Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default [GUIDE] How To Podcast

What is Podcast you ask?

according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast)
    "A podcast is a series of digital media files (either audio or video) that are released episodically and often downloaded through web syndication."

Good thing our Nokia has this Podcast App Located at Menu>Music>Podcast

How to Use:
    1.) Open up the app, From the Main menu you can see "Podcasts", "Directories" and "Search"
    -Podcasts: a list of your subscribed podcasts, by default this should be blank since your not yet subscribed to any podcast at the moment
    -Directories: Nokias default listing of podcast directories, i think the contents are preloaded by Nokia
    -Search: you can use this to search for specific podcasts that you would like to discover or subscribe to.

2.) Before doing anything lets fix the settings first, on the main menu click on Options>Settings. You will see "Connections" and "Downloads". Lets set them up!
    -Connections: change the default connection here to your 'Home' network or any network that you always use. This will be usefull for auto downloading/updating. You dont need to modify the 'Search Service URL' but i changed mine and removed the 'noadult category' on the url. If you dont know what your doing dont touch this since it might ruin your podcast apps capability to search for podcasts.

*update: you can change 'Search Service URL' to "mobile.thepodlounge.com/nokia_sear* ch.php?q=#" to get more hits on the searches you do. I havent tried this one yet so feel free to post about this. You can also try to search google for 'Search Service URL podcast' for other possible URLs to choose from.

-Downloads: switch to save the downloaded podcasts to your E: drive of course, you can also set up when to automaticaly update the podcasts. This will download all new podcasts that are available for download that you are subscribed to. (not sure if podcast will automaticaly update/download if your not currently connected on wifi)

3.) Since we are all set-up and ready to listen or view video podcasts, you can now use the Directory or Search on the main menu. If you found something interesting you can choose to "Subscribe" to it and it will be available on the "Podcasts" menu on the main menu.

4.) Since Nokias way of searching is a bit limited you can use google to search for podcasts. If you found one over google you can add the podcasts manually to subscribe, to do this go to 'Podcasts>Options>New Podcast' and paste the URL you got over the net. Usually its in a XML form (www.website.com/podcast/show.xml)

5.) Refresh the Podcasts and check out what episode you want to download. Just click on any episode and it will start downloading. To listen to them just click them again and it should play back automatically. MP3 podcasts can also be listened via the Music Player and it will be listed on your playlist, while video podcasts will be available on Gallery and other video capable app.

*update: icons vary depending on what the podcast episode status is in. Green arrow means its not yet downloaded, black arrow means it has been downloaded but was deleted, a black check mark means it has been downloaded and ready to play.

Here are some sample 'gaming' related podcasts that you can cut and paste on your podcast app.
    mp3 - http://www.1up.com/flat/Podcasts/1up_radio.xml
    video - http://www.gamespot.com/misc/podcast/todayonthespot.xml

*depending on the filetype or size available on the video podcast, files might not play.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: [GUIDE] How To Podcast

Good post. +1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by usta
    Good post. +1
    No. It's a VERY GOOD post.
    Can you tell me a guide using Mail for Exchange and Instant Messenger?
    I'm using gmail and operator: Telkomsel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zulfan_efendi
    No. It's a VERY GOOD post.
    Can you tell me a guide using Mail for Exchange and Instant Messenger?
    I'm using gmail and operator: Telkomsel
    we dont have 'IM' app for 5530, but i see 'IM' folders on my phone... dunno why, i also dont use Mail for Exchange. so sorry cant make a guide for that.

Thanks for the pluses

*updated guide

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

webfeeds can be used in podcasts too if you dont want to open up INTERNET>WEB>Options>go to feeds