Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Nokia 5800 Firmware V11

Still no firmware update through the phone, what is Nokia doing..
    any one know any info?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SS2006
    Still no firmware update through the phone, what is Nokia doing..
    any one know any info?
    maybe you have a wrong product code?
    testing

KenSpain

I flash updated to V11 using Phoenix (phoenixslayer version). No way to get it to work under Vista, tried everything. Luckily I have an old desktop with XP that I cranked up after more than 24 hours of unsuccessful tries (the reason why I bought a laptop) and it went perfect first time (Nokia had never been installed on it). Funny thing, while vista recognised Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, XP recognised Nokia Tube. I had to wait a long time after installing Phoenix and plugging the phone in for the first time for XP to install all of the services. I selected the Hispania Blue version given that I am in Spain and I have the blue phone, but I am sure that Euro would have done as well. For people wondering why Nokia doesn't update, it is probably because you have a custom version from your operator and Nokia cannot touch it under the agreements they have. In my case Movistar has to approve it and make their changes (blocking some things, adding others, whatever). BTW I also unlocked it first (5 minutes after buying and before I even knew about the update). I'm new at all this so I don't know if the update would have done so anyway. The only change that I noticed is that the rotation is less sensitive and the search function now has Yahoo, Windows Live and Google. At first, with factory default, it didn't black out when rotating. Loaded with apps it still does so that hasn't changed.

KenSpain

Quote Originally Posted by Phat^Trance
    thx for the tip. Also remember that if you change the product code changes , the main language changes with it!
    Just further information. The available languages depend on the product code (all have English), its pretty clear form the names. Anyway you have to select the language once it is installed. ON the Hispania version I installed I have English, German, French. Portuguese  and all of the Spanish languages (Basque, Catalonian, Galician and Spanish), which is perfect for my purposes. More precisely, When the phone first starts after updating you have to select the country, but this will NOT determine the languages available. If you get Phoenix to work there is no problem, correct me if I am wrong but I think you can just update again with a different version if you chose incorrectly (they are all RM-356). What you cannot do is go back to your custom operator version without going to a service centre unless a copy happens to exist somewhere. ADDENDUM: I flashed EURO3 on to my phone, despite choosing Spain as the country, only eastern European languages plus English were available I then reinstalled the backup I had done with no problem (I always use English). I then flashed back to Hispania Blue then reinstalled the backup again. No problem. Accordingly, the Nokia backup function does not care about product code number, just the phone itself and the language.

One other point, my original product code was 0574569, which does not coincide with any of the versions in the update.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SS2006
    As most of you know, there IS a new 5800 firmware. But not all phones can download it, I guess its to do with different phone models. So many of us are still stuck on V10. I guess one way to get around it is to change our product codes to those which will find the update. Anyways, I found this from another forum, its a .exe of the update, they used it with sucess, but you AT YOUR OWN RISK
    http://rapidshare.com/files/17609569..._v2.0_5800.exe
    Note: Need Pheonix Flashing software
    do u happend to have APAC firmware V11 ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

there must be something with his product code
    testing

KenSpain

Quote Originally Posted by Phat^Trance
    there must be something with his product code
    If the phone was bought from an operator at a discount the product code is unique to that operator and cannot be updated by Nokia without the permission of the operator. These updates require customisations and come much later than the "vanilla" software.

"When Nokia releases a handset, it has its original unbranded software on it. Sometimes this is refered to as EURO1 APAC1 or EUROA, there are many variants of this "vanilla" software for different regions, and multiple versions in the regions for different languages, such as EUROB APAC2 and EURO2 etc. Each variant gets a different product code that distinguishes the software in the handset.

When you obtain your handset SIM Free from a phone shop, you'll pay the full price for the handset and this will usually be in the hundreds of £, $, €, etc. The handset will come with a variant of the unlocked unbranded vanilla software for your local region, with your local languages, services and all its available features on it.

When you obtain your handset from your network operator it is very likely that they will have requested that Nokia install their customisations. The handset is sold to the netwok by Nokia so as to sell the handset they do as they are told, and this is simple business sense. The handset then in most cases (but not all) comes locked to that network and branded in a way to disable certain features that the network sees as a revenue loss, or enable other features via their services to make more money from you as a subscriber ...."

See:
    http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...q&thread.id=26

For full post

mizziekitty

Default Do I have to update firmware/software for my 5800?

I've been using Nokia phones since ..forever.. but I've never updated any firmware/software. Whenever I get a phone I just use it normally and I download applications/games but I never update any firmware. Is that wrong of me?
    In my opinion is seems as though the minute you update the firmware the whole phone messes up. That happened to my friend's Nokia phone and it seems like the minute he updated the firmware his phone messed up and was never the same again. I'm deathly afraid that the same thing will happen to my new precious 5800 and I can't have anything happen to it because it is not available in the country I'm living in - yet. Thus, I won't be able to get any professional help if anything does go wrong.

Please explain or give any thoughts/suggestions to a newbie like me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Do I have to update firmware/software for my 5800?

Well as long as you dont have any problems with your phone i dont think that you need to update the firmware on your phone!

a firmware update doesnt always need to be to the better
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

For the people who already installed V11,did this update correct:
    -clock doesn't appear when the phone is on standby(black screen)
    -Missed calls and SMS notifications don't appear when the phone is on standby(black screen,need to unlock keypad) nor when surfing in the menu(need to return to the homescreen to see the sms or missed call)
    -Battery last 24h only while not abusing from wifi,calls and GSM only
    -Choice of single tap or double tap for the menus

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast