I hope this simple guide will help most of you to enjoy watching videos on your Nokia 5800XM/N97.
There are a lot of free video converters that can be used to make videos ready to be played in Nokia 5800XM/N97 and other S60V5 devices. Below is a guide to convert videos using one of such tools: Format Factory. This tool has many advantages: it is free, it doesn’t require a bunch of other software and codecs to be installed on your PC, it doesn’t mess with the existing codec libraries, it is easy and intuitive for beginners, it is multifunctional (can be used for other conversions beside the above mentioned phone models), it has enough power to be be used for advanced tasks (multi-audio, support for external subs, etc…). Note:
The latest version of this software is 2.50.
OK, enough talk, let’s go:
1. Download the application here: http://www.formatoz.com
2. Install and run it.
3. Select “All to Mobile Device”.
4. Select in the list the preset Nokia 5800XM (also if you have a Nokia N97), select “Save as default” to make this the default choice and hit OK. You don't have to change the below settings, since they are already optimized for your phone. However, if you have the latest version (v2.10), you can select the N97 preset.
5. Select “Add File” and select the video file to convert (you can also select multiple files and make a batch conversion!
). Then select the “Output folder” where your converted files will be saved and check the “Append setting name” (so that you don’t overwrite the original file accidentally) and hit OK.
6. Final step: hit the Start and relax till the job is done. If you don’t have the patience to wait for the task to complete, select the option “After converting shut down computer” in the low-right corner.
If you need some additional options, select these in the “Output settings” (for example, to add an external subtitles, or to select the desired audio stream from the original multi-track file). Enjoy.