Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Music Review

Review by the nokia guide

Despite being a a multi-talented smartphone at heart, the 5800 with it's XpressMusic branding is a music-first device, well,at least that's what Nokia wants you to believe. Same thing can be said about the Music edition of Nseries devices like the N73 and N70. The fact is however, that all of the latest S60 Nokia smartphones are able to do a very good job when it comes to music, making the "XpressMusic" or "Music edition" branding unnecessary

XpressMusic is like a certification that guarantees that a phones has “music phone-like” features, including: music control, ability to create on-the-fly playlists, pausing the music when you receive a call and auto resume after a call, 3.5mm jack, support for USB 2.0, OMA DRM, support for a wide range of audio formats etc. But the question is: Can't all modern Nokia S60 devices do this already?

Criticism about the name aside, let's get the most important aspect out of the way first: Audio quality. When branding a device as "music oriented", it's critical to have good audio quality through the 3.5mm audio jack. This can literally make or break a device. Luckily the 5800 does a VERY impressive job. When it comes to audio quality, there hasn't been any recent device in the Nseries line that could compete with the N91 or the N81. Not the legendary N95, or the popular N85 and not even the flagship N96 with it's dedicated audio chip. While it's sad to say that a device that was introduced way back in 2004 (The N91) still holds the crown when it comes to audio quality AND volume headroom, the N81 and 5800 come very close. While it's one thing to use the in-package headphones, the real test comes when the In-ear monitors. The 5800 does amazingly well, impressive, considering that no flagship N9x, other than the N91 has been able to do this. The audio quality is not only good, but finally there's enough volume headroom for those cases when you really want to crank up the the volume. It's safe to say those with critical ears using high-end earphones or In-Ear Monitors (IEM) will be very happy with the 5800's sonic performance The built-in stereo speakers also do an admirable job, especially considering they are so well hidden and that just finding out where they are located seems like a task all on it's own. The 5800's stereo speaker easily falls in the category of one of Nokia's loudest, they probably could also be the loudest so far. Worth noting however is that they sound their best at volumes just shy of the maximum. Push them to the max and they start to show their weakness.

Continuing on the hardware front, the 5800 does lack music keys for quick media control. The fact that it's a touch-only solution without media keys, it will take some getting used to the fact that especially in multi-tasking scenarios it will take a few more clicks to get to that Pause or Stop Button. It's not as intuitive to something like the N85, where it's just a matter of using the (hardware) media controls. The 5800 does have soft A Media Key which when touched brings up a floating bar with quick access to the music player, gallery etc. While not as handy as true buttons, it's usable.

The 5800 is microSDHC compatible allowing you to use microSD cards with a capacity of up to 32GB. Nokia has also included a very generous 8GB card in the package. The 5800 works just fine with my class 2 16GB card, with no aparent slowdown, even after filling the card with 10GB of music. Thanks to the fast USB speed, you'll be filling these cards in no time. A while ago I talked about how other Nseries device had a slow 0.8MB/s transfer speed, while the N96 improved this by speeding things up, reaching transfer rateS of 4.5 to 9.6Mb/s. The 5800 also joins the club with transfer speeds well over the 4Mb/s.

How does Nokia's first touch-only device do when it comes to music? The haptics adds a lot to the experience, I would even go as far calling it "fun" to use. The S60 UI has been tweaked to the extent that it's easy and intuitive, using both fingers or the plectrum. The Stylus does seem like a mismatch for a device mostly aimed a the younger consumer. The UI is very responsive: a night and day difference when compared to the slow N96. The only areas that need improvement is the scrolling and text entry. The scrolling is difficult as the scrolling bar is way to small, thin and close to the screen edge , making comfortable usage only possible with the plectrum or stylus. Text entry by itself is fine, but when using the Alphanumeric keypad the letters are a bit slow to react to the key presses. Another downside is the Home screen as it seems to be a missed opportunity. With such a large screen, Nokia could have added large media controls on the Home screen.

The 5800 Xpressmusic can be summarized as device with truly impressive audio quality when using both headphones and the built-in speakers. The interface is speedy and fun to use, while the haptic feedback addS to the experience. Users will really appreciate the speedy transfer speed using the USB cable. The 5800 can be improved when it comes to unused space on the Home screen, small scrolling bar and slow reacting text entry with the Alphanumeric keypad. These are all things that can easily be fixed with a firmware upgrade. The only true downside to the 5800 is the lack of (hardware) media keys. In the end when all the aspects are considered, the 5800 scores big in the Music department.
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Music Review

Really as music player is very good.

The radio have a nice look, showing RDS.

And as music player mode you can make your own EQ. The speakers are very powerful, while the cellphone vibrates.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

sounds great, how about u sending me your 5800?
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Naaaaaaaah

Daniel

Default Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Mini Review

I found this mini review on the Nokia 5800 by plemnix.com:

The Nokia XpressMusic 5800, also known as the first touch screen phone from Nokia, has arrived! Featuring probably the best hardware (HSDPA, Wi-Fi and GPS) for a music phone, the Nokia 5800 is set to rival the N series in terms of functionality! The new touch-enabled S60 operating system is said to carry the hope of Nokia in advancing its share in the smartphone sector. Does it have enough muscle for a smartphone? Let’s find out now.

The package is full of stuff! Not only does it contain the phone, a battery, a charger, two styluses, a headset, a video-out cable, a connectivity cable, a carrying case, a wrist strap with “guitar pick stylus”, a user’s guide and a mini DVD…it also comes with a stand! The stand is perfect for movie-watching because it keeps the phone steadily tilted for the best viewing angle.

The Nokia 5800 remotely resembles the Apple iPhone 3G and the Samsung i900 Omnia due to its big screen. The phone is somewhat thicker at 15.5mm, however.

The home, answer/reject buttons are the only buttons on the front surface. Obviously Nokia (and Samsung) learnt from the Apple iPhone that even a touch-screen phone needs some physical buttons to quickly answer or reject calls.

The back cover is covered with rubber to add more friction to it. I like the straight cover very much.

The camera on the Nokia 5800 is nothing short of impressiveness. The 3.2MP camera has Carl Zeiss “certified” optics, dual-LED flash and auto-focus. Photo quality is superb with pretty accurate exposure and color.

The 2MP camera comes with neither a flash nor auto-focus but it has night mode and burst mode (maximum 9 shots in a row) to make up for it. The camera is on par with other budget model.

On the top of the phone there are the power button and the 3.5mm earphone jack, which is typical for the XpressMusic line of phone. The phone also comes with a stereo speaker.

The 2008 Innovation Award goes to Nokia for the most challenging SIM removal design. If you have accidentally destroyed the user manual (that happens a lot to me), there is a simple guide to climb Mount Everest on the back of the battery slot.

When you have successfully “pushed” the SIM card out, you can “pull” it from the left side of the phone. By the way, microSD card is a lot easier to remove!

No smartphone is complete without a stylus, Nokia 5800 is no exception. The exceptionally long stylus does not have any metal to reinforce its strength, so be careful with it

The built-in accelerometer can detect the orientation of the phone, simply hold it horizontally and it will switch to the landscape mode (shown here).

The virtual keyboard aims at making the best use of the 3.2” screen. The small white area in the upper middle section displays what you have typed so far. Of course, big is not always powerful (like the SPB keyboard found on WM machines) and I hope Nokia can come up with a more effective input method that doesn’t require users to switch to-and-fro between the program and keyboard.

It seems to me that the new S60 system isn’t making the best use of the screen. There are a lot of “free spaces” on the home screen. It would certainly help if Nokia can make the icon and clock larger by default.

Being one of the XpressMusic phones, the Nokia 5800 does not disappoint in music function. The very capable music player, 3.5mm phone jack and music enhancement features are all there.

The Nokia 5800 does not disappoint. It has a friendly price tag, good touch screen and well-controlled thickness. The backward support of older S60 applications is very welcomed, too. I would recommend this phone without reservation.

samrpan

Default Re: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Mini Review

Good information

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Dont you just love the big buttons? seems very easy to write longer sms / email with the 5800
    testing

kanaa

i had my nokia 5800 couple of days back. its quite good so far. although some problems with discnnecting the WLAN. I can disconnect from wlan for long time. finally i had turn restart the phone to make it stop. otherwise the device is quite good. Still the nokia should have given more options for main screen thems like iphone it would have been better i think.

the stylus i think have no use. as the phone is very easy to use it with finger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

try to deactivate the power saving mode on the 5800 wifi
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

hey really nice intro to the product, thums up !!! cheers ,rad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast