Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Very slow internet speed on my N97

As the topic says, my speed is painfully slow with the defult browser in my N97, i dont even do 60-70 kbps. And it is also this slow when i use my n97 for my computer to access the internet that way. But the strange thing is that if i test with Skyfire i come up to speeds like 3 mbps, i have also tried Hardreset, soft reset, tried formating my massmemory several times but to no avail. ANyone got the same problem or does anyone got any suggestions to this strange problem?. Thanks a million in advance!!!!!

Regards,
    Tjoohej

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Very slow internet speed on my N97

well you cant use skyfire or opera mini to run speed tests because they give you false results. but what speed test sites did you use to determine you're only getting 50-60kbps? i use www.dslreports.com/mspeed and then use the 1MB file. i also use www.freespeedtest.com, and both those sites give me much faster speeds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

hmm ok, will try those out, and btw i use a swedish site called bredbandskollen.se, works with the built in browser of the N97. will check those sitew now
    Thanks a million.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Just under 200 kbps from dslreports and about 300 kbps in freespeedtest, still painfully slow :S, used to clock 2-3 mbps through my computer and at bredbandskollen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

only thing i can think of is your network carrier is having slow down issues perhaps...how fast is it on wifi?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i like my speed test on bredbanskollen

21.37 mbit send
    11.84 mbit recive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thoohej, If you are on a prepaid or a subscription without a data plan you'll only get a maximum of about 384kbit/s. To get better speeds you need to get a data plan for the subscription. If you're on a prepaid you'll have to buy the service for a month at a time. And AFAIK 3 doesn't allow their prepaid customers to use 3.5G, so I hope you don't have them as provider.
    Also, all providers but Telenor have a cap, if you exceed it your speed will be limited down to 56kbit/s. The cap is different depending on your provider and the data plan you're using. If you don't have a data plan (you're only paying for when you use it) you don't have a cap, but are never able to get faster speeds than about 384kbit/s.

ALSO IMPORTANT:
    Far from all places with 3G coverages supports HSDPA (3.5G or "Turbo-3G" in Swedish), and when in a regular 3G area you'll get up to 384kbit/s. And the speed, no matter of where you are, also depends on the load of the cell you're connected to, heavy loads will result in a very low speed. I usually recommends ppl to test their speeds at 3-5 AM (as the load is usually lowest on the mobile network at that time when ppl are sleeping) to see if they have problems with loads or if the problem lays elsewhere.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well i have a dataplan that includes 5 gb and up to 6 mbps, but i usually clock around 2 mbps in my area, allways have since i got the n95 for over 2 years ago. Going to put my sim card on my N95 to see if there is any improvements, and if that is the case then it's probably a hardware fault on my n97. I'll get back to you after the Test.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Remembered now, look in Settings -> Connectivity -> Admin. settings -> Packet data -> High speed packet access -> should be activated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Seems all good now, the packet data was allready activated, but seems that ever since i installed Handy Taskman and terminated some processes that couldn't be found with the built in task manager the internet speed got fast and fine again :S, clocking 2.80 mbps at bredbandskollen now. Yea baby, 893 kbps at dslreports, So happy now, watching large youtube videos is Smoooooth again