Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default I suppose Handy Shell has destroyed my phone (no reception + icons)

I have to excuse occuring language mistakes in advance.

I have downloaded Handy Shell a few days ago. After noticing that I dislike that application, I decided to remove it from my mobile phone. Although I used the phone's explorer to uninstall it, Handy Shell kept running. Hence, I have installed x-plore on my phone and removed every file obviously belonging to Handy Shell (I did not delete any files on the c-drive) .

Fortunately, the original homescreen reappeared afterwards. Unfortunately, the icons normally appearing on the homescreen happened to disappear. Moreover, I have no reception any more- my phone says it was unable to 'register the sim-card' . While surfing the internet I got to know that something like this happens usually to mobile phones with sim-cards older than two years. I have to mention that my sim-card is hardly a week old and worked perfectly before installing Handy Shell.

I already tried to remove the memory card, but this does not recover anything (at least none of the things I wish to regain) . Therefore, I would like to know if there is any possibility to fix the phone without sending it to Nokia.

By the way, I am using a Nokia 5800, if this information is of any relevance.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: I suppose Handy Shell has destroyed my phone (no reception + icons)

I'm not really up on this stuff but surely you can just reinstall the firmware via software updater.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Do you have any other phones to test your sim card?

Try doing a hard reset. Backup everything you need then open the dialer *#7370# . Default pass = 12345

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well, I tried to do a hard reset (though I could not do this by using the dialer caused by the fact that latter one does not work any more as well) but this does not have any effect on the phone's malfunction. Besides, it is now impossible to use the phone book as well as the dialer by tapping on it on the home screen. I have also tried out whether a removal of the memory card does affect anything, but the phone's condition does not improve. Moreover, an update of the firmware is impossible as the Nokia Software Updater is unable to find the device (at least, that is what it says) .

Nevertheless, I thank the two of you for the effort.

By the way, I have put my sim card into my mother's phone to get to know whether it still functions- the phone had no reception. However, I am not sure whether her phone has a simlock or not. The phone should be about three or four years old, but if I remember right, one had to request a removal of a simlock at that time (though I am not so sure about that) . Moreover, she has some kind of contract, hence I suppose her phone is bound to its own sim card.

Edit: Finally, I have managed to get the newest firmware on my phone. Unfortunately, it did not affect anything.