Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default S60V5: Email frequent contacts quickly? Nokia 5800.

Hi, I am a new user of Nokia phones and I am dumbfounded by how much time it is required to do a simple task: to open the Compose email screen (Not multimedia message) to a few frequently-contacted people from my long contact list. If anyone can provided any insights into solving this annoyance, it would be such a big help. I have searched through the forums for a solution, but I haven't been successful, so I started this new topic.

I have a Nokia 5800 and I use Google Sync to synchronize my emails and address book via Nokia's Mail for Exchange. Right now, in order for me to email one of my frequent-contacts, I need to do the following steps:

1. Click the "Contacts" button to open address book from the home screen
    2. Find my frequent-contact using one of these methods:
    a. Scroll to find my frequent-contact, or
    b. use the "Search bar", or
    c. open the Groups tab, then select a group, then select my contact (I currently do this to select my frequent-contacts)
    3. Click to open the contact
    4. Scroll down to find the particular email address i want to email
    5. Click on the correct email address
    6. Click "Create message"
    7. Click "Mail for Exchange"
    8. Wait about a second for the Mail for Exchange Compose screen to appear
    9. Now I can finally type my message

Doing all this takes about 15 seconds on a good day, and 30 seconds when my fingers are kind of stiff. It isn't much, but it becomes a torture when one needs to perform this mundane task several times a day. In Windows Mobile phones, steps 4-8 can be avoided, so it saves a lot of time. If you use a Blackberry, you'll know how much faster it is with that.

If there is an experienced Symbian user who can answer one of my questions, it would help me so much.
    * Is there any application, some tips, or ways to shorten the time to email someone via my MS Exchange account? (P.S. Voice commands don't work for MS Exchange email profiles)
    * A better address book applications for the S60V5?
    * A way to customize the address book shortcut so that it opens my "Favorites" group instantaneously?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: S60V5: Email frequent contacts quickly? Nokia 5800.

When you scroll through your contacts, don't open the contact, but just select it and click the envelope to send a message. It will give you the instantanious selection of the phone numbers (for sms) and e-mail addresses (for e-mail) associated with this contact. Now you can immediately select the email address. This should shorten your process a bit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

you can also set the "default' email address to be used, same as cellphone number. So if you try to email someone with multiple emails, the default one will be used disregarding the options to select the contacts other emial adds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Moved from Applications to S60v5 Forum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i think going to contacts is a longer route... try go to messaging>options>create message>email>add contact(only contacts with email address will be on the list)>write message>send

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thank you all for the responses. And thank you Kcube989 for moving my post to the correct forum.

Thanks Matsumitsu, I tried that but the "Envelope" button doesn't use my Mail for Exchange profile. It uses MMS, which I think costs money if I don't have unlimited MMS/SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsumitsu
    When you scroll through your contacts, don't open the contact, but just select it and click the envelope to send a message. It will give you the instantanious selection of the phone numbers (for sms) and e-mail addresses (for e-mail) associated with this contact. Now you can immediately select the email address. This should shorten your process a bit.
    Thank you zymesh, you're repped. Your tip saves us frequent Emailers quite a bit of time! I am going to send emails using this methods for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by zymesh
    i think going to contacts is a longer route... try go to messaging>options>create message>email>add contact(only contacts with email address will be on the list)>write message>send
    However, is there a even quicker way to do common tasks like this in Symbian OS? Like creating a Shortcut button to the window "Compose Email (Using my profile Mail for Exchange profile)" in the launcher/Menu or on the home screen?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jaywong
    Thank you all for the responses. And thank you Kcube989 for moving my post to the correct forum.

Thanks Matsumitsu, I tried that but the "Envelope" button doesn't use my Mail for Exchange profile. It uses MMS, which I think costs money if I don't have unlimited MMS/SMS.
    Thank you zymesh, you're repped. Your tip saves us frequent Emailers quite a bit of time! I am going to send emails using this methods for now.
    However, is there a even quicker way to do common tasks like this in Symbian OS? Like creating a Shortcut button to the window "Compose Email (Using my profile Mail for Exchange profile)" in the launcher/Menu or on the home screen?
    3rd party apps can do those one tap compose email shortcut.

You can put the 'messenger app' in the shortcut cutting you 1 step to trigger the menu/white button.... Or you can try the "Contacts Bar" home screen and add those people you email to the contacts bar. Once you add them tap their avatar and tick on the mail icon, you will then get the option to send message/email/mms/etc. A bit more complicated and than the mehod i suggested but it might work for your taste(you need to add,flick the bar to send messages).

If not then just stick to the one i mentioned a more simple way and less complicated way.

EDIT: forgot that "Contacts Bar" homescreen supports the 'email mailbox' shortcut, but using the contacts bar will disable the 'calendar schedule' displaying in homescreen. Settings>Theme>Home Screen> to change from "Shortcut homescreen" to "contacts bar" i dont have my phone now so the shortcut might be incorrect.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

If there is a third party app that makes it easier it would be great.
    I tried using the Contacts Bar homescreen and added the few frequent-contacts. So I tapped on my contact, and tap the Mail icon, but it only allows me to create using the following profiles: "Message", "Audio Message." Those two profiles are also SMS/MMS profiles. But there's no way to Email. Could it be that I made a mistake somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by zymesh
    3rd party apps can do those one tap compose email shortcut.

You can put the 'messenger app' in the shortcut cutting you 1 step to trigger the menu/white button.... Or you can try the "Contacts Bar" home screen and add those people you email to the contacts bar. Once you add them tap their avatar and tick on the mail icon, you will then get the option to send message/email/mms/etc. A bit more complicated and than the mehod i suggested but it might work for your taste(you need to add,flick the bar to send messages).

If not then just stick to the one i mentioned a more simple way and less complicated way.

EDIT: forgot that "Contacts Bar" homescreen supports the 'email mailbox' shortcut, but using the contacts bar will disable the 'calendar schedule' displaying in homescreen. Settings>Theme>Home Screen> to change from "Shortcut homescreen" to "contacts bar" i dont have my phone now so the shortcut might be incorrect.
    Although the "Contact Bar" doesn't allow me to Email the people whom I added to the list, the theme does add "Mail for Exchange" to the Home Screen. So if I click the "Mail for Exchange" link, it does open up my "Mail for Exchange" inbox!!! So if I need to email my contacts, I just need to click on the "Compose" button, then click the "Add contact" button and i'll be able to select the person whom I want to email!!!! Wow, this is such a time saver!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

nice to know that i helped... as for contacts bar it should enable email when clicking the icon. might be a bug though. i dont think mail for exchange is enabled in contacts bar. i see mail and nokia messaging but no MFE on my side