Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default [NOOB] Updating Nokia 5800 XpressMusic NAM Version??

I have a NAM version of 5800xm here in the Philippines(I got this last 06/30/10), and the 3G is not working because of the frequency 850/1900(only dual band). The firmware version of my phone is 40.2(something like that) and that's the latest firmware I've got via FOTA. However, when I browsed the files of Nokia using the NAVIFIRM, I've got this list of variants for my NAM phone:

0581748: Israel Black
    0592207: 5800 RM-428 NAM Region US Black FREE NAVI V2
    0587624: 5800 RM-428 TIM Brasil BR Silver Black Free Navi v5_COLOR
    0581747: APAC2-AU Black
    0561619: Brazil BLACK
    0561619: Brazil BLACK
    0561618: LTA BLACK
    0561618: LTA BLACK
    0574994: NA BLACK
    0574994: NA BLACK
    0581746: Thailand Black

I don't know what variant I am going to choose because you know, I'm still NOOB about this phone. LOL.
    And one more thing, can you please give me some tools for updating my phone's firmware? I don't know what tools I'm going to use. Thanks a lot!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: [NOOB] Updating Nokia 5800 XpressMusic NAM Version??

First of all, updating via fota and nsu are the only official way to update. Other ways will void your warranty. If you want to proceed then its up to you.

Since you want to update, then better to update with a cfw to get more out of your phone. You can choose a cfw from the v5 firmware cooking release section and there is a guide on how to flash on the v5 firmware cooking discussion section

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well, thanks for that information but others says that all files on NaviFirm are legal and it is original files from Nokia. Why my warranty will be voided if I will update my firmware via Navi? Hmm.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes files from navifirm are taken from nokia servers. You dont update through navifirm, you just download files from navifirm. To update with those files, you either use jaf or phoenix, and both are not official ways to update

Since you just want to update, you can bring your phone to ncc and let them update it if no there is no update available through fota or nsu

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Navifirm is a file downloader (something like Limewire, XD)

The use of JAF or Phoenix is what voids your warranty. Furthermore, the version of the software on your phone will no longer be the one to which your hardware product code is recognized to have, so it makes the warranty void. Its like installing Windows on a Mac, but on a smaller scale...XD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcube989
    Yes files from navifirm are taken from nokia servers. You dont update through navifirm, you just download files from navifirm. To update with those files, you either use jaf or phoenix, and both are not official ways to update

Since you just want to update, you can bring your phone to ncc and let them update it if no there is no update available through fota or nsu
    Ok, now I know. I saw on the NokiaUSA Website that the latest firmware for my phone is the 40.2 version. If ever I will go to the NCC, I think they will tell me that there is no latest firmware for my phone right? I want my 40.2 firmware to have Kinetic on Menu. Is there any way to have the Kinetic Scrolling? I heard about the vMenu, what is it? Is it really working for v40.2?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

vmenu is an app that turns your menu to an iphone like menu. Menu kinetic scrolling is useless, the only good thing that youll get from v50 is the changes in the music player

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Ok. I thought vMenu is for Kinetic Scrolling. OK, I decided not to upgrade my firmware, now I am searching how to improve the sounds of my 5800.

OFF-TOPIC:
    Whenever I play any songs, it's not that very loud, we know that all XpressMusic phones are having the greatest quality sounds, but in my case, the sounds really s**ks, even though the BitRate of all my mp3's are 192kbps and 320kbps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

try updating using nsu or ovi suite if you can find newer version. if kinetic scrolling isn't supported yet in your present firmware just wait for newer fw. as for the sound quality try using cfw for some of them already have sound mods which may solve your concern a little bit.

OT:i believe you're arnold from pwap. i'm shalie nice seeing you here.