Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: 5800 Clock loosing minutes

It would be incredibly stupid if the phone clock was software emulated.

Most likely it's a hardware chip that does this. And this is probably the case as how would you otherwise explain why the alarm can go off when your phone is switched off.

Even if the clock is software emulated, Symbian must've employed some kind of multi-threading technique to allow the phone clock to run separately from the main platform. So application freezes and processor hogs wouldn't really have any effect on the clock. Only a full phone failure resulting in only screen light being lit and OS being unresponsive I can see having an effect, if any.

But yeah, I still think that the phone clock is managed, arguably poorly, by a dedicated hardware chip.

Perhaps an intermediate between the main CPU and other interfaces so that clock pulses are recorded and used to calculate difference in time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sbm007
    It would be incredibly stupid if the phone clock was software emulated.

Most likely it's a hardware chip that does this. And this is probably the case as how would you otherwise explain why the alarm can go off when your phone is switched off.

Even if the clock is software emulated, Symbian must've employed some kind of multi-threading technique to allow the phone clock to run separately from the main platform. So application freezes and processor hogs wouldn't really have any effect on the clock. Only a full phone failure resulting in only screen light being lit and OS being unresponsive I can see having an effect, if any.

But yeah, I still think that the phone clock is managed, arguably poorly, by a dedicated hardware chip.

Perhaps an intermediate between the main CPU and other interfaces so that clock pulses are recorded and used to calculate difference in time.

I suspect your probably right here, time is most likely handled at a hardware level by the ARM chip itself. Which could suggest the time issue is simply the result of bad design, or could even be a bad batch of chips or a firmware issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

After few testing, it seems is garmin that slowing down my phone clock. Why don't you guys test it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123