Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default [5800] is possible to keep warranty while hacking?

Hi.

Now that hacking & modding the 5800 is flying high, I want to ask if it is possible to keep the Nokia warranty while hacking & modding?

I read on another forum that every action with these special programs (like Phoenix, Jaf, NSS, even NSU) gets logged in a special file in the phone. Nokia service can read that file when a phone is sent for service and detect if some unsupported action was done, even if the firmware seems ok.

Perhaps when a phone is hacked this special file can be edited and some compromising entries deleted? Does anyone know about this, or is it just a silly story that is not true?

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: [5800] is possible to keep warranty while hacking?

until we find out what file they check,

then ya warrantly as gone out of the window

mine went 2days after getting my phone it be rite

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by paulotex
    Hi.

Now that hacking & modding the 5800 is flying high, I want to ask if it is possible to keep the Nokia warranty while hacking & modding?

I read on another forum that every action with these special programs (like Phoenix, Jaf, NSS, even NSU) gets logged in a special file in the phone. Nokia service can read that file when a phone is sent for service and detect if some unsupported action was done, even if the firmware seems ok.

Perhaps when a phone is hacked this special file can be edited and some compromising entries deleted? Does anyone know about this, or is it just a silly story that is not true?

Thanks
    A log is only created for number of times the f.w. has been updated (which is resetted after hard reset) . Tool usage ( which tool is used to flash i.e. - phoneix or j.a.f) log is never mounted cuz its basically never created.

Incase you want to take precaution while visiting nokia care ( regarding flashing wid the modded f.w.) you can flash your fone wid the original f.w.

Its a urban myth that product code changing, flashing via j.a.f or phoneix at the customer end renders fones validity annulled. Ofcorse you should be knowing what are you doing with your fone. Damaging CSC and  gsm radio data while flashing (probably impossible  in symbian phones and s40 ) can lead to invalidation of warranty tho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks a lot tusharmax, that's a very helpful answer
    Quote Originally Posted by tusharmax
    A log is only created for number of times the f.w. has been updated (which is resetted after hard reset) . Tool usage ( which tool is used to flash i.e. - phoneix or j.a.f) log is never mounted cuz its basically never created.
    Its a urban myth that product code changing, flashing via j.a.f or phoneix at the customer end renders fones validity annulled.
    So they can't even tell if I changed the product code (for example, to flash with unbranded fw using NSU)? In this forum where I read this log myth, that was the main issue people were arguing about.

Can you tell which is the log file where this counter is stored?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by paulotex
    Thanks a lot tusharmax, that's a very helpful answer So they can't even tell if I changed the product code (for example, to flash with unbranded fw using NSU)? In this forum where I read this log myth, that was the main issue people were arguing about.

Can you tell which is the log file where this counter is stored?
    From what I understand,
    Nokia check the NSU logs. If your FW is higher than what is available for your product code( by your original IMEI), then they'll know. (about changing your prod. code)
    Also if you didn't change your product code back then Nokia will cross check it with the product code on the back of the phone (behind the battery) or with the IMEI on their records

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

warranty is void only if:
    changing product code
    mechanical damage

you can manual reflash, hack, delete install anything and warranry will be saved

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by a33a
    From what I understand,
    Nokia check the NSU logs. If your FW is higher than what is available for your product code( by your original IMEI), then they'll know. (about changing your prod. code)
    Also if you didn't change your product code back then Nokia will cross check it with the product code on the back of the phone (behind the battery) or with the IMEI on their records
    Quote Originally Posted by CODeRUS
    warranty is void only if:
    changing product code
    mechanical damage

you can manual reflash, hack, delete install anything and warranry will be saved

inspite of various effort to debunk this urban myth it still is floated at various forum .nywyz read this

1)Product code changing is totally legal process. A big example is my fone where the product 0575590 was changed to another indian code owing to lack of new f.w. availability for my original product code by nokia care techs. on being asked that wouldnt dis screw mah warranty they assured me this is a legal process . i can safely guarantee my stand over this atleast for indian users.

2)i have updated over nsu millions of times after changing product code myself and it never has been been obstruction in getting any service during warranty period. infact i just got an extended warranty at nokia care. For people who still are skeptical i'll advice you flash your fone with phoenix or j.a.f and thus avoid getting logged into NSU server.

3) SOME PROOFS
    http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p....html#msg81366
    http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...html#msg101999
    http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...html#msg101499
    http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...html#msg102949
    http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...html#msg102971

iam too tired to search the various discussions held at dailymobile about debunking product code myth but rest assured people if u kno what are doing and if you smart enough to confidently talk to nokia service centre people than changing product code is 100% safe. better still if u can search my various discussions at dailymobile you will definitely see the enlightenment.

NOTE : BRANDED PHONES STILL HAVE POSSIBILITY TO FACE INVALIDATION OF WARRANTY OWING TO CARRIER RESTRICTION.

oh by the way people who are still skeptical whether i possess warranty or not , you can check the attached pic below

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I know for a fact that in at least Europe Nokia logs everything done by their own tools. If you use Phoenix it's logged to an online database, same if you use NSU.

They log IMEI, the current product code, FW and other data. If you use their own tools to change the product code even that event is logged. I've seen logs for different phones (even my own). If you disconnect the phone during the flash, or it runs out of battery, it will also be in the log.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andnewman
    I know for a fact that in at least Europe Nokia logs everything done by their own tools. If you use Phoenix it's logged to an online database, same if you use NSU.

They log IMEI, the current product code, FW and other data. If you use their own tools to change the product code even that event is logged. I've seen logs for different phones (even my own). If you disconnect the phone during the flash, or it runs out of battery, it will also be in the log.

even if it was hypothetically true, you can still flash your device without being online 
    and for safety uninstall the software after you are done with flashing so that nothing "gets logged in"  :P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andnewman

Any advice on how to obtain such a log? I'd be quite interested in what information dear Nokia has about my phone and what I may or may not have done to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast