Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default 2nd Try: E73 SSL issues

Trying this again...

I've been having issues with the Nokia browser in my E73 for at least a year and finally diagnosed the problem: lack of TLS 1.2 support. That's not really surprising because T-Mobile abandoned this phone less than a year after release, while unbranded FP2 phones like the E72 and E5 continued getting firmware updates for years. Would anybody tell me if one of these included a TLS 1.2 browser upgrade? (Other Symbian 3.2 phones, i.e N-series, should be good for testing as well.)

To check for TLS 1.2 support (assuming your FP2 phone received all the firmware patches), just visit https://www.howsmyssl.com/ and skim the results. Some sites that don't work at all without TLS 1.2 include

collegetimes.com
    allareacodes.com
    club.myce.com
    camelcamelcamel.com

and growing by the day.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Following-up to my own post...

I'm shocked that 1200+ logged-in users read about my problem but no one had a vaguely compatible phone for testing. Even 5th edition results would have been interesting.

In any case, with assistance from Spaghettini, I answered my own question. Without "Networking_Improvements.sis", the FP2 Nokia browser doesn't support TLS at all. Was there ever a readme for this software?? All this time I thought it only improved certificate imports. Without TLS, virtually no secure web site today allows a connection. With TLS 1.0, maybe 80% of sites still work, but this percent is steadily dropping, and for me it's already fallen too far. Per Wikipedia, TLS 1.2 was finalized in 2008 with a minor update in 2011. As "Networking Improvements" was released in 2013 or 2014, it seems weird that Nokia supported only 1.0 (and maybe 1.1?).

Sigh. I held out longer than most, but this finally closes a chapter and I'm off to pursue a SailFish phone. Perhaps this post will help somebody else, as I found absolutely no Nokia TLS information in my own web searches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Sailfish may be a jump from one sinking ship into another.
    i left Symbian for BB10, which was a fine trade - but it, too, was on its way down. Its browser is quickly becoming less and less usable and so i have ventured into dark waters with Android, which can be whatever you want it to be.
    My point is: in the mobile world, if you want to stick with niche OSs, you really have to be a developer to get what you want it of it. Sad but true.
    /lamentation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Oh, yeah - expecting help in a forum that has about a dozen "contributing" members with only two of those being active S60v3 users is likely to be unfulfilled.