Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default [Project] Another Idea for Hacking in the CFW [No more Rom Patcher]

Hi,

I've seen people create stub sis files to upgrade stuff in our custom firmwares or maybe not. I'm really not sure. Anyway, I think it could be possible that we create stub sis files to upgrade the components of the firmware. So we can "upgrade" installserver.exe and efile.exe.

This document describes how it will be possible. My E-52 isn't rofs2 editable yet so I can't try. I'm pretty sure it's possible. If you don't understand something in the document, ask me.

http://developer.symbian.org/main/do...create.stubsis

To those who know what I'm talking about or who want to help out. You/I would need

1. cracked installserver.exe and UID ( I don't know how to crack applications, I'm pretty sure it's doable through a hex editor with the right code from the installerver and open4all patches which have already been written)
    2. Stub SIS file for both installserver and efile (signed with 20 cap certificate)
    3. 20 cap certificate and key (both files) and edited swicertstore.dat

A few resources
    1. N97 21.0.045 "IMPEPATA DI ROM V2" <== WITH FREE 20 CAPS ROOT CERT - http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...c,17748.0.html
    2. SISContents - http://symbiandev.cdtools.net/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: [Project] Another Idea for Hacking in the CFW [No more Rom Patcher]

Like your idea, but the installserver.exe is in the rom. So changing the file, even with a stub will not effect the rom signature and therefore not work. Or am I missing something?

As for the hacked installserver.exe; if you got your Installserver patch enabled and copy the installserver.exe to E: it should copy over pre-hacked. Anyone can confirm this?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DcR-Nl
    Like your idea, but the installserver.exe is in the rom. So changing the file, even with a stub will not effect the rom signature and therefore not work. Or am I missing something?

As for the hacked installserver.exe; if you got your Installserver patch enabled and copy the installserver.exe to E: it should copy over pre-hacked. Anyone can confirm this?
    If you are copying from ROM yes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

hmm.. actually it COULD work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DcR-Nl

I'm not really understanding your concern mate. Basically, Eclipsing will upgrade OS components, like exe's. the stub will be placed there in the rofs2 to allow installation of the upgrade package we will be making. It will retain the original file in the rom but the application will now be loaded somewhere in C:\ or E:\, depending on what we specify in the upgrade package.

"A device creator can replace data files and binaries in ROM by means of eclipsing. A typical example for this requirement is to fix a software issue. "

Quote Originally Posted by sword
    hmm.. actually it COULD work
    you should try it out mate, as I don't have the resources to do so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

why does the installer not allow two different files to eclipse a file at the same time?

hm ok i will give it a try

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sword
    why does the installer not allow two different files to eclipse a file at the same time?

hm ok i will give it a try
    Because the installer should have the same UID as the package it is eclipsing mate.

Edit: Oh and please post your result here mate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

hmm i think my installserver doesn't work.. any has anyone tried to get it cracked?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oreo27
    So we can "upgrade" installserver.exe and efile.exe.

<CUT>

To those who know what I'm talking about or who want to help out. You/I would need

1. cracked installserver.exe and UID ( I don't know how to crack applications, I'm pretty sure it's doable through a hex editor with the right code from the installerver and open4all patches which have already been written)
    2. Stub SIS file for both installserver and efile (signed with 20 cap certificate)
    3. 20 cap certificate and key (both files) and edited swicertstore.dat
    I've just a very basic question...
    What are the pros in doing the hack in such way?

I can see (at least) these cons:
    1) it is more complex: introduces more points of failure, so it is easier to make errors.
    2) it would take more work and time for each patch / mod.
    3) it requires further investigations and tests to be completed.

But I can't see any pros, can you see any?
    Seems to me like you're trying to replace a rounded wheel (RP) with a squared rock wheel...

Of course, if you want to do it just for fun, or just to learn more about these hacking stuff, it makes perfectly sense...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Il.Socio
    I've just a very basic question...
    What are the pros in doing the hack in such way?

I can see (at least) these cons:
    1) it is more complex: introduces more points of failure, so it is easier to make errors.
    2) it would take more work and time for each patch / mod.
    3) it requires further investigations and tests to be completed.

But I can't see any pros, can you see any?
    Seems to me like you're trying to replace a rounded wheel (RP) with a squared rock wheel...

Of course, if you want to do it just for fun, or just to learn more about these hacking stuff, it makes perfectly sense...
    It's actually just to learn mate. I'm no good (actually don't know how) at programming, so i learn other things whenever i can

Edit: Also, this would be easier in terms of wanting to have something permanently hacked. Like me, for example, i do a lot of editing within system files and i also install a lot of things. but i don't use other rom patcher patches. it would be better for me to have installed cracked exes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast