Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default 5800 - Problem installing apps with memory card

This is possibly unusual behaviour so I want to see if anyone else has it too.

I got a UK 5800 last Friday and installed a few things on it - Opera Mini, Google Maps, Smart Movie - no problems. Everything I installed went on the phone memory, not the memory card.

I then uploaded a load of my music and video to the memory card - but the 8GB card still has about 900MB free, so loads of space.

Now I am unable to install anything without first removing the memory card - whenever I try I get the "Preparing Installation" message, followed by the "Confirmation" message, but then the installation stops dead (no error) before getting to the part about where to install.

Removing the memory card and trying the install again works fine.

The same occurs for all installation methods - direct download, Nokia PC Suite Application Installer, transferring the install files to a folder on the phone or memory and installing from the menus.

This has only been happening since I filled up the memory card (but remember there is still 900MB free).

Also odd is that when using the built in File Manager, when I select Find with the memory card in, it dumps me straight back the menu. Without the memory card it's fine. The Find feature worked fine a couple of days ago - I used it to find all the ".jpg" folder art files that had been transferred over with my music and mark-all and delete them.

I have tried a phone reboot, a restore factory settings and a complete restore - nothing fixes this.

I'm not sure the memory card is corrupt as I am perfectly able to browse it, move files from it and to it and play the movies and music files on it.

Firmware is the latest.

Later on I may try removing a load of stuff from the memory card and seeing if that helps, but thought I'd post here first to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

nasua

Default Re: 5800 - Problem installing apps with memory card

Maybe you got a faulty memory card, try changing to another.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

tried to re format the memory card?
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Maybe you got a virus in your memory card. Try emptying it (backup on your PC) and check

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hi there,

thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am considering that it's a duff card. However, like I say I am able to view, transfer and play files on the card without problem, which seems odd if the card is corrupt.

I doubt it's a virus as the only PCs the phone has been connected to have full AV software and the only files transferred to the phone are known.

I was thinking of buying a 16GB card in a week or two though so hopefully that will solve it.

nasua

Quote Originally Posted by licenced
    Hi there,

thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am considering that it's a duff card. However, like I say I am able to view, transfer and play files on the card without problem, which seems odd if the card is corrupt.

I doubt it's a virus as the only PCs the phone has been connected to have full AV software and the only files transferred to the phone are known.

I was thinking of buying a 16GB card in a week or two though so hopefully that will solve it.
    Buy a sandisk card if possible, they are the best for phones.

mufaddal_km

well before you format your memory card try removing the stuck installer files in your memory card since you had installed a lot of apps
    coonect your phone to pc in data transfer mode and navigate to private folder ( set ur pc to show hidden files and folders )Navigate to \private\10202dce ,if this doesnt work then proceed with formatting your card

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mufaddal_km
    well before you format your memory card try removing the stuck installer files in your memory card since you had installed a lot of apps
    coonect your phone to pc in data transfer mode and navigate to private folder ( set ur pc to show hidden files and folders )Navigate to \private\10202dce ,if this doesnt work then proceed with formatting your card
    Thanks for the reply - I tried this and it did not work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

OK, I now that I had to use the USB cable for the last post I did some more investigation.

As I mentioned, the memory card had about 900MB free (reported as 1005MB by the built in File Manager). I have seven video files on the memory card, ranging from 166MB to 560MB in size. Three of these files are around 170MB. Let's call them file1, file2 and file3.

1. I transferred file1, file2 and file3 off the memory card. File Manager now states 1.5MB free on card. All problems are now resolved (apps install and File Manager Find asks me whether I would like to search the phone or the memory card instead of dumping me back to the menus) - maybe the problem is with one of these files?

2. I transferred file1 back to the memory card. File Manager now states 1.3GB free on card. All problems still resolved. It's not a problem with file1.

3. I transferred file2 back to the memory card. File Manager now states 1.2GB free on card. All problems still resolved. It's not a problem with file2.

4. I transferred file3 back to the memory card. File Manager now states 1005MB free on card. Problems are back! Maybe file3 is the problem?

5. I transferred file2 off the memory card. File Manager now states 1.1GB free on card. All problems are resolved - it's not a problem with file3.

6. I transferred file2 back to the memory card. File Manager now states 1005MB free on card. Problems are back!

So ... I am back to my first query - is this a problem that other people have when a memory card has less then 1GB free?

I think it might be - in both cases where something crashes (the phone asking me where to install an app or File Manager asking me where I would like to search for the Find function) the memory card is reporting xxxxMB free rather than x.xGB free and the crash always occurs at the point where the little menu should pop up asking me to select between phone and memory card.

Is this a bug in the Firmware?

Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Im having the same exact problem .....
    when i try to use the find option nothing happens..it quits to menu... I have about 1GB free on my card...The find option works when browsed thru gallery.. firmware is also the latest...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast