Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default N97 - Connect to internet, PC suite/OVI suite or Joikuspot -my experience

Hi,

Since 2 months Ive been out of broadband connection. Ive started to use PC suite or OVI suite - but it keeps hanging, disconnecting and I need to restart my N97.

now since 2 weeks Im using the freeware version of Joikuspot and all my problems are gone! Ontop it feels that the speed is faster also. I can easily use the mobile an evening without charging.

anyone with same OR better experience from other tools using the mobile to connect to internet?

/p

Default Re: N97 - Connect to internet, PC suite/OVI suite or Joikuspot -my experience

I've tried JoikuSpot and OVI Suite on 5800XM...

Connecting via OVI Suite through a USB connection seems to be too slow. Based on the connection status from OVI Suite (or is it windows' i forgot...), it says that the connection is around ~400kbps. Speed Tester Websites mentioned the connection is at 2.22Mbps.

However, with JoikuSpot I had the best experience of internet a human ever dreamed of through a 3G UMTS (3.6Mbps). I have to say, JoikuSpot is the best way to connect to the internet through a phone. Wireless, reliable, and yeah... i think the battery last longer too.

You just can't compare the reliability and mobility provided by JoikuSpot with connection via bluetooth because bluetooth's bandwidth is easily out by a mere Yahoo Messenger within half an hour. however, this isn't 5800 though... it's on an old samsung e250. but since it's bluetooth, i'm expecting the same performance on 5800 too. correct me if i'm wrong. what so ever, the speed is much lower than a WiFi.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: N97 - Connect to internet, PC suite/OVI suite or Joikuspot -my experience

Unfortunately I have to disagree: JoikuSpot is a nice and handy software, also a very userfriendly way to connect to internet.
    BUT the speed according to my experience is not as good as with a usb cable. Attached an example of the data flow, when streaming video from internet; on the left hand side you can see the data transfer done with JoikuSpot, then a small pause because of the disconnection, and on the right hand side data transfer using a USB cable. You can quite clearly see, that the speed is higher when using the cable. Notice also the short stops every once in a while, when using Joiku.
    So, unfortunately, Joiku is not getting the same speed... otherwise it would have been an almost too good a software...

The phone I'm using is N97 and the latest Joiku 2.60 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by ampentium2
    Based on the connection status from OVI Suite (or is it windows' i forgot...), it says that the connection is around ~400kbps.
    AFAIK you don't have to bother about this. My "Nokia N97 USB Modem" seems to be set to max 460800bps and it's doing up to 2Mbps.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

N97 is the worst phone i ever had-been back twice for the camera lens scratch issue,
    screen freeze and not repsonsive, soft unlock failure, when charger disconnected it
    still shows charging, and now been back for no gps signal for 3 repairs.
    Still they dont swap or update it. I now have problem where after pcsuite update it keeps disconnecting my phone.
    even as latest firmware too, soft and hard reset does not work also :?(