Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default 2nd Try: E73 SSL issues

Trying this again...

I've been having issues with the Nokia browser in my E73 for at least a year and finally diagnosed the problem: lack of TLS 1.2 support. That's not really surprising because T-Mobile abandoned this phone less than a year after release, while unbranded FP2 phones like the E72 and E5 continued getting firmware updates for years. Would anybody tell me if one of these included a TLS 1.2 browser upgrade? (Other Symbian 3.2 phones, i.e N-series, should be good for testing as well.)

To check for TLS 1.2 support (assuming your FP2 phone received all the firmware patches), just visit https://www.howsmyssl.com/ and skim the results. Some sites that don't work at all without TLS 1.2 include

collegetimes.com
    allareacodes.com
    club.myce.com
    camelcamelcamel.com

and growing by the day.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Following-up to my own post...

I'm shocked that 1200+ logged-in users read about my problem but no one had a vaguely compatible phone for testing. Even 5th edition results would have been interesting.

In any case, with assistance from Spaghettini, I answered my own question. Without "Networking_Improvements.sis", the FP2 Nokia browser doesn't support TLS at all. Was there ever a readme for this software?? All this time I thought it only improved certificate imports. Without TLS, virtually no secure web site today allows a connection. With TLS 1.0, maybe 80% of sites still work, but this percent is steadily dropping, and for me it's already fallen too far. Per Wikipedia, TLS 1.2 was finalized in 2008 with a minor update in 2011. As "Networking Improvements" was released in 2013 or 2014, it seems weird that Nokia supported only 1.0 (and maybe 1.1?).

Sigh. I held out longer than most, but this finally closes a chapter and I'm off to pursue a SailFish phone. Perhaps this post will help somebody else, as I found absolutely no Nokia TLS information in my own web searches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Sailfish may be a jump from one sinking ship into another.
    i left Symbian for BB10, which was a fine trade - but it, too, was on its way down. Its browser is quickly becoming less and less usable and so i have ventured into dark waters with Android, which can be whatever you want it to be.
    My point is: in the mobile world, if you want to stick with niche OSs, you really have to be a developer to get what you want it of it. Sad but true.
    /lamentation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Oh, yeah - expecting help in a forum that has about a dozen "contributing" members with only two of those being active S60v3 users is likely to be unfulfilled.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'd added some thoughts to the "Exit Strategies" thread in the "General Symbian Discussion" forum, but being a new member, it appears stuck in a moderation queue. That's apparently also what happened to my first "SSL Issues" thread, but somehow the post framework became visible. Any idea how to flag down a moderator? I tried sending site feedback at one point but never heard back.

Jolla is expecting 2017 to be their first profitable year. If you weren't aware, see https://www.mobileworldlive.com/feat...ofitable-2017/ . But thanks for the warning. I've actually been programming since my teens but never commercially. I recently started working with Java and already knew Linux fairly well, so hope to be able to contribute C or other code to something.

I like the iPhone, but due to hardware limitations can't turn even a jailbroken unit into a real FM radio...so that's out. After lots of soul searching, I also finally decided that I don't like Android's intrusive nature, so that's out, too. (Opera Mini on my E73 just started showing ads last week, which is already driving me crazy.) I was curious about Blackberry, but the last news I heard (several years ago) was that the new owner planned to shut down the company and sell it piecemeal. I haven't used a BB since the Pearl (?), so don't have a grasp of their modern OS. But one of my growing annoyances is poor, bloated web design, so IMHO finding incompatible sites could be as much a knock against the site as the browser. If you're curious for insight into how bad things already are, see The Website Obesity Crisis . It's hilarious and additionally quite true.

I used to hang out on Nokia's official discussions forums, and this is the first Symbian site since then where I've made real contact with other people, so will likely stick around a while.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thetao View Post
    Any idea how to flag down a moderator? I tried sending site feedback at one point but never heard back.
    Check your PM
    iPhone 7+ 10.3.1 No J/B available
    iPhone 6s running 9.3.3 J/B Pangu
    iPhone 5s runing 9.3.1 J/B Pangu
    iPhone 5 running 8.1.1 J/B Pangu
    iPad 2017 running 10.3 No J/B available
    Recently retired:
    LG G3 Custom Rom CloudyG3 2.5
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013) LTE SlimKat Rom