Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default 5800 Processor - How much overclocking can it take?

I know that phone processors behave somewhat similarly to computer processors in that if you overclock them to a level that strains them considerably, you will encounter instabilities. I'm just wondering, since the 5800 has been overclocked to 434 Mhz, can it go any more higher?

Not familiar with the ARM 11 architecture, but if anyone has insights on this processor, do you think it's possible?

I guess the reason I want to find out is that I can't see the 5800 competing with other touch-based smartphones running at double the processing speed of the 5800. It's kind of laggy at the moment...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: 5800 Processor - How much overclocking can it take?

The 434Mhz clock is not over clocked. The processor on the 5800 to begin with can be clocked to 550Mhz maximum according to the manufacturer page.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chanchan05
    The 434Mhz clock is not over clocked. The processor on the 5800 to begin with can be clocked to 550Mhz maximum according to the manufacturer page.
    Holy crap! Why is it locked then? Battery life?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Its not locked. I think its more of an ideal speed. Some benchmark checkers have fluctuating reads, sometimes it goes up to 530mhz. I think the phone OS allows the chip to be overclocked to a certain extent during periods of intense usage. But of course if it does that, and the chip is set at 550mhz, then the chip could overclock itself to 600mhz, which would be damaging to the chip itself since it was only designed to a maximum run of 550mhz.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

mine is 444, I don't know why they let us decide between this and the real clockspeed

This definitely doesn't good, on this clock speed my phone was heated when I was play asphalt 4 HD. Nokia know what they do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Yep, it's not a gaming phone. Omap 3 devices are much better (even at 5800XM speeds) for Symbian games.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by honhon
    I know that phone processors behave somewhat similarly to computer processors in that if you overclock them to a level that strains them considerably, you will encounter instabilities. I'm just wondering, since the 5800 has been overclocked to 434 Mhz, can it go any more higher?

Not familiar with the ARM 11 architecture, but if anyone has insights on this processor, do you think it's possible?

I guess the reason I want to find out is that I can't see the 5800 competing with other touch-based smartphones running at double the processing speed of the 5800. It's kind of laggy at the moment...
    The maximum speed you can possibly get on any ARM11 based phone is 768Mhz because that is the master clock rate. Actually your phone has two different clocks. The first one is the master clock generated by the crystal oscillator in your phone. The frequency of the master clock is fixed and the clock rate cannot be changed. The other clock is the system clock which is fed to the processor. It is obtained by passing the master clock through a frequency divider. Since the factor by which the master clock is divided can be changed this clock frequency is variable and can be changed using software instructions. The maximum value of the system clock can be equal to the master clock which in the case of ARM11 processors is 768Mhz.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

434Mhz is the safest and most stable clock of N5800XM..
    cause the N5800 uses a processor developed by nokia based on ARM11...
    its actually not the real thing...
    If you do a detailed research you'll find that the max recommended clock of the processor used in N5800XM is 369Mhz......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinprakas
    434Mhz is the safest and most stable clock of N5800XM..
    cause the N5800 uses a processor developed by nokia based on ARM11...
    its actually not the real thing...
    If you do a detailed research you'll find that the max recommended clock of the processor used in N5800XM is 369Mhz......
    ARM11 is a family of processors. And there isn't any original ARM11 processor to copy from. There are 4 different types of ARM11 processors. All have the same architecture but differs in some features. 5800 uses the ARM1136J(F) processor variant developed by nokia since it is a licensed manufacturer of ARM processors. You should also know SE Xperia X10 mini pro also uses the same processor.

After reading your post i dont think you know much about ARM11. You should know that in mobile phones the master clock frequency is the maximum stable frequency unlike PC's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast