Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default N97 - Wierd bug and the solution

A bug that has taunted me since I bought the N97 has been solved!

If I put my N97 in my pocket with the screen facing my leg the screen will not respond for a minute or so when i pick it up and some incoming calls will cause the phone to reboot itself, really annoying.

I recently discovered that when I put it in my pocket in the opposite direction with the screen facing out from my leg there will be no problem at all when I pick up the phone from my pocket!?

How is this possible? What's the problem?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: N97 - Wierd bug and the solution

Quote Originally Posted by miloudot
    A bug that has taunted me since I bought the N97 has been solved!

If I put my N97 in my pocket with the screen facing my leg the screen will not respond for a minute or so when i pick it up and some incoming calls will cause the phone to reboot itself, really annoying.

I recently discovered that when I put it in my pocket in the opposite direction with the screen facing out from my leg there will be no problem at all when I pick up the phone from my pocket!?

How is this possible? What's the problem?
    maybe it has something to do with the kinetic sensor or inbuilt compass..hmm

Quote Originally Posted by sword
    maybe it has something to do with the kinetic sensor or inbuilt compass..hmm
    Yes, I thought so too so I turned of the sensors (wich should include the compass?) but there was no effect.

The kinetic sensor... Hm... Can it be disabled?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by miloudot
    Yes, I thought so too so I turned of the sensors (wich should include the compass?) but there was no effect.

The kinetic sensor... Hm... Can it be disabled?
    yes.. set sensors off..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

you have metal in your pocket this is way read the user guide no metal near the phone screen it is making the device go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sword
    yes.. set sensors off..
    Ok, there was no difference with the sensors set to "off".

Quote Originally Posted by emely79
    you have metal in your pocket this is way read the user guide no metal near the phone screen it is making the device go crazy.
    Ok, I understand that but there is two things that don't make any sense to that.

1. I never have any metal or anything else in the same pocket as my N97.
    2. How come that when the phone is in the pocket -screen faced out- there is no problem, It's only when the screen is facing my leg the problem accure! If it had to do with metal in my pocket it shouldn't matter in wich direction the phone is laying in the pocket, right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

man this is amazing i have this same issue these two past weeks. mine don't restart but i have to do do it my self.
    first i was thinking that my jeans are to tight or it's too cold outside but it can't be that. and the sensor thing hmm.... i don't know.
    i have used the phone everyday since i bought it on the release day here and never have i had this issue before. last night i totally reformatted the phone and every memory, all was clean. then i restored contacts only, and put back my mp3's, audio-books, turecaller lcg jukebox and freetones.so i would say it's pretty clean now.
    BUT the issue is still there a couple of times everyday.
    i have no idea on how to solve this and if it persists ill send the phone on service

Quote Originally Posted by Hampa_D
    man this is amazing i have this same issue these two past weeks.
    Hehe good to know that I'm not alone after all

mine don't restart but i have to do do it my self. first i was thinking that my jeans are to tight or it's too cold outside but it can't be that. and the sensor thing hmm.... i don't know.
    Yeah, I was on the same track there, tight jeans and cold weather but it doesn't matter how tight my jeans are or how cold it is!

i have used the phone everyday since i bought it on the release day here and never have i had this issue before. last night i totally reformatted the phone and every memory, all was clean. then i restored contacts only, and put back my mp3's, audio-books, turecaller lcg jukebox and freetones.so i would say it's pretty clean now.
    BUT the issue is still there a couple of times everyday.
    i have no idea on how to solve this and if it persists ill send the phone on service
    Well, reformating and reinstalling doesn't work. Try this: Put it in your pocket with the screen face out from your body, any difference? That works for me, but I just don't know why...!?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Had this problem myself. When the screen is facing inwards onto your thigh it gets warmed up and your leg presses the screen in and makes it stick. When you take out your phone the screen is still pressed in due to warmth and the phone recognises this as a continuous touch on the screen so no other touch will work. You have to wait about a minute for the screen to unstick. You will see as the screen unsticks that the phone will register being touched in different areas (shown as a small blue circle or highlighted application).

Unless you have a really cold thigh your goint to either keep your phone facing the other way or start putting your phone in a different pocket (which is silly if your phone is in silent mode on vibrate).

I never used to have this problem when I first got my N97 as it stayed in my trouser pocket for most of the day at work, it just stuck one day and kept getting on my nerves (It now resides in my coat pocket which is not ideal).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast