Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default WOW! Good News! reclaim 8Mb if u r not a gamer or anything u don want in core!

Hi all,

I'm extremely happy that i finally reclaimed 8M (yes, more than 8MB) by removing build-in game bounce and raging thunder. (also true for other files u don want inside core)

I'll be happy to share it here if, and ONLY IF, it is not an old story that everyone knows.... if it is the case, pls forgive me that I've started a rubbish topic here, co'z i'm really happy to learn how to cook myself a new firmware since 3 days ago

anyway, if in case you all have not ever seen this b4, pls reply to let me know, else, I'll consider it is not a secret

thx a lot

UPDATES 5 apr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: WOW! Good News! reclaim 8Mb if u r not a gamer or anything u don want in core!

please share your knowledge with us. i also want to delete these two games. untill no we thought it impossible because the core file can┤t be repacked

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: WOW! Good News! reclaim 8Mb if u r not a gamer or anything u don want in core!

I'd like to know mate and i'm sure plenty of others will want to know too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

yes ,please share with us on how to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

yea man share it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: WOW! Good News! reclaim 8Mb if u r not a gamer or anything u don want in cor

core you mean you can extract and repack core

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by liliantungary
    core you mean you can extract and repack core
    No I think he means something like this: http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...html#msg182027 ?

Quote Originally Posted by spamhere1983
    IF the files are in your rofs2 folder you can normally delete them.
    But IF the files are in core you can't delete them because you can not repack core.
    So there you need to rebuild the same file, which is under core, in your rofs2 folder.

So for example:

if this file: z.:.\.r.e.s.o.u.r.c.e.\.h.e.l.p.\.B.e.w.t.H.e.l.p. _.2.0.0.0.A.5.0.E...h.

is in core and not in rofs2 you need to create the same file in rofs2 and just fill "fffffff" in the file via hexeditor or similar.

The file from the core will be replaced during flashing with the file from rofs2 - thats all.

As i mentioned the app isn't fully removed (no access to core), but the OS can't handle the fffff-files so they will be ignored (no icon, no startup, etc.).

This is a working workaround till we will be able to repack the core files.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: WOW! Good News! reclaim 8Mb if u r not a gamer or anything u don want in cor

ah i see, +1 for you

sorry, i was playing with the rotating mod and found a bug....
    ok ok, at least i know someone needs it.

but b4 that, I would like write a brief history and to thanks all modders, here and anywhere, and especially appleorangefruit's 7th cfm for inspiring me to cook my own firmware. yes, up to now, although we can expand core, we r not able to pack it. I am 100% sure coz i tried to pack it b4 i found that it's not possible. i'm in HK so i need lang code 158 and 30 at least, but appleorangefruit's preparing for exam and that the chinese pack appleorangefruit made b4 is not suitable for me since s/he made the simplified chinese (i need traditional chinese!!). as a result, i tried to cook mine.

after coping with a lot of troubles, i finally started with the original firmware and apply mods to it. and when i extracted the core, i found that bounce consumes 7MB+!!! so i deleted it together with the folder in private and repacked it and flashed to my phone... (u know what happen....) i just cant stand w/ a 8MB unneeded things stored in my phone, so......

(NOW, what u guys want starts here!! sorry for the boring story.... )
    no, no, you DO NOT need to a hex editor (in reply to the above post) (my fault...)

so i think it might be possible to replace all those files that i don want in Z by... by what i've learnt from appleorangefruit's 7th cfm, to replace them by overriding!

steps (bounce, for example)

create these empty files and save them in rofs3 (where i play with)
    \sys\bin\Bounce.exe
    \resource\apps\Bounce.rsc
    \resource\apps\Bounce_aif.mif
    \private\10003a3f\import\apps\Bounce_reg.rsc

and finally, the trick is....
    create an empty file in private and named it 2000C4D4 (it's \private\2000C4D4 that occupy 8MB)
    YES!! an empty file is enough to prevent the 2000C4D4 directory inside core being copied to Z!! (due to the priority rule i found in one of the posts here)
    DONE!!

this method can be used with other stuff, like ragingthunder (about 1MB) and others
    the only cons is, u can still see 2000C4D4, bounce.exe in explorer, but they r 0 in size!!

enjoy!

EDIT: I've only tested it on my 5800, with firmware 40.0.5, not sure if it's suitable for others

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ykk_five
    no, no, you DO NOT need to a hex editor (in reply to the above post)
    Check back, there is also no need to hex edit in the quote I posted. He talks about a hexeditor or similiar. Could also use notepad if you want. :P Anyways, it's the same way (replacing files in the core by adding empties to the rofs2). Only spamhere1983 adds "ffffff" in the file and you leave it blank. Tho, still a good post for people who didn't know about this. +1

The layer is like this: files in core get replaced by rofs2 and rofs2 by rofs3.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast