Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default AT&T Nokia 6790 Surge Mod (Experts Please Help!)

Hello everybody,

I recently pick up a AT&T Nokia 6790/SURGE and have some questions on debrandding.

I looked up the product codes from Navifirm and found the product code I want to change to.

0568166: RM-492 6790 AMER-N ATT Black (ATT Version I have)
    0591051: RM-599 Argentina Latin Color Black (Latin America Generic Version I want to change to)

The problem is when I change the product code with NSS (Nemisis); Nokia Software updater still sees my phone as RM-492 or the AT&T model. So changing product code cannot trick the software updater to install the Latin American firmware.

My next bet would be to force install the RM-599 firmware files from Navifirm into the phone? If this is possible what software should I use and is there a guide for it?

I know the RM-492 and RM-599 models are exactly the same in specs and GSM / 3G frequency bands; so there should be no problems.

Any reply or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Ming

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: AT&T Nokia 6790 Surge Mod (Experts Please Help!)

Quote Originally Posted by ming387
    Hello everybody,

I recently pick up a AT&T Nokia 6790/SURGE and have some questions on debrandding.

I looked up the product codes from Navifirm and found the product code I want to change to.

0568166: RM-492 6790 AMER-N ATT Black (ATT Version I have)
    0591051: RM-599 Argentina Latin Color Black (Latin America Generic Version I want to change to)

The problem is when I change the product code with NSS (Nemisis); Nokia Software updater still sees my phone as RM-492 or the AT&T model. So changing product code cannot trick the software updater to install the Latin American firmware.

My next bet would be to force install the RM-599 firmware files from Navifirm into the phone? If this is possible what software should I use and is there a guide for it?

I know the RM-492 and RM-599 models are exactly the same in specs and GSM / 3G frequency bands; so there should be no problems.

Any reply or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Ming
    different rm versions mean different hardware mate. if you do flash it, it will cause problems one way or the other. why not change to a product code of the same rm?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oreo27
    different rm versions mean different hardware mate. if you do flash it, it will cause problems one way or the other. why not change to a product code of the same rm?
    The thing is this phone is released under AT&T in the US and there are no generic product code for it in America.

I've visited the forum.nokia.com website and compare the 2 6790 RM models and confirmed they are the same. It should be very safe to flash with RM-599. And I've seen people flashing different RM for the N73 before.

Please advise and thank you!
    Ming

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i did a bit of research and found that the devices are almost identical. you can try to use the firmware but i can't guarantee that it'll work perfectly.i do believe that it will function properly. the only real way to know is to try mate. if you do decide to try, post back the results here.