Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Successful change of language on RM-428 5800 NAM Phone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lazoid
    You were probably looking at the APAC type of firmware for RM-356, right? The one that I have is European RM-356. And I just compared it's ecom-2-0.spi file with the one from RM-428 and I found no difference in the beginning of the files: both list language(33). So it doesn't look like it's the main reason for the swap method not to work for the v40 fw.
    That's right. I used the HK (Hong Kong) version of RM-356.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lazoid
    This works, I've already done that. So yeah! There is a solution with Nokia Editor (i stumbled upon this name almost by accident :-))

It took me a couple of days to do it right though. And it still has a minor bug (see below). The link that you posted has the guide on how to remove languages, but I found a more detailed instructions by Quist on Samsung Onmia forum that works for ADDING a language both as an interface and as an INPUT (http://forums.samsungi8910omnia.com/...m-cooking.html) This is for Samsung, but since it's Symbian it also works for Nokia 5800 (with slight difference in language numbering).

The trickiest part is the HEX-editing of the ecom-2-0.spi file that you'll find in the extracted content (use Nokia Editor). The Quist's how-to describes what needs to be done pretty well, but I can add that the portion for each language in this file has to be 76 chars. Not more, not less, but 76 exactly, otherwise your phone will be flashed fine, but will not boot up. Since language names are different in length in order to make it 76 chars one has to add zero-chars at the end to compensate.

A few notes:
    1. Even though I've added russian language and it works, i found one bug: when in alpha-numeric keypad with russian as an input language it still shows the latin-character keyboard so I need to remember which key stands for a certain cyrillic char. But it still types in russian, T9 and multitap both work fine, the qwerty keyboard works fine as well.

2. I'm not sure if it's true or not, since I haven't tried, but I got the impression that modifying firmware in regards to adding one of the Asian languages is a bit different, and some people reported that this method does not work for them, but I'm pretty sure there is a way. So with god's help and some free web-surfing time and common sense one can come up with it sooner or later.

I hope this helps for you guys too :-)
    Here is my progress update with Nokia Editor to add custom language pack to NAM:

I started with the 0591814 langauge pack v17 (RM-42 file as basis and extracted traditional chinese hk from v23 file (RM-356) and added to the v17 file. All this is done with Nokia Editor 0.7 for extracting and packing.

I use RLR 0.2 to remove everything except for English in the v17.
    I use RLE 0.3 to extract the language code 30 for Traditional Chinese in the v23 file.

I merge the extracted files into the v17 rofs2 folder and repack.

It took a few tries (days) with copying some missing filles (RLE 0.3 is still missing some key files for language) to get it booted correctly with the NAM firmware. NOTE: Make you use JAF Only for flashing CFW! Phoenix doesn't work at all.

Now I can boot the phone correctly. But when going to the Setting->Phone->Language, I can select from 2 options - English and "traditional Chinese (HK)" except the chinese characters doesn't display correctly in the menu and even the selection from language.

I realize that I need to have proper fonts to display chinese. I read somewhere I need to change the font. But I am not sure if I need to pack the font in the rofs2 or externally.

Hey lazoid/achiever1688, how did you change the font and where did you grab the font from? Is it from the <v23 rofs2 folder>->resource->Fonts ? Or did you download another TTF fonts and put it under E:/Resource/Fonts?

I am making good progress here with the CFW! I will upload the rofs2 file once it is displaying correctly and hopefully with full input support. Hopefully this will help everyone needed to "customize" their 5800 with the right languages.

Update:

Started a thread on RM-428 CFW Custom Lanuage Pack here. Please post any CFW related information and tips here please. All helps are greatly appreciated. Hopefully with everyone effort we can get language pack back:

http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...c,18701.0.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

sonymd, did you copy all the font files (S60SC_C, S60TCHK_C, S60ZDIGI) from HK version and place it in your CFW? BTW, I have not yet made it work otherwise I will post my result. Keep the good work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by achiever1688
    sonymd, did you copy all the font files (S60SC_C, S60TCHK_C, S60ZDIGI) from HK version and place it in your CFW? BTW, I have not yet made it work otherwise I will post my result. Keep the good work.
    I tried just packing v23 fonts into the v17 Resource->Fonts folder but it doesn't work (Firmware booted but Chinese characters didn't display).

I will try the renaming trick tonight. Will post results ASAP.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I searched but couldn't find any information. Has anyone tried using JAF for swapping language packs on V.40, which is the same method people used for swapping languate packs for N97?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nxrick
    I searched but couldn't find any information. Has anyone tried using JAF for swapping language packs on V.40, which is the same method people used for swapping languate packs for N97?
    I tested both Phoenix and JAF for language pack swapping with v40.2.5. You get the same result with non-booting phone. Then you need to revive your dead phone back by using JAF anyway.

You can use the CFW method which is known to be working. You can read more from this thread or maybe you can contribute by making your own custom language pack other than Chinese. Remember, CFW only works with JAF.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sonymd
    I tested both Phoenix and JAF for language pack swapping with v40.2.5. You get the same result with non-booting phone. Then you need to revive your dead phone back by using JAF anyway.

You can use the CFW method which is known to be working. You can read more from this thread or maybe you can contribute by making your own custom language pack other than Chinese. Remember, CFW only works with JAF.

Thanks sonymd for the information. I have been reading about the CFW also but hoping for a easier solution. I will definitely chime in if I find something new.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

v50 maybe our new hopes in language swapping again with RM-428! Hopefully v50.2.5 will be out soon! Otherwise you can hard flash RM-356 onto Rm-428 with Phoenix/JAF to temporary fix language pack issues.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Guyz, 50.2.5 is out for some product codes of RM-428 :-)

I don't have time to hack into it to insert Russian language right now. But hopefully in a few days I will be able to do that. Has anyone tried the trick on the v50 firmware yet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Update: The firmware hack using Nokia Editor (with the swapping of lang files and editing ecom-2-0.spi file) seems to be working with a v50 firmware. So far able to see Russian as input lang, 3G works also.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast