Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Nokia delays Symbian^3, shots itself in the foot

Bah, WindowsMobile7 revolutionary! Can't wait for it to be out!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i dont think a company that is that big could just delay the release date...but the most important thing is WHY?!!?!?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think the new Symbian OS has potential. I think the current UI isn't all that bad. Ok it's not as slick as WP7 or Android, but it is functional. The free navigation software with offline maps is a big pro for me.
    What I think they should do something about is the hangs and crashes in the OS. The Symbian browser is really the worst on the market.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

HA! This is why I went ahead and bought an N79 and retired my s60v5. Symbian 3 is so close yet so far, and s60v3 is so fast and stable. I've already forgotten about Symbian 3.

It is quite clear what has happened here, Nokia have taken a good look at what has happened in the mobile market over the last few weeks, they have seen WP7 and IPOS4 and have decided to take a little bit longer to perhaps flash up the new UI more.

I think so long as we start to see actual working OS's and not mock ups the public with be happy enough to wait and extra Q.

I have been very tempted by HD2/N900 and Androids over the last few months but I have decided to wait until the new Symbian^3/4 arrives, Nokia created the traditional smart phone as we know it and I think they will re-invent it again later this year.

If not I will give up on them and move.

Meego Now, thanks for listening

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Although Nokia did get the ball rolling with true multitasking, there's not much they can reinvent so late in the game.

Now, imagine if Nokia developed a phone that ran actual full scale Linux, or Windows XP. I'd love an OQO phone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by colm.smyth
    It is quite clear what has happened here, Nokia have taken a good look at what has happened in the mobile market over the last few weeks, they have seen WP7 and IPOS4 and have decided to take a little bit longer to perhaps flash up the new UI more.

I think so long as we start to see actual working OS's and not mock ups the public with be happy enough to wait and extra Q.

I have been very tempted by HD2/N900 and Androids over the last few months but I have decided to wait until the new Symbian^3/4 arrives, Nokia created the traditional smart phone as we know it and I think they will re-invent it again later this year.

If not I will give up on them and move.

Meego Now, thanks for listening
    I really hope that this is why they have delayed Symbian^3.

Everyone is so concerned about a flashy UI now that they need to get one fast, otherwise customers will leave them for other manufacturers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Investor expectations were poorly managed here because the Symbian Foundation website has clearly stated for some time that the S^3 handsets would be available in 2H2010. I was not surprised by the "revelation". If it's early 3Q10, OK...but if they miss again it will cripple them. Hope the extra 1+ month will ensure a commercial firmware that is stable, fast, smooth, and robust. Another N97 start will end the deal for many loyalists.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

As long as they get the UI fine tuned. Everyone complained constantly about UI on 5800 and N97 saying Nokia rushed it out. Now when new UI is delayed people are complaining again. If Symbian^3 ends up buggy it could be the death of Nokia. They also have to remember to improve amount of phone memory and also processor speed on hardware (now that 1Ghz snapdragon being used in quite a lot of HTC phones). No point having a very flashy UI if the phone model can not handle all transitions and multi tasking. Yes I am referring to very poor phone memory and processor for N97 (not good having to use Ramblow all the time).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Meego is practically the only option... At least it'll be like N900 I believe.. Very hackable and stuff.

Symbian^3 is ALREADY like 1-2 years behind.. taking features from other UIs. Delaying it some more... Well maybe Nokia has a trick or two like adding more cool stuff to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast