Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    jsjnorge

Default Re: Hotmail On Nokia 5800

Quick summary of some of the options:
    • Get the hotmail directly to the phone by pop. I followed the guide previously mentioned here (http://goponygo.com/blog/en/configur...orreo-hotmail/), but it didn't work for me. When I try to connect and download mail, the phone asks for my password, tries to connect, asks again, tries to connect and goes on until it says connection denied by server, and tells me to check username and password. I know the password is correct, and I set up the phone according to the guide. Someone else who has the same problem?
    • IzyMail. It turns out this is not a free service. It is rather cheap though, $1.5/month.
    • Momail. I think it works just by forwarding mail to your new @momail-adress. And it will send you ads because it's free.
    • Gmail forwarding. Works if you want to receive the mail on your phone, but if you send mail from the phone it will be from the gmail-account, naturally.

Why can't it just work? It is rather stupid that we need 3-rd party workarounds for this simple task.. But maybe I made a mistake setting up my phone with hotmail in the first place? Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Microsoft has fallen so far behind in the curve, it's just not worth using hotmail.

Stick to gmail or even yahoo. Beter yet, if you ISP provides email, use that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I've been reading this post with interest for the last couple of days and I have as couple of comments to add.

The settings do work and you can access your emails from your hotmail inbox on your phone. Unfortunately you cannot send emails as the outgoing settings given must be wrong. As far as incoming messages goes, you can get notification of them and read them from your phone.

Maybe someone out there has found the correct outgoing settings and could let us know please

Also. ordinarily, you cannot select any mailbox to forward to from hotmail. Just another hotmail address. However I found a useful trick while researching this and there is a way by asking hotmail to notify you of emails by text and subscribing to windows live mobile. After you've set it up you set it to send no texts and THEN go to forward all mail to another address. Now it will accept the address that it wouldn't before.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lestar
    Shoot me if I am stating the obvious, I am new to all of this, but it is possible to get the built in 'Messaging' application to sync with the Hotmail servers and allow you to receive and send emails without logging into Live or Hotmail through the web browser. Something to do with POP servers. I dunno, I just followed this guys instructions to the letter and it worked flawlessly....

Hotmail on your 5800

an old thread i know, but just wanted to say that link worked a treat for me to read my mail and also someone in my work who has a 5800. not tried sending an e-mail yet though.

cheers

cohlas

Quote Originally Posted by jsjnorge
    Quick summary of some of the options:
    • Get the hotmail directly to the phone by pop. I followed the guide previously mentioned here (http://goponygo.com/blog/en/configur...orreo-hotmail/), but it didn't work for me. When I try to connect and download mail, the phone asks for my password, tries to connect, asks again, tries to connect and goes on until it says connection denied by server, and tells me to check username and password. I know the password is correct, and I set up the phone accordin
    • g to the guide. Someone else who has the same problem?
    • IzyMail. It turns out this is not a free service. It is rather cheap though, $1.5/month.
    • Momail. I think it works just by forwarding mail to your new @momail-adress. And it will send you ads because it's free.
    • Gmail forwarding. Works if you want to receive the mail on your phone, but if you send mail from the phone it will be from the gmail-account, naturally.

Why can't it just work? It is rather stupid that we need 3-rd party workarounds for this simple task.. But maybe I made a mistake setting up my phone with hotmail in the first place? Any help would be very appreciated.

Hey people, just got a 5800 recently and have a number of things i need to work. the above is the same problem i get from the guide, just asks me to connect to server then asks for email and password continuously.

Also how can i set up a UNIVERSITY email addres

cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Use your messaging centre to do it that way.

cohlas

but how? it doesnt recognise it, then i think from memory it asks for technical details, how to i obtain those?

cohlas

Quote Originally Posted by Skullet

Well played bud, had Hotmail running on my 5800 in less than 5 minutes using the instructions in the link you provided. Thanks.

For the people having problems, when I got to the end it kept asking for my email adress and password, eventually I changed my email addy from hmail back to hotmail and it worked fine.
    how did u do this? i changed it back but it just asks for connection, then name and password continuously

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

OMG this is awesome, i was able to login without any trouble at all. Hotmail being my oldest email account , I was always feeling bugged for not being able to access it by ay email client. Here are the steps I followed:
    1. As described i went into my web account and changed my region from India to UK for both work place and residence.
    2. Next in my 5800, clicked options-settings-Email-mailboxes-options-new mailbox. Just entered mu user id of hotmail and password and voila- the thing setup the account automatically. isn't my phone a genius?
    I am convinced that 5800 is an absolute genius and is a must for all mobile junkies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

BTW, I tried sending new emails/forwarding emails but as said before there seems to be some problem with smtp settings. I was able to send thru my yahoo account and company acount, but not thru hotmail. The problem seems to be with msn. let's hope they resolve it soon. As I haven't entered any settings manually other then my user id and password, it's msn who have sent wrong settings.

Quote Originally Posted by xpressfan123
    OMG this is awesome, i was able to login without any trouble at all. Hotmail being my oldest email account , I was always feeling bugged for not being able to access it by ay email client. Here are the steps I followed:
    1. As described i went into my web account and changed my region from India to UK for both work place and residence.
    2. Next in my 5800, clicked options-settings-Email-mailboxes-options-new mailbox. Just entered mu user id of hotmail and password and voila- the thing setup the account automatically. isn't my phone a genius?
    I am convinced that 5800 is an absolute genius and is a must for all mobile junkies.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast