Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mufaddal_km

Default Re: Resetting 5800 and restoring data

it will just wipe out data on your phone ...not on sims
    just copy contacts from sim to your phone and backup ur contacts thats it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

IS THERE ANY WAY TO BACKUP MAP FILES BEFORE HARD RESET, I DONT WANNA DOWNLOAD AGAIN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ajcuriel
    IS THERE ANY WAY TO BACKUP MAP FILES BEFORE HARD RESET, I DONT WANNA DOWNLOAD AGAIN
    Do not post in all caps: #15: http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.php?topic=39927.0

The map data is on your memory card, so it wont be affected by a hard reset. Depending on the version of Maps you're using you might have to upgrade it before you start maps after the hard reset, else it might clear the data because it thinks it's faulty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

OK . WHAT CAN I DO THEN TO ERASE ALL PROGRAMS OR APPLICATIONS INSTALLED IN MY NOKIA 5800. I THINK I HAVE MOBILESPY INSTALLED IN MY PHONE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

First of all you can read my post, especially the first row. You are N-O-T allowed to write in all CAPS.

Then you can hard reset it. It will erase everything in the phone's memory but leave the memory card. If you think that it's installed to the memory card, and don't want to download the map data again even via a computer, you should connect it to a computer. If you connect it via your phone just chose Mass storage. Then when exploring the phone copy the folder named "cities" to a safe place on your computer.
    If you can't see it you'll have to go to the Control Panel on your computer, Appearance and Personalization (in category veiw) and then Folder Options. Now click View and then under Hidden files and folders you should click Show hidden files, folders and drives.
    Note that this is on a Win7 computer, if you're using XP or Vista then the names of the options might differ, but be somewhat similar. If you're running any other OS you know how to find it (I hope).

Now format the card by right-clicking it in "Computer" or "My computer" and select Format. Chose FAT32 if the card is bigger than 2GB, if it's 2GB or smaller then select FAT. Now format it.
    When done copy the cities-folder back to the card. Remember to use safe removal after this operation to make sure not to damage any data.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I did the hard reset *#7370#, but i still have many applications installed by me and they work. Is that ok. thanks in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

If they're installed to the memory card you'll have to either uninstall them via App manager or format the memory card.

You can format it in your phone, but because you're backing up cities you can do it on your computer as well.

Oh right, if you format you card, make sure to back up images, videos and music you want to keep, anything you want to keep. But do not back up system, nokia or any folder that's not containing your own files, they're not needed and restoring some of them but not the others might give you problems with the cards later on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks andnewman, i did what you told me, but i believe it didnt erase all programs completely because when i installed again these programs , the installer in my phone asked if i want to reinstall the program. even though no icons showed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

You did both format and hard reset?
    What folders did you back-up and restore?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i did both format and hard reset. and restore cities and music [mp3} folders only

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast