 in comparison to S60 v5. The longer Nokia take ironing out problems that shouldn't have existed in the first place, the more they fall behind to the likes of their competitors.

The smartphone market is quickly forgetting about Nokia. Their market share in India, one of their main markets, has dropped a huge 40% in 2 years!

Nokia's stance in the phone arena is unsustainable in a market that is over saturated with products that are more advanced in terms of ease-of-use, developer support, aesthetics and longevity.

My expectation was that Symbian would bounce back to being a credible smartphone OS with Symbian^3. There are problems in Symbian^3 that existed when S60 v5 was released over 24 months ago! They have let everyone down.
Cluelessjedi

Current Phone:
N8

Activity
0%

« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2011, 16:23 »

My disappointment is a reflection of being a long time supporter of Symbian and Nokia, watching their competitors advance in terms of usability, credibility and market share whilst they do very little about it. Nokia is being pushed to the ranks of obscurity by the prowess of its competitors.

There is nothing revolutionary or even evolutionary about Symbian^3 in comparison to S60 v5. The longer Nokia take ironing out problems that shouldn't have existed in the first place, the more they fall behind to the likes of their competitors.

The smartphone market is quickly forgetting about Nokia. Their market share in India, one of their main markets, has dropped a huge 40% in 2 years!

Nokia's stance in the phone arena is unsustainable in a market that is over saturated with products that are more advanced in terms of ease-of-use, developer support, aesthetics and longevity.

My expectation was that Symbian would bounce back to being a credible smartphone OS with Symbian^3. There are problems in Symbian^3 that existed when S60 v5 was released over 24 months ago! They have let everyone down.

Again, i agree with everything you are saying. you ain't alone on this Josh
skiba

Activity
0%

« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2011, 16:38 »

My advice is to change to Androis or iOS, if you think they are superior. No point in sticking with Nokia and being bitter about it. If theres a better alternative for you then go for it.
I chose Nokia knowing it's limitations and benefits over other phones. I'm happy with it because the differences arent that big, I can live with them. Browser is the bigggest thing I'm missing, but opera will do.   
I'm certain Symbian will advence alot, in 2.0 and 3.0 but as always it takes time....after all it's Nokia.

With the dropping shares, maybe nokia has finally understood that they need to get with the times
Sleeper_Service
Crazy Poster

Current Phone:
Nokia N8, Nokia N86, ZTE Blade, iPhone 3GS

Activity
0%

« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2011, 17:07 »

What would you rather they do?  Rush it out and have an even bigger credibility gap?  

Nonsense.  Symbian continually evolved throughout its iterations in the 5800, continued to evolve in S^3's initial relapse and evolves further through the PR updates.

I think you'll find that's phones overall.  The market share loss is due to ultra cheap dual SIM card phones, not smartphones. Nokia's share remain stable or has increased there.

So they had better change it.  Which I believe is what they're doing.  Unfortunately you can't turn an oil tanker on a sixpence.  It takes time.

No.  They have let YOU down.  Having seen Symbian go from a poor touchscreen implementation in the original 5800 firmware to reasonable with v5 to nearly there with S^3 and with the real promise of closing the final loopholes - browser and keyboard in a month or two I feel pretty positive for the future.  I bought my N8 knowing this and am not disappointed - S^3 is better then S^1 (the removal of the whole double tap model makes an enormous difference) and will continue to evolve.

I understand your frustration but you  surely you knew the score from the reviews and the road map Nokia published?  If you feel Nokia has falen so far behind then move on.  Just don't be a little disappointed, as I was, when you find out the grass isn't really greener on the other side.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy