Daily Mobile Forum
25 April 2014, 04:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: DailyMobile is looking for a few good writers.  If you're interested, go here for details.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guide: How to convert videos for Nokia 5800XM/N97 using Format Factory  (Read 72311 times)
usta
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:
Samsung Galaxy SII (Android 4.0)

Activity
0%

« on: 27 July 2009, 17:22 »

I hope this simple guide will help most of you to enjoy watching videos on your Nokia 5800XM/N97.

There are a lot of free video converters that can be used to make videos ready to be played in Nokia 5800XM/N97 and other S60V5 devices. Below is a guide to convert videos using one of such tools: Format Factory. This tool has many advantages: it is free, it doesn’t require a bunch of other software and codecs to be installed on your PC, it doesn’t mess with the existing codec libraries, it is easy and intuitive for beginners, it is multifunctional (can be used for other conversions beside the above mentioned phone models), it has enough power to be be used for advanced tasks (multi-audio, support for external subs, etc…).

Note:
The latest version of this software is 2.50.

OK, enough talk, let’s go:

1. Download the application here: http://www.formatoz.com

2. Install and run it.

3. Select “All to Mobile Device”.

4. Select in the list the preset Nokia 5800XM (also if you have a Nokia N97), select “Save as default” to make this the default choice and hit OK. You don't have to change the below settings, since they are already optimized for your phone. However, if you have the latest version (v2.10), you can select the N97 preset.

5. Select “Add File” and select the video file to convert (you can also select multiple files and make a batch conversion! Kiss). Then select the “Output folder” where your converted files will be saved and check the “Append setting name” (so that you don’t overwrite the original file accidentally) and hit OK.

6. Final step: hit the Start and relax till the job is done. If you don’t have the patience to wait for the task to complete, select the option “After converting shut down computer” in the low-right corner.

That’s it. Cool
If you need some additional options, select these in the “Output settings” (for example, to add an external subtitles, or to select the desired audio stream from the original multi-track file). Enjoy. Smiley

tshrjain

Current Phone:
iPhone 5S

Activity
1%

« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2009, 17:29 »

does it convert .rmv and .rmvb formats to mp4 or mpeg-4?
pratik322

Activity
0%

« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2009, 17:45 »

I have been using this for quite a while and i must say its pretty simple fast and sense but the problem in using this is that you cannot change the aspect ratio while playing in 5800 using the change aspect ratio option which has 3 options strech, zoom & original.
can you help on that?? Huh
usta
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2009, 17:47 »

It should be able to convert rmvb files to MP4 format supported by 5800XM. Just follow the above steps.

Hmm. You certainly can select the desired aspect ratio in conversion settings. This has options like Automatic (detects and keeps the source aspect ratio), Fully Expand (no black borders, if the source is not 16:9), 4:3, 16:9 (will force anything to this aspect), etc... If you can't change the aspect on phone (why do you want that?), then I suggest you to compare the source video settings with the converted ones. If the source has 16:9 aspect ratio, then stretch and original would be the same (zoom should work though). You can also try to convert the same source video using the same parameters with a different converter.
pratik322

Activity
0%

« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2009, 18:32 »

i understand the point but there are instances like i always play friends which are available in 4:3 aspect ratio and why friends i think most of the T.V. series are in 4:3 unlike top gear, my point over here is at times you like to enjoy full screen video without messing the proportions i.e. zoom it while when we convert it through format factory aspect ratio is stuck we cant zoom while we have the facility on 5800 , though i admitt FF is best for me, but still i reserve that its best when the original video aspect ratio is 16:9 or near it, coz else you have to have black lines or deformed characters in the video. 

As you rightly pointed out that if the source is 16:9 then original and stretch shall be the same and I do understand that, BUT the thing is that ZOOM don't work herein that's my point.

usta
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2009, 19:22 »

If the video source is anything other than 16:9 try forcing the aspect ratio to this mode. If the result is not acceptable to you, just try another converter. Fortunately, there are many freeware alternatives there. Cool
roocket

Activity
0%

« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2009, 16:15 »

How to get Swedish subtitles in the subtitles, have set to nordic ansi without results.
uugh@hotmail.com

Activity
0%

« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2009, 17:37 »

ff converts at highest resolution, so you cant zoom. set it at less res. and you should be able to:) But why would you???
usta
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2009, 17:47 »

Try ANSI Latin (West Europe). The Nordic is probably OEM (may cause issues).
If this doesn't work, just upload the sub file and I'll have a look at it.

ff converts at highest resolution, so you cant zoom. set it at less res. and you should be able to:) But why would you???

There is some amount of zoom in converted videos when you watch 5800XM (you see this especially when viewing VGA videos from natural aspect to zoom). However, using it crops the edges of video and moves too much to the center.
Actually, you don't need the zoom feature. The subs are readable on 5800XM, and best viewed on TV using the TV-OUT cable.
roocket

Activity
0%

« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2009, 20:38 »

Tanks for the tip! but unfortanlly it dosent work, Its just the swedish letters ÅÄÖ that dosent work, I Upload the sub.

* bolox-nm.rar (32.31 KB - downloaded 29 times.)

usta
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2009, 21:25 »

Oh I see. Grin
If you select 1257-ANSI Baltic, it should show the subs properly. Smiley
roocket

Activity
0%

« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2009, 22:27 »

if i select 1257-ansi Baltic it only shows åäö as squares, what configurations do you use?
usta
Retired Moderator
Forum Super Legend

Current Phone:

Activity
0%

« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2009, 22:53 »

That is strange.
I've loaded the ansi Baltic subs into N5800XM configuration (see the guide). See the attached file and check the subs at 4sec and at 14sec playback time (ignore the actual video Wink).

* zzz [Nokia 58xxXM].mp4 (3404.53 KB - downloaded 95 times.)
130130y

Activity
0%

« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2009, 03:21 »

will try this and see
if it can stitch together 4 vids easily
coz most dvd movies that came to me
is made up or 4 sep-rate vid files, you see
roocket

Activity
0%

« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2009, 09:47 »

I use these settings[img]file:///C:/Users/Razz/Pictures/printscreen.jpg/img]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Daily Mobile - Daily iPhone Blog - Contact us - Forum Rules - © Copyright MAS Media Inc. | Privacy