Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    nasua

Default Guide: How to: Set up the Home screen on the Nokia 5800

How to: Set up the Home screen on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

There are three basic options for the 5800's 'Home screen' - you'll find these listed in 'Settings - Personal - Home screen - Home screen theme':

Shortcuts bar (the equivalent of the 'old' S60 standby screen and the subject of much of this tutorial)
    Basic (a simple wallpaper, this won't be used unless someone is particularly keen on a photo of a loved one, I suspect)
    Contacts bar (the activity and RSS-driven 'modern' alternative to the classic S60 standby screen, see below for comment)
    Most users, familiar with the usual shortcuts and information-based S60 standby screen, will opt for the first option, so let's start here.
    Shortcuts bar

Although there are only four obvious application/bookmark shortcuts, rather than the 5, 6 or 7 of previous S60 phones, there are several other, fixed shortcuts available which aren't immediately obvious. Here's the full shortcut breakdown for the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic:

(Obviously) Four customisable shortcuts with nice large, finger-friendly icons - you can set these up, to either applications or web bookmarks, in 'Settings - Personal - Home screen - Shortcuts'. Don't select your four, though, until you've seen the list below - there's no point in adding a shortcut to something you've already got access to!
    Clock* - tapping this launches the Clock application, from which you can also fiddle with alarms, look at world city times and also set date and time for the phone.
    Calendar/Profiles* - tapping the displayed network name/date brings up a pop-up menu giving access to Calendar or to any phone profile (e.g. 'Offline').

Bluetooth/Notifications/Upcoming alarms/Connectivity* - tapping in the top right panel gives a different pop-up menu. Most useful here is the shortcut to Bluetooth, giving you a quick way of turning this off or getting to the Bluetooth 'Paired devices' tab. The Connectivity options let you go straight to your Wi-Fi connections or to simply see the connectivity overview.

Search - a full Internet and local search utility. This can be used as a quick way to get into Google or as a faster way of finding contacts, Calendar items, music tracks, applications, and more. Very useful, even if this utility could do with a little more optimisation from Nokia.
    Calendar (again) - tapping any of your upcoming appointments or tasks will bring up Calendar.
    Music player - if this application is already running, then the current track will show up in the home screen and can be tapped on to switch immediately to Music player.
    (Email, Ovi Contacts, Share Online - these home screen status panels and shortcuts aren't yet possible in v20 firmware on the 5800 XpressMusic, but they will appear in future software versions - watch this space!)
    Music player*, Gallery*, Share Online*, Video centre*, Web* - these five shortcuts are hard coded, assigned to the touch 'media' key above the main screen.

Phone dialler* and Contacts* - obvious icons at the bottom of the screen - the two most frequently used 'Phone' applications?
    Adding up just the applications and functions that are already available from the home screen, we get at least fourteen, and that's before we've added the four custom shortcuts, getting us to to eighteen, possibly enough that many people may not need to dive into the main S60 application menu very often. For the record, on my 5800 XpressMusic, I have the four custom shortcuts set to Messaging, Handy Safe Pro, Podcasting and Maps.
    Contacts-based

The main alternative to the above 'classic' S60 home screen is the 'Contacts bar'. Many of the shortcuts mentioned above still apply, of course (see those marked with an asterisk), though the 'custom four' and loss of Search functions are the biggest downsides.
    The idea of the contacts bar is to show, for each of the four contacts:

any recent calls to or from them
    text messages to or from them
    new items from a number of RSS feeds associated with them (e.g. Twitter)

along with their status and shortcuts to calling or messaging them.

To get the most from each contact pane, get prepared by:

digging out a photo of said contact and having it available in the 5800's Gallery.
    going to the contact's Twitter or Facebook or blog page in Web and using 'Options - Subscribe to web feeds'. Once 'in the system', you'll be able to pick this feed later on without having to type in any long URLs.
    For each contact slot, tap on it to launch the setup wizard. Pick the aforementioned image and any subscribed web feeds ('from a list') when prompted. Each panel will start off empty and you'll wonder what on earth the point of this new view is, but stick with it and, provided you do have contact with each contact and provided you used the right feed addresses, each panel will build up quickly to provide a good (if slightly immature) overview.

echoess

Default Re: Guide: How to: Set up the Home screen on the Nokia 5800

"Search - a full Internet and local search utility. This can be used as a quick way to get into Google or as a faster way of finding contacts, Calendar items, music tracks, applications, and more. Very useful, even if this utility could do with a little more optimisation from Nokia."

I chose the shortcuts bar and customised it easily, the only issue is how to switch off the SEARCH, I really do not like it.

In symbian v3 (e.g. nokia e65) there was a possibility to define the information under shortcuts.

PS your tutorial is available here with pics
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...pressMusic.php

PPS I am new, and would like to send warm HELLO to all users ;P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hello Everyone,

I set up the home screen with my 4 favorite contacts at the very beginning when I first got my phone.

Couple days later, (very possibly) I sync my phone with my outlook (inclusive of the 4 on the home screen) and to my horror, the contact bar stopped working altogether!

Now I am in a situation with 4 empty contact bars that hangs the phone whenever i try to access them.

oh bother.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hi, I used to have calendar items on the homescreen, but some day they just disappeared and I can't seem to get them back ! Where should I do this ?

Jan Karel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Buggeroff
    Hi, I used to have calendar items on the homescreen, but some day they just disappeared and I can't seem to get them back ! Where should I do this ?
    Menu>Settings>Personal>Home Screen>Home Screen. Tic box the "Calendar" item.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks for the tip, but sorry, there is no such tic box, only for shortcuts, search, music player * radio

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Please somebody if you could help me with this---
    I have the sound wave theme right now.
    I have the following settings > personal > homescreen > homescreen theme -- shortcuts bar.
    If I go to settings > Personal> homescreen > homescreen --i just have four boxes to tick ---search, music player,radio,calendar. I have all those ticked.
    If I go to settings>personal> homescreen> shortcuts --- i get "No editable shortcuts in selected theme" in the middle of the black screen. I have an option button which only gives --Help and exit.If I cancel this and come out to the main front page of the mobile I see only two shortcuts-- search and set up e mail notification.The two icons at the bottom --dialler and contacts are useless (not working now).
    The other homescreen options(contacts bar,orange and vodafone) work well for me otherwise. But I wanted a better shortcuts bar homescreen.Please tell me if its normal to have the results that I did. Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

@echoess - go to Menu>Settings>personal>homescreen>homescreen>untic k search

@spandaa - Yours is odd. Is your phone vodaphone branded? Is it new? have you ever tried a hard reset?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks for your reply chanchan. This forum is soooooo vast its difficult to read all the posts. But I stumbled upon a fix by Artz and it has greatly helped me. Im using Airtel now. I can use other local networks. I dont know how to find out if it is vodaphone branded.