Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Nokia 5800 Tips and Tricks Thread

Disconnect from PC 5800xm safe way(thanks to mufaddal_km)
    =============================

"if your phone is in "pc suite mode" make sure u exit pc suite before disconnecting , that's bcoz there s a process " service layer.exe' which is is communication with your device ...so don't just pull out the cable

in "mass storage" mode ..make sure u stop the usb connection and then unplug your device ."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

How to take photos on the Nokia 5800 Xpress Music(taken from allaboutsymbian)
    ======================================
    Most phones have cheap cameras that use a technique called "fixed focus", which means the camera lens doesn't move. This lowers the quality of photos, because the camera cannot adjust its focus to match what you're taking a picture of.

The Nokia 5800 has a better type of camera called "autofocus", which allows the lens to move and automatically focus. Photos taken with auto focus cameras are generally much better than those from fixed focus cameras.

Photos on the 5800 are at their best if you use the various camera options to their fullest. Here's a quick guide to the main icons in the camera application:

Nokia 5800 camera application

The camera button is your friend!
    =========================
    The 5800's camera can be switched on by pressing the camera button on the right side of the phone. Once the camera application is running, pressing the button again takes the picture.

However, that's not all. Like a standalone camera, the 5800's camera button knows how far in you've pressed it, and if you only press it part-way the camera will focus without taking the picture.

When you want to take a picture on the 5800, first make sure the subject of the picture is in the middle of the square on the screen, then press the camera button in part-way until the square turns green and bleeps, which indicates the picture is in focus. When the square is green, press the button in the rest of the way to take the actual photo.

The image options box is also your friend!
    ===============================
    The 5800's camera has most of the settings options you'd find on a standalone camera, and a number of preset modes for various different situations. All of these options and modes can be found in the options box, by selecting the icon that looks like horizontal lines.

myghimh

hi guys, i have a blog for nokia 5800 at http://myghimh.blogspot.com. do visit and comment :P thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hi guys,

I don't own a 5800 (yet), so I can't test this.

BUT, if someone with a hacked phone can check their Z:/ drive for the following file:

z:\private\10202BE9\10282EDC.txt

If the file exists, the camera picture quality of 5800 can be improved significantly!

I have a suspicion only FP2+ phones have this file (N95 and FP1 or PRE FP1 don't have it).

A very nice tutorial appeared on Symbian Freak yesterday which involved making modifications to this .txt file and moving it into the appropriate directory in the C:/ drive.

EDIT: Confirmed! Infact this file does exist on the 5800 and it improves picture quality!

Proof:

(Both pictures taken by a 5800)

Here's how to achieve it:

1- Copy z:\private\10202BE9\10282EDC.txt to c:\private\10202BE9

2- Edit the file and change the following line :
    0x3001A string "QualitySetLevel=306,ImageFileMimeType=image/jpeg,ImageWidth=2592,ImageHeight=1944,ImageFileExt ension=.jpg,ImageEncoderUID=0x00000000,Compression Quality=85,EstimatedSize=650000,CameraDisplayId=2, CamcorderVisible=350" 0 cap_rd=alwayspass cap_wr=alwaysfail

to:
    0x3001A string "QualitySetLevel=306,ImageFileMimeType=image/jpeg,ImageWidth=2592,ImageHeight=1944,ImageFileExt ension=.jpg,ImageEncoderUID=0x00000000,Compression Quality=100,EstimatedSize=890000,CameraDisplayId=2 ,CamcorderVisible=350" 0 cap_rd=alwayspass cap_wr=alwaysfail

3- Save and restart.

The photos (at the 5MP settings) now are an average of 900KB instead
    of 600KB, which means less JPEG compression, which means theoretically better quality.

I tried messing with all the other params (QualitySetLevel, ImageHeight, ImageWidth, ImageEncoderUID, CamcorderVisible) but they didn't seem to make a difference in the photo file size.

Also at the top of the file where the Video recording params are defined, I tried changing the VideoBitRate=4000000 to VideoBitRate=6000000 and
    that also didn't make a difference. Maybe 4MB/S is a hardware limitation for video recording on the N85

Please test and let us know your results.
    All credit goes to user marann of Symbian Freak forums.

Have fun guys!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sbm007
    Hi guys,

I don't own a 5800 (yet), so I can't test this.

BUT, if someone with a hacked phone can check their Z:/ drive for the following file:

z:\private\10202BE9\10282EDC.txt

If the file exists, the camera picture quality of 5800 can be improved significantly!

I have a suspicion only FP2+ phones have this file (N95 and FP1 or PRE FP1 don't have it).

A very nice tutorial appeared on Symbian Freak yesterday which involved making modifications to this .txt file and moving it into the appropriate directory in the C:/ drive.

EDIT: Confirmed! Infact this file does exist on the 5800 and it improves picture quality!

Proof:

(Both pictures taken by a 5800)

Here's how to achieve it:

All credit goes to user marann of Symbian Freak forums.

Have fun guys!
    Take a look for yourself.

mufaddal_km

i have read that thread yesterday ...
    by the way the text file in z:/ drive u talking about stores ur camera settings ...
    u need to modify it ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

How u can modify the file ? U have any apllication or what? Because, when i am using f.e. y-browser so i can┤t paste the file to z/ private i can just copy the file and change it in my pc .. Can you help me... Your post it┤s great.. A want to try it and change a lot parameters in that file...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by deneby
    How u can modify the file ? U have any apllication or what? Because, when i am using f.e. y-browser so i can┤t paste the file to z/ private i can just copy the file and change it in my pc .. Can you help me... Your post it┤s great.. A want to try it and change a lot parameters in that file...
    Ok, this is what you do:

I recommend X-Plore since it features a built-in text editing tool, not sure if Y-Browser has that too. Download X-Plore from here. It's free, but just has a 3-second splash screen, that's all!

Once you found the file in Z:\ drive with X-Plore, COPY the file into the directory: C:\private\10202BE9 (note: It's C:\ not Z:\ drive!).

Once, it's in there, go to Menu > File > Edit (in X-Plore) or press the number '8' when highlighting the file.

Now make any alterations as required and then go to Menu > Save.

Now final step is to restart your device and you're all done!

Instead of editing file using X-Plore, you can also edit it on PC and then send it to your phone and place it in the C:\ drive using Y-Browser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Ok a I have done it ,, and only to C:\private\10202BE9 or C:\private\10202BE9\persists

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

my x-plore app shows me all my private folders but no files in them......?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast