Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nasua

Default Guide: Getting your GPS position

Positioning methods:

Phones that are capable of using GPS (Global Positioning System) will have several different methods of positioning. You can select which positioning methods you use by going to Menu> Tools> Settings> General> Positioning> Positioning Methods.

(1) Integrated GPS - This refers to a phone's built in GPS receiver. GPS satellites continuously transmit their location relative to the Earth, and your phone's GPS receiver can calculate its own position if it knows the position of at least three satellites. Today, almost all N- and E-series phones have integrated GPS, plus a selection of 6xxx phones.

(2) Bluetooth GPS - If you do not have integrated GPS or you wish to improve GPS reception, you can connect your phone to an external GPS receiver device which can replace or complement Integrated GPS.

(3) Assisted GPS - This is a network-based service used to help fix a GPS position. When using this, small amounts of data are transmitted so you need a network-based internet service from your network operator for which you may be charged by the download volume. Only small amounts of data are involved, but you should take care using this feature if you are travelling outside your own country as roaming data charges can be high.

(4) Network-based - whenever your phone is switched on and in range of your operator's network, it knows which base station (commonly known as the transmitter or mast) it is connected to, and using that information it can approximate your position using this network data. This is an additional help in obtaining a GPS fix, and it also makes a brief data connection.

Obstacles:

A number of factors can affect your phone's ability to obtain its GPS position:

(a) First time use - Fresh out the box, it may take 15-20 minutes for your phone to get its first ever GPS fix, longer in extreme cases.

(b) Built-up areas - if you are in a city with many tall buildings, they may interrupt the signals from the GPS satellites and make it harder to obtain and maintain a fix.

(c) Weather - adverse weather conditions, particularly heavy cloud, can affect the strength of the GPS signals getting through from the satellites.

(d) Receiver location - Do you own an N95 or N95 8Gb? Your GPS receiver is under the keypad, so ensure you always have the slider open when using GPS.

(e) Your Windscreen - Heat-reflective (athermic) windscreens common in CitroŰn, Peugeot and Renault cars can interfere with GPS signals, as can windscreen heating elements often found in Ford cars. If you have one of these, an external GPS receiver or signal booster can be very useful.

All credits to mccbleue

Nokia Maploader - Getting regional maps on your device.
    http://www.dailymobile.net/forum/ind...17798#msg17798

You can read more about A-GPS here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Phone

golfmade

Default Re: Guide: Getting your GPS position

My understanding is that by only using the Integrated GPS feature one will not be charged anything extra on the cell phone bill, is this correct?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by golfmade
    My understanding is that by only using the Integrated GPS feature one will not be charged anything extra on the cell phone bill, is this correct?
    Yes, the in-built GPS receiver has the ability to be used even when your phone is in offline mode. The only data charge that might occur is during the viewing of maps. But even this can be solved by downloading the desired maps from the Nokia maps loader and then load them onto your phone. Then it will be absolutly free to use your GPS. but you should remember to select the Intergrated GPS option only. You can change them by reading the first post

golfmade

Quote Originally Posted by rwishi
    Yes, the in-built GPS receiver has the ability to be used even when your phone is in offline mode. The only data charge that might occur is during the viewing of maps. But even this can be solved by downloading the desired maps from the Nokia maps loader and then load them onto your phone. Then it will be absolutly free to use your GPS. but you should remember to select the Intergrated GPS option only. You can change them by reading the first post
    Aye, I've already pre-loaded where I live using Nokia Maps loader, very handy and now have the entire island of Taiwan pre-loaded I've already switched off the other features in the settings, only have Integrated GPS option checked, it's not 100% precise, usually off a few blocks, but good enough for me and best of all it's free! Thanks!

MuzZzZ

hmm,do N93i has an integrated GPS ??

mufaddal_km

Quote Originally Posted by MuzZzZ
    hmm,do N93i has an integrated GPS ??
    no

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

how about n95?
    does it hv a built in GPS?
    so i can use it for free??

mufaddal_km

Quote Originally Posted by mkz
    how about n95?
    does it hv a built in GPS?
    so i can use it for free??
    offcourse n95 has a gps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

this my first time using gps.
    how do i find my current position in the nokia map?
    cannot see any option.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Guide: Getting your GPS position

Quote Originally Posted by tshrjain
    this my first time using gps.
    how do i find my current position in the nokia map?
    cannot see any option.
    You only have the option available after getting GPS Lock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast