Daily Mobile Forum
25 April 2014, 09:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Read the FORUM RULES - Ignoring the rules will end up with a ban so do NOT ask for registrations keys or share warez links / cracked applications. You have been warned!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nokia N8 Overview - Part 1 of 3  (Read 4583 times)
optom

Current Phone:
Nokia C7-00, Samsung Galaxy S, Nokia 5800 (C6-00 FW)

Activity
0%

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2010, 21:24 »

Noone has said anything about an inability to  install symbian^4 on symbian^3 hardware and if the developer community is that vested in the device, it will happen.

About your complaint on Symbian^1 devices being unable to upgrade, I gotta ask you a question, would you install Windows 7 on a computer from 2005 and expect it to run well?
If your answer is "No" then thats why Symbian^1 devices can't be upgraded. It's a matter of hardware rather than any limitation of the software itself.

Well said. And the question that immediately arises, why didnt nokia use better hardware in the first instance? To keep costs down. I wouldnt have paid 300 for my 5800 even if it had top notch stuff.
Just look at iphone 3g, it won't be compatible with iphone os4! Or htc g1 not getting android 2.2....list goes on! And its impossible to anticipate what hardware will be out in a few years.

kebes
Crazy Poster

Current Phone:
Nokia N900, Nokia 5800 unbranded red v.50

Activity
0%

Picture by Banksy

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2010, 21:33 »

The video is terrible! The guy talks in such an unenthusiastic way and the video itself is so terribly edited that it makes a boring symbian even more boring. I agree that symbian has some advantages over other os'es but (let me repeat myself) it is boring. I agree that Symbian 3 doesn't bring anything revolutionary. They have just polished the current s60v5 and called it Symbian 3. Nice move, but people won't be fooled.

I'm currently using Maemo 5 and I think this is where Nokia should concentrate the most of its development efforts. Maemo is fresh and easy to work with and has a great potential. 
skiba

Activity
0%

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2010, 23:46 »

The video is terrible! The guy talks in such an unenthusiastic way and the video itself is so terribly edited that it makes a boring symbian even more boring.

Got that right. That video was depressing.
You shouldn't put software engineers on these promo videos.

I agree that symbian has some advantages over other os'es but (let me repeat myself) it is boring. I agree that Symbian 3 doesn't bring anything revolutionary. They have just polished the current s60v5 and called it Symbian 3. Nice move, but people won't be fooled.

I agree that it's the same old boring UI, but the real changes are under the hood like better memory management, faster networking, acceleration for 2D and 3D graphics, HDMI output support and Multi-touch.

The N8 did fairly well in benchmark test that was posted here some day ago.
Atleast gaming should be up to par on this phone.

"The folks at FinestFones just published their Nokia N8 benchmark and our Nokia readers are really gonna love the results! According to Jay from MyNokiaBlog the Nokia N8 is 244% faster than Nokia N97, 90% faster than Samsung i8910 HD and the Nokia N8 pushes more triangles than iPhone 3GS, Droid and Nexus One."

http://www.dailymobile.net/2010/05/23/benchmark-nokia-n8-is-faster-samsung-i8910-hd-and-nokia-n97/
EarlZ
Forum Guru

Current Phone:
Samsung i9000 Galaxy S 16GB

Activity
0%

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2010, 00:54 »

Symbian was the most powerfull OS in the market before.

There fixed it for you
mawerick

Current Phone:
SGS2,Nokia N9,Nokia N8

Activity
0%

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2010, 01:25 »

There fixed it for you

Tell me which OS that can do all the thing that Symbian can?
I`ll tell you. NONE.

chanchan05
Forum Elder

Current Phone:
Samsung Galaxy SL + 5800 Xpressmusic

Activity
0%

« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2010, 01:42 »

Symbian^3 is pointless, really. I think it was just made as a quick fix to the current situation, I'll be waiting for Symbian^4. Nokia made a really big flaw here, take a look at iPhoneOS, Android, they're all upgradable, if Symbian^1 can't be upgraded to Symbian^3, i doubt it'll be able to upgrade to Symbian^4, as it doesn't resemble Symbian^3 at all. Well at least Symbian^3 does resemble Symbian^1 in some ways... Well, to some of us here, it might not be big deal, but think about it, Syambian^4 phones will be out in 2011 Q1, and during that time Symbian^3 is still new, if it isn't upgradable, Nokia will have another software to take care of! They simply can't discontinue support for phones which are only 6 months old! What is the secret behind Google/Apple's success? Because they only have a software to work on, but take a look at Nokia, they need to work on s40, s60v1, s60v3, s60v5, Maemo, Meego, Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 soon. Maemo software proved success, Nokia should discontinue legacy software except s60v3 maybe for keypad phones, and bring Maemo/Meego to their touchscreen phones, hire better UI designers and phone designers, since most of their phones looks old fashioned, and so does their UI. I know this sounds much easier than being done, but Nokia you know what to do Cheesy

No one said anything about Symbian^1 not being upgradeable. Its just that the current Nokia phones cannot handle Symbian^3, making upgrade impossible. Its not anything on the OS' fault, its the phone hardware fault.
EarlZ
Forum Guru

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2010, 05:21 »

No one said anything about Symbian^1 not being upgradeable. Its just that the current Nokia phones cannot handle Symbian^3, making upgrade impossible. Its not anything on the OS' fault, its the phone hardware fault.

Basically your saying that Symbian^3 is full of bloat that it needs a better hardware to run?

The only significant upgrade I can recall from Symbian^3 is a better support for hardware accelerated graphics on its UI.
EarlZ
Forum Guru

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2010, 05:36 »

Symbian is the most powerfull OS in the market now. First OS to support HD recording and HDMI output was Symbian, it was not Android or IPhone because these OS ware made too as simple as possible.
IPhone 4 will support folders, it will remove limitation on how many apps can be installed and have multitasking. Wow. My old 3 yaer old N95 could do all that.
Android Froyo can now use LED as video light for camcoder, camera now supports portrait orientation, can install applications on the shared external storage. Another WOW. These is old staff, at least 3-4 years.

Only problem with Symbian is that is was not a open source system, but these has changed.

Tell me which OS that can do all the thing that Symbian can?
I`ll tell you. NONE.

EVO 4G has HDMI out, a lot of released andriod powred devices have HD video recording so no the N8 is not the first, infact its one of the devices that needs to catch up even before getting released. All of the things that can be done by Symbian can be done buy all other mobile OS and can be done significantly better. The only unique thing about symbian is that it needed to be improved for better touch screen support and hardware acceleration for its UI, w/c the Iphone OS and Andriod is already made for that since day 1.

Symbian is like probably like more than 10years old while Andriod is 2-3yrs old perhaps and already andriod is leap forging symbian in terms of functionality and speed.

I still wish Nokia and N8 the best of luck, since the N8 is the entry level device for Symbian^3

mawerick

Current Phone:
SGS2,Nokia N9,Nokia N8

Activity
0%

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2010, 05:51 »

Omnia HD is the first phone with HD capabilities and it is S60v5. It was out last year.
emely79

Activity
0%

« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2010, 10:47 »

i have to say that i am waiting to the N8 like mad but after looking at that video i am not sure now

i have N97 21.0.45 FW and it is running good and i love him but i want some change and i see that nokia will not give me that
i am using allso samsung ultra touch and he is running so good and so clean that i can't think way nokia can't give me that feeling in a device from 2010 and up

sory nokia but you are still not in the right way for me and you did it again like in the N97 even if i enjoy fom him (as much as i can after all the updates)

oreo27
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:
Nokia 701 (Quicken Internal Alpha Belle FP2) ||||| Created using Nokia Cooker

Activity
10%

Welcoming my little angel into this world :)

« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2010, 11:04 »

judging from the videos, it is definitely much more fluid than before. however, it can still be improved. a little bit more and i'm actually sold on this one, considering the price.
chanchan05
Forum Elder

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2010, 12:13 »

Basically your saying that Symbian^3 is full of bloat that it needs a better hardware to run?

The only significant upgrade I can recall from Symbian^3 is a better support for hardware accelerated graphics on its UI.

No. On the Symbian website, Symbian^3 is stated as using a 3D graphics engine that requires Open GL ES support. That's not bloat. The problem is the Nokia phones currently dont have a GPU. A letter sent to Symbian said that they are working on the possibility of sending Symbian^3 as an update to Symbian^1 phones, but that would only be possible to Satio, Vivaz and i8910 IF (and a very big IF) their GPUs have Open GL ES support.
chanchan05
Forum Elder

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2010, 12:18 »

EVO 4G has HDMI out, a lot of released andriod powred devices have HD video recording so no the N8 is not the first, infact its one of the devices that needs to catch up even before getting released. All of the things that can be done by Symbian can be done buy all other mobile OS and can be done significantly better. The only unique thing about symbian is that it needed to be improved for better touch screen support and hardware acceleration for its UI, w/c the Iphone OS and Andriod is already made for that since day 1.

Symbian is like probably like more than 10years old while Andriod is 2-3yrs old perhaps and already andriod is leap forging symbian in terms of functionality and speed.

I still wish Nokia and N8 the best of luck, since the N8 is the entry level device for Symbian^3

You still havent answered the guy's question. He's asking what OS can do everything that Symbian can. 4G support and HDMI are hardware features of the phone, not OS dependent.
EarlZ
Forum Guru

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2010, 12:39 »

You still havent answered the guy's question. He's asking what OS can do everything that Symbian can. 4G support and HDMI are hardware features of the phone, not OS dependent.

Actually I already did since his argument only mentioned HD recording and HDMI, he didnt say anything else that is exclusive to symbian^3 and frankly I dont see anything that symbian can do that other mobiles OSes cant.
masochist

Activity
0%

« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2010, 21:11 »

Actually I already did since his argument only mentioned HD recording and HDMI, he didnt say anything else that is exclusive to symbian^3 and frankly  I dont see anything that symbian can do that other mobiles OSes cant.

iPhone OS just implemented multitasking while Symbian already has multitasking at least 6 years ago.
Android OS just allowed installing apps on external memory on Android Froyo.

So yes, many things other OSes can't do, Symbian is way ahead. About UI, blame it on Nokia, not Symbian.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy