Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default spb mobile shell news 24. may 2010

SPB Mobile Shell for Symbian
    By Joseph Hanlon on 24 May 2010
    If you've followed our reviews of the latest Nokia releases you've probably seen a pattern emerging. While we still think the company designs excellent handsets, its approach to the user interface has been slipping further and further behind the competition. While Nokia has been slugging away at a complete Symbian overhaul, a much smaller software company has taken it upon itself to give the current version of Symbian the makeover it so desperately needs.

SPB is a developer with a fantastic range of software designed for smartphones. A while ago we reviewed the SPB Mobile Shell for Windows Mobile and loved it, so when we saw the latest version of this software had been released for Symbian v5 we jumped at the chance to download it. It is designed with Nokia touchscreens in mind, like the N97, 5800 XpressMusic and X6, which we've had a chance to trial it on, but it should also work with Symbian phones from Samsung (HD Icon) and Sony Ericsson (Satio and Vivaz).

The SPB Mobile Shell is a complete home screen user interface take over. Once installed, your home screen looks different immediately, as it replaces Nokia's single home screen with three customisable workspaces. By default you'll start with clocks, weather and a variety of shortcuts in place, but these can be replaced or removed as you see fit. The next most obvious change is the Shell's visual approach to your address book, allowing you to create a rotating Contacts Carousel of your most frequently dialled friends.

The best part is the software's fluid performance. While we found the standard X6 UI lagged a tiny little bit, there were no perceptible breaks in performance with the SPB Shell. Scrolling between the three active home screens is seamless. There is also kinetic scrolling in all lists, which we found was also fast and responsive to use.

Below is a gallery showing off different elements of the SPB Mobile Shell. If you like what you see, you can find out more over at the SPB website.

okay so i found the article, official by cnet..a respected website, and then i go to spb to see what it really is that has been released...and there is not press releases or anything there...how can cnet come with such bull?

sorry my bad..this is going to be released in a few days..might even be tomorrow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: spb mobile shell news 24. may 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mikkelmhansen
    SPB Mobile Shell for Symbian
    By Joseph Hanlon on 24 May 2010
    If you've followed our reviews of the latest Nokia releases you've probably seen a pattern emerging. While we still think the company designs excellent handsets, its approach to the user interface has been slipping further and further behind the competition. While Nokia has been slugging away at a complete Symbian overhaul, a much smaller software company has taken it upon itself to give the current version of Symbian the makeover it so desperately needs.

SPB is a developer with a fantastic range of software designed for smartphones. A while ago we reviewed the SPB Mobile Shell for Windows Mobile and loved it, so when we saw the latest version of this software had been released for Symbian v5 we jumped at the chance to download it. It is designed with Nokia touchscreens in mind, like the N97, 5800 XpressMusic and X6, which we've had a chance to trial it on, but it should also work with Symbian phones from Samsung (HD Icon) and Sony Ericsson (Satio and Vivaz).

The SPB Mobile Shell is a complete home screen user interface take over. Once installed, your home screen looks different immediately, as it replaces Nokia's single home screen with three customisable workspaces. By default you'll start with clocks, weather and a variety of shortcuts in place, but these can be replaced or removed as you see fit. The next most obvious change is the Shell's visual approach to your address book, allowing you to create a rotating Contacts Carousel of your most frequently dialled friends.

The best part is the software's fluid performance. While we found the standard X6 UI lagged a tiny little bit, there were no perceptible breaks in performance with the SPB Shell. Scrolling between the three active home screens is seamless. There is also kinetic scrolling in all lists, which we found was also fast and responsive to use.

Below is a gallery showing off different elements of the SPB Mobile Shell. If you like what you see, you can find out more over at the SPB website.

okay so i found the article, official by cnet..a respected website, and then i go to spb to see what it really is that has been released...and there is not press releases or anything there...how can cnet come with such bull?

sorry my bad..this is going to be released in a few days..might even be tomorrow
    yea!!so it will be released for symbian!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

it seems so...i really dont feel like waiting anymore..
    but maybe tomorrow is the day.
    so lets just wait untill 25. may.
    this will in my case then be my first app that i buy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

just wrote them a mail. lets see tomorrow what they write

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mikkelmhansen
    it seems so...i really dont feel like waiting anymore..
    but maybe tomorrow is the day.
    so lets just wait untill 25. may.
    this will in my case then be my first app that i buy
    i think when the s3 hs comes nobody would by this
    and the s3 hs comes quickly they testing it actualy on the emulator

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vaterix
    damn expensive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by marvinloess
    damn expensive
    Damn good though! For weather forecast and a decent homescreen, I may end up buying.