Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    matt_k

Default Re: How To Add Facebook Status To The 5800 XpressMusic’s Contact Bar

hmmmm....good adaptation of my method...http://www.dailymobile.net/forum/index.php?topic=2288.0

Mixsynth

No way... did we both find the solution independently at exactly the same time?

Shame it's so complicated to do but I guess it's Facebook's fault for making their RSS system so inaccessible.

matt_k

Quote Originally Posted by Mixsynth
    No way... did we both find the solution independently at exactly the same time?

Shame it's so complicated to do but I guess it's Facebook's fault for making their RSS system so inaccessible.
    Looks that way then! I did a bit of research and found a way for Facebook status on Twitter using that Mini-feed. From that I fiddled (with the phone and internet) and got my process! Very strange though!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Does this work for other rss feeds? and, does it only show the last topic?

Mixsynth

Quote Originally Posted by eViL D:
    Does this work for other rss feeds? and, does it only show the last topic?
    I'm sure it'll work with virtually any RSS feed. As with Facebook, you might have to do a bit of research to find out the appropriate URL.

It does indeed show only the most recent update; if you want to see more then you can view your friend's entire feed via the 5800 browser's "web feeds" list. Or, just log in to Facebook.

Mixsynth

nasua

You can do this from your Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, but it’s much easier to do with a computer handy. First, you’ll need to login to Facebook, and go to the profile of the friend that you’re wanting updates for. In the URL of their profile, there’s a 10-digit number, towards the end (…&id=XXXXXXXXXX…).

Now, open the web browser on your Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, and go to www.Facebook.com. Note that you *must* be on the full desktop version of Facebook - the mobile version will not work. There is usually a link to click to go to the full desktop version. Once you’re logged in there, you’ll need to enter in a new URL in the S60 browser:

http : //www.facebook.com/minifeed.php?filter=11&id=XXXXXXXXXX - only you’ll type your friends’ ID number there.

When the S60 web browser finishes loading the page (it should show only your friend’s status updates), click the icon in the browser with three lines, to pull up the floating toolbar, and click the ‘Subsc. Feeds’ button. This will popup a box that allows you to subscribe to the RSS feed for this page. Feel free to change the name to your friend’s name, and then click OK.

Now, from the Contacts Bar, open your friend’s tab, and click the three lines icon to edit their information. Select the ‘Add Feed’ button, and then “Select From Feeds” to get the list, and choose the feed you’ve just added. For these feeds to automatically update themselves, you can open the S60 web browser, go to Options->Settings->Web Feeds. Here you can specify how often the phone automatically updates your feeds, as well as an access point to use.

You can also add someone’s Twitter feed by going to their Twitter profile on your phone, and then scrolling all the way to the bottom, to click on the ‘View Twitter in Standard’ button. When the full version has loaded, again, simply click the three bars icon to open the floating toolbar, and subscribe to the feed, just like you did for Facebook.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

hello,

i don't think this method works anymore - since facebook let people select names rather than id numbers maybe?

i've changed to a name but my friend still has an id number, when i go on:

http://www.facebook.com/minifeed.php...&id=XXXXXXXXXX

and replace the Xs as suggested is just loads the profile page - not the status updates only.

does anyone know what's going wrong? is there a new method to find the feed?

cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

seems like the id method does not work anymore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes, I was also trying to include these feed for about 2 hours, but without any success. So If anyone has different solution, please post it!

thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Facebook has removed these RSS feeds.
    Before anyone could see these feeds, even if you were not friends.
    So now it's done more privately.
    The only solution I see is a program who has access to your Facebook profile which will send further updates to the phone's feed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123