Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Resetting 5800 and restoring data

I am about to reset my 5800 as its started to give weird symtoms so just wanted to know what is the correct procedure to backup, reset and restore all my data & apps.

I know I can do a backup via Nokia PC Suite, is this backup a complete backup?. So if I reset my 5800 and then do a restore from PC Suite after the reset will I get back all my data, mp3's, applications, etc?.

I noticed there is also a backup feature in the File Manager in the 5800. What does this backup?. I assume its only the systems file in the phone memory?.

Also understand there is a soft reset and a hard reset. What does the two different resets do and how to do it?

Need the 'experts' advice on this. Thanks ya.

nasua

Default Re: Resetting 5800 and restoring data

Quote Originally Posted by ehoe
    I am about to reset my 5800 as its started to give weird symtoms so just wanted to know what is the correct procedure to backup, reset and restore all my data & apps.

I know I can do a backup via Nokia PC Suite, is this backup a complete backup?. So if I reset my 5800 and then do a restore from PC Suite after the reset will I get back all my data, mp3's, applications, etc?.

I noticed there is also a backup feature in the File Manager in the 5800. What does this backup?. I assume its only the systems file in the phone memory?.

Also understand there is a soft reset and a hard reset. What does the two different resets do and how to do it?

Need the 'experts' advice on this. Thanks ya.
    It depends of what kind of reset your talking about, soft reset resets to factory settings, hard reset formats your phone memory, but keeps the files on memory card.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think you shud do a search on this forum first. Anyways. There are options for u to choose in the pc suite. what u want to backup. u can backup everything including stuff in your memory card. just tick the options that u want to backup. hard reset by typing *#7370# will erase every stored data and resets the phone to the factory settings. I did this and it solve a few bugs. but updating your firmware will be better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

look in the useful codes section its a sticky

formatting a handset wipes off everything you have on the phone. make sure you also remove the memory card if you decide to go with this option. back up everything via pc suite so you can restore data after the format.

1. update your firmware and right after you update your firmware do a format of the phone it is usually a good idea either way a back up is a must if you are dealing with phones. anything can happen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Tks to all for their input.
    What about the backup feature in the File Manager?. What does this backup and do I need to do a restore after I do the reset?

Or is the restore from the fullback done in PC Suite good enough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think using pc suite shud be enough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

ALready posted now locked

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

On top of resetting the 5800 to default, I also want to format the SD card. Can I just format the SD card and reinsert into the 5800?. Will it restore back all default directories, files, etc on its own?. Or do I need to backup any particular folders, files prior to formatting the SD card and copy them back in manually.
    Thanks in advance.

nasua

Quote Originally Posted by ehoe
    On top of resetting the 5800 to default, I also want to format the SD card. Can I just format the SD card and reinsert into the 5800?. Will it restore back all default directories, files, etc on its own?. Or do I need to backup any particular folders, files prior to formatting the SD card and copy them back in manually.
    Thanks in advance.
    Do a backup to sd card or using PC Suite, then after resetting restore your backup, then reformat your sd card.

mufaddal_km

well if u are having issues with with 5800 then dont do a full backup ...since if u do a full back up and then restore the currupted files /entries might get back on our phone and again give you trouble
    this is what u should do
    use nokia pc suite and back up only necessaty stuff
    9 like mssgs/contacts /calendar)
    back up with file manager takes full system backup
    format ur memory card
    just insert ur memory card back to phon eit will craete default directories

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast