Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Default Nokia 5800 video recording: 15 or 30 FPS!?

Hi people

I'm wondering about one thing, Nokia announces on their website that Nokia 5800 is capable of recording videos at 30 frames per second (fps) in TV high quality, even the quality of videos recorded with Nokia 5800 are not bad at all, I can only record at 15 fps (just confirmed on video file properties). I tried in low light mode, and with less quality (not logic, but I wanted to be sure, before posted here).

I Googled about this issue and all websites that I found saying that 5800 record videos at 30fps, probably because no one check this issue or copied from 5800 official site.

So it's just me or is a mistake from nokia to sell more phones? :P

As I said quality at 15 fps it's not bad, but a 30 fps will be better

Greetings

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Nokia 5800 video recording: 15 or 30 FPS!?

Um ... I don't know why but my 5230 can only record on 30fps and there's no way to choose the fps I want to record at . I doubt the 5800 has any other way to record other than 30 fps :P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I tried in low light mode, and with less quality
    LOL
    try TV or Widescreen HQ and normal mode then you get 30 fps

check also taking photo in night mode: then you can say 5800 has laggy camera

btw i get:
    normal mode - @29 fps
    low light - @15 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Zerobarat1
    Um ... I don't know why but my 5230 can only record on 30fps and there's no way to choose the fps I want to record at . I doubt the 5800 has any other way to record other than 30 fps :P
    you can't choose neither fps nor resolution it's combined in quality properties, yes i know it sucks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

normal = 30 FPS
    low light = 15 FPS
    night =5 FPS

I think so ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by modysd
    normal = 30 FPS
    low light = 15 FPS
    night =5 FPS

I think so ^_^
    Perhaps I explained me bad, anyway I CAN NOT have 30 fps in either TV HIGH QUALITY or in any other recording mode!

Can anyone record a short video (you can film the floor if you want) with the Nokia 5800 with maximum quality settings and post here to prove I'm not crazy!?

try it yourself, record a video, upload it to your PC (windows vista / 7) and go to propertites and choose the tab details and check the number of FPS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'd rather not post it here, but I just dug out some videos I shot earlier this month on a vacation, and I can confirm that they are 30 fps on decoder. The fps counter seems to be jumping a bit as video is played back on my PC (not exactly 30 fps but 29-30), which prompts me to think that it encodes the video at maximum fps that processing unit allows.

Perhaps your phone is doing some background processing which causes it not to have enough power to encode video at 30 fps at the same time?

EDIT: out of sheer interest, I shot a 15-second video of my carpet while turning around in semi-dark conditions (curtains closed) with some background noise (microwave) on highest possible settings. It was 30 FPS+ on decoder on my PC. Here's a link to the video:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DUAYHEDN

It showcases the real problem with the camera too - ridiculous amounts of image noise because of semi-dark conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by rando123
    I'd rather not post it here, but I just dug out some videos I shot earlier this month on a vacation, and I can confirm that they are 30 fps on decoder. The fps counter seems to be jumping a bit as video is played back on my PC (not exactly 30 fps but 29-30), which prompts me to think that it encodes the video at maximum fps that processing unit allows.

Perhaps your phone is doing some background processing which causes it not to have enough power to encode video at 30 fps at the same time?

EDIT: out of sheer interest, I shot a 15-second video of my carpet while turning around in semi-dark conditions (curtains closed) with some background noise (microwave). It was 30 FPS+ on decoder on my PC. Here's a link to the video:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DUAYHEDN
    Thanks, I have a friend on Nokia care here in town, I will ask him to check my phone, but it's kinda strange.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Before you do that, have you already tried the obvious things, like restarting the phone via removing the battery (to make sure nothing is stuck eating CPU cycles on background) and ... well messing around with quality settings?

Low light setting actually drops your video fps because phone seems to add more postprocessing to the video to get better quality and that hits the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by rando123
    Before you do that, have you already tried the obvious things, like restarting the phone via removing the battery (to make sure nothing is stuck eating CPU cycles on background) and ... well messing around with quality settings?

Low light setting actually drops your video fps because phone seems to add more postprocessing to the video to get better quality and that hits the speed.
    NO, but I will do that now! I have handy taskman installed and it's show that I have 43,2mb of ram free (don't know if anything to do with CPU cycles).

I found this issue because I'm doing some experiences with the phone, to record a stop motion movie (not the usual process of taking pictures and then build the movie, I'm recording a video first and then I extract the frames).

thanks for your help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ichthyostega
    Perhaps I explained me bad, anyway I CAN NOT have 30 fps in either TV HIGH QUALITY or in any other recording mode!

Can anyone record a short video (you can film the floor if you want) with the Nokia 5800 with maximum quality settings and post here to prove I'm not crazy!?

try it yourself, record a video, upload it to your PC (windows vista / 7) and go to propertites and choose the tab details and check the number of FPS
    windows 7 showed me 29 fps. i don't say you are crazy, there may be bug