Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: [QUESTION] Overclock Nokia 5800?

e 72 has same procesor "arm11" and has 600 mhz . the 5800 has 434 :-< .is not correct ...i wanna 600 ...off : and HS n97

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

After some reading, there are also different types of ARM11 chips. ARM11 is actually a family of cpus --
    and even with the same CPU processor, there's differences based on which process it was made on (different manufacturers; ex. TSMC)
    I still think we can overclock it -- but only to a small degree~

I think that to change the CPU clock speed, we need to get into the CORE; and not the ROFS portion. The hardware bootup is not controlled by the kernel in the Nokia 5800, so I doubt that there are any files that can change the CPU clock.

The hardware is setup during a separate bootup -- so in order to change the clock speed, we need to be able to access the part of the CORE file that initializes the hardware. Incorrect editing or mistakes done to this part of the firmware and flashing it would permanently brick your phone if you don't have the proper equipment. Dead usb flash with JAF and Pheonix won't help if this happens.

And in addition, I don't think anyone knows how to edit that portion of the firmware yet (the part that gets flashed to ~0x00 of the rom; the header). :P
    [I'm not very technical -- so this is just from what I understand]

Things to look at:
    - Bootstrap

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

coffeeking i was mentioning this the other day in a cooked firmware thread and i mention the same thing about nokia changing the speed from 369mhz-434mhz. There should be someone out there who could figure this out i guess we just gotta be patient

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think it is not possible. Imo, every cpu has a max frequency -in 5800 it is 434 that was downclocked to ~390 and then nokia set it back to the top 434.
    Just to say my opinion.
    Good luck to you all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by why-not
    I think it is not possible. Imo, every cpu has a max frequency -in 5800 it is 434 that was downclocked to ~390 and then nokia set it back to the top 434.
    Just to say my opinion.
    Good luck to you all.
    Sorry but I humbly differ from your point of view, check on JbenchMarks results page, there are several who got more than 450mhz, 1 even got 460mhz, I myself got 442Mhz...

I think the max is 534Mhz...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by why-not
    Just to say my opinion.
    Good luck to you all.
    You have no proof of this. A processor's max is when it's overclocked so much that heat causes internal components to melt. There isn't just some set maximum.

As for my two cents. Nokia probably uses the same ARM 11 in all their phones because it's easier and cheaper to buy a mass of the same product and underclock them than to buy multiple processors. The 600 mhz ones might even be underclocked as well. Who knows.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

guys the ARM 11 processors are rated or rather their stock speed is 600MHz nokia underclocked them just like more other smartphone makers to increase battery life and problem keep the phone from over heating. So if we were to increase the cpu speed to anything under 600MHz that cant be considers overclocking since the stock speed is 600MHz. Just putting in my 2c worth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jounin
    guys the ARM 11 processors are rated or rather their stock speed is 600MHz nokia underclocked them just like more other smartphone makers to increase battery life and problem keep the phone from over heating. So if we were to increase the cpu speed to anything under 600MHz that cant be considers overclocking since the stock speed is 600MHz. Just putting in my 2c worth.
    This is the truth, but we should be able to choose our performance and battery life. I'd sacrifice an extra hour or two for faster page rendering in Opera Mobile and applications that actually open right after I hit the button.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i think that is better to have a 600mhz cpu than an hour battery life (sorry 4 my bad english )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

yup if only, they were some ppl posting about how to overclock the s60v3 phones with a file name 2000170.txt i tried it but it didnt work i was even looking for a file similar to it but still nothing http://www.eastmobiles.com/index.php...bile-overclock then they were some that related the same file to N-Gage so I have no idea. But we can still keep trying

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast