Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Symbian open source

It's my understanding that Symbian going open source will have little or no effect on existing users (other than hardcore modders I suspect). Going forward though, more handset manufacturers will spec the Symbian OS as they will no longer have to license it from Nokia, which means that, hopefully, Symbian will scoop some more market share from the other OS manufacturers *cough that sounds suspiciously like Windows and Google* and for end users app development will be increased.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOdotCA
    It's my understanding that Symbian going open source will have little or no effect on existing users (other than hardcore modders I suspect). Going forward though, more handset manufacturers will spec the Symbian OS as they will no longer have to license it from Nokia, which means that, hopefully, Symbian will scoop some more market share from the other OS manufacturers *cough that sounds suspiciously like Windows and Google* and for end users app development will be increased.
    Yeah, but all it takes is one hardcore modder to optimize Symbian^1. Doubtful though, but possible.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

@mattbutsko: i want to buy a 5530, because 5800 seems to big for me, so let's hope the modders on this forum will be able to hack 5530 too. from all i know they have the same hardware (except screen size, gps and 3G ) so it shouldn't be to hard.
    anyway i hope nokia will announce something at MWC about symbian and it's phones

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mitza
    @mattbutsko: i want to buy a 5530, because 5800 seems to big for me, so let's hope the modders on this forum will be able to hack 5530 too. from all i know they have the same hardware (except screen size, gps and 3G ) so it shouldn't be to hard.
    anyway i hope nokia will announce something at MWC about symbian and it's phones
    oh there will be mods and custom firmwares for the 5530, just not as many. The hardware is almost identical in of all Nokia's touch screen devices. I think the n97 has a different chipset but I don't remember where i read that. Just a not-even-close estimate: for every 5530 owner, there's 10 5800 owners. Point being, there will be more support/firmwares for the 5800. Notice how most mods posted here are aimed at the 5800 over most other touch screen devices.

Oh, and I bought the 5530 for the same reason as you. Smaller screen (but same resolution) and more stylish. Can't go wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12