Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default (Expert Discussion): Core Editor beats Firmware Upgrade?

So, if Adonix and Szakalit kindly release the Nokia's Core Editor, do we still need to upgrade the firmware? Is there still CFW available?
    What's the point upgrading firmware if you can do it by yourself? Increasing kinetic scrolling speed? A CFW already done that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Core Editor beats Firmware Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by zulfan_efendi
    So, if Adonix and Szakalit kindly release the Nokia's Core Editor, do we still need to upgrade the firmware? Is there still CFW available?
    What's the point upgrading firmware if you can do it by yourself? Increasing kinetic scrolling speed? A CFW already done that.
    Okay. Quite a broad question to be asking so I'll answer to the best of my abilities.

1. Yes, we still need firmware updates because it is easier for someone who has been in the business of doing this (nokia) for years rather than ourselves. Plus we can use the updates as a base package and make our customizations.

2. Right now, we can edit rofs2 and rofs3. That's about 30% of the firmware. We are able to customize a lot of things with 30%, so imagine 100% access. It would be theoretically possible to integrate the n97's homescreen, for example. to the 5800. We would be able to choose which apps are preinstalled. How about this? Drivers can be changed into more stable or faster ones. Basically anything your imagination and the hardware limitation of the phone can handle.

3. I'm about 99% sure many people will post their custom firmwares.

I hope this has enlightened you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes, mate thank you.
    Who can hold passionate to create?
    If there's a Core Editor, is there any fw which called cooking? I think there will be only another version of firmware. :P cause anyone is able to make their own firmware.
    ...and imagine how colorful 5800's world...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes, mate thank you.
    Who can hold passionate to create?
    If there's a Core Editor, is there any fw which called cooking? I think there will be only another version of firmware. :P cause anyone is able to make their own firmware.
    ...and imagine how colorful 5800's world...
    if you looked at custom firmwares that are released, you will find may users have this kind of passion.

cooking means is a slang used that means "custom firmware" or another version of the firmware.

I agree, all the 5800s can be personalized fully.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oreo27
    2. Right now, we can edit rofs2 and rofs3. That's about 30% of the firmware. We are able to customize a lot of things with 30%, so imagine 100% access. It would be theoretically possible to integrate the n97's homescreen, for example. to the 5800. We would be able to choose which apps are preinstalled. How about this? Drivers can be changed into more stable or faster ones. Basically anything your imagination and the hardware limitation of the phone can handle.
    Sorry to say, but this is a too much optimistic idea...
    You (and many others) made this assumption that editing the CORE is a really big (70%) step forward for the modding scene, but that's simply wrong... that's just a 20%

Currently we can already edit/change the ROM contents by using RomPatcher at runtime. You can even replace whole files if you want.
    So at the current status we can already edit/change the 80% of the firmware.

What can't be changed is the ROFS1 contained in the CORE

Imho, spending time in trying to edit the CORE is useless, because also in case that it will be successfully accomplished, it will not provide any major improvement... Always imho, the most important step to archive is to extend the compatibility of the tools to all the devices\firmwares.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Il.Socio
    Sorry to say, but this is a too much optimistic idea...
    You (and many others) made this assumption that editing the CORE is a really big (70%) step forward for the modding scene, but that's simply wrong... that's just a 5% and I'm going to explain you why...

Currently we can already edit/change the CORE contents by using RomPatcher at runtime.
    So at the current status we can already edit/change the 100% of the firmware.

You can even replace whole files if you want.

What you can't do is to add new files inside the CORE, but, do is it really needed? ---> no, because you can just add those files in the ROFS.

Imho, spending time in trying to edit the CORE is useless, because also in case that it will be successfully accomplished, it will not provide any major improvement... Always imho, the most important step to archive is to extend the compatibility of the tools to all the devices\firmwares.
    i completely agree that the number one priority is to extend support to all devices. however, we can access only part of the core (rofs1) we still can't remove some of the things in the firmware. we are still in the early stages of modding, i believe.

we can edit exe files through rom patcher, but how about other files in the rom? i'm not exactly sure how this will help, but editing everything rather than editing a part of something is always better, in my opinion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Had to make some changes because in the first instance I didn't take in consideration the ROFS1 contained in the CORE...

All the files in ROM can be changed with RomPatcher... What can't be changed with RomPatcher are the files in ROFS1.

What do you mean with:
    we can access only part of the core (rofs1)
    Is it already possibile to change the rofs1?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oreo27
    but editing everything rather than editing a part of something is always better, in my opinion.
    That's sure!
    I just wanted to say that the it seems to be an overrated goal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Had to make some changes because in the first instance I didn't take in consideration the ROFS1 contained in the CORE...

All the files in ROM can be changed with RomPatcher... What can't be changed with RomPatcher are the files in ROFS1.

What do you mean with:Is it already possibile to change the rofs1?
    rofs1 files can be replaced with blank files or other files in rofs2 (with the same name) which will replace the files in rofs1.

what we can't access is ROM and UBOOT as this is not replaced by the rofs2 or rofs3

that's my understanding mate. although i'm not sure. please explain if you know.

That's sure!
    I just wanted to say that the it seems to be an overrated goal.
    i think people are overrating it because it hasn't been done yet. everyone likes something complete rather than a part. i'm one of those people lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. Why doing all the hard work of manually upgrade all files to newer version if it could be done easily by cooking the new FW?

Plus, CORE contain too many parts, like UBOOT, ROM, ROFS1, DSP ++++ So it's nearly impossible to edit all these parts, especially that so far, the new core editor is only able to edit the ROFS1 (70% of Core) which wasn't possible before.

By editing all ROFS parts (1,2 and 3) almost 90% of the rom is customizable.

ROM part editing is another story since it's concept isn't the same as editing ROFS images. That's some tough task since rom is buit in a different way, and in order to rebuild it, we need the original building base for each phone which is currently not available.

I agree with Marco about extending support for w wider range of phones. However, this isn't an easy task for us especially that neither me nor Szakalit possess a non touch device to play with

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast