Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thread: Mobjab

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Mobjab

Mobjab is a new service that has been launched. It is very similar to Packetbox and by signing up via their website (it is completly free by the way!) you will be able to connect to IM gateways such as AOL IM, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, YIM and ICQ.

You can sign up to Mobjab by using the following link:
    http://www.mobjab.com/register/

Setting up the IM client is easy! If you havn’t set up a connection before, you will be prompted when you start the IM application to define a server (as shown above). If you are not shown this screen, you can enter the relevant details by choosing ‘Options, Settings, Server Settings, Servers’ and then ’Options and New Server’.

You should then be shown the above screen where you can enter the information needed so that your handset can connect to the server and your messaging service. Enter the Server name and Web address as it is above. Your access point will be different, select the one that you want to use.

You can now also use a Wi-fi connection through the IM client!!! Thanks to Paul for pointing this out:

Copy an existing packet data access point, rename it to say “IM Connection”, then go to the IM settings and select the access point setting for connecting to the IM client. Go back to your phones connection settings and change the “IM Connection” from packet data to Wi-fi. Now the IM client should connect via Wi-fi instead of packet data.

The User ID and Password MUST be the one you created when signing up to Mobjab. You entered your instant messaging details and passwords when you signed up. When you have done this, you should be good to go!

I have only tested Windows Live Messenger with the Mobjab service, so my experience will be based on this provider. You can also run multiple instant messaging services at the same time through the IM client - this should be set up through the Mobjab website.

When you have connected, your contacts should appear within the IM contacts tab. Their online/offline status is shown by a green person (signalling they are online) and a grey person when they are offline. Your online status, which can be changed within the options menu, is shown as the application logo (again by a green or grey person).

The conversation window is very simple. with a huge area to view the conversation. Incoming messages are indicated with an arrow pointing to the right, whereas messages you send (outgoing messages) are indicated with an arrow to the left. The address/contact name of the person you are talking to appears at the top of the screen. You can even add emoticons to messages on the screen, and there is a good selection to choose from.

It is also possible to have multiple conversations happening with people. Each conversation is listed within the ‘Conversation’ tab and is easy to access.

The application itself has a simple and easy to use interface. One of the things I mentioned at the start of this post is how well integrated the IM application is. As you can see, it will use whatever theme your device is using (if you like customising the look and feel of your device), and you can leave the IM application connected and running in the background. When you receive a message from somebody, you are alerted just as you would if you received a text message. You can also assign a message tone of your choice for whenever a message is received. This functionality alone makes the instant messaging experience of this application streets ahead of the rest.

Mobjab seems to be much more stable than Packetbox ever was, and messages are sent and received with no delay at all. Contacts are also loaded quickly without any issues. I am really impressed by the speed of the service and I hope that it continues to be a success!

Copied....

nasua

Default Re: Using the built-in IM client installed on You Nokia Devices

*Wrong section*
    Moved to Symbian S60v5 Applications

Topic modified by moderator

bidzer

Default Re: Mobjab

Big Thanks
    very helpful

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

How do i do this?

Copy an existing packet data access point, rename it to say “IM Connection”, then go to the IM settings and select the access point setting for connecting to the IM client. Go back to your phones connection settings and change the “IM Connection” from packet data to Wi-fi. Now the IM client should connect via Wi-fi instead of packet data.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I Mean Just Add the server, and choose whatever connection is available, either through your network packet data or through wi-fi