Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nasua

Default Leave iPhone, nine reasons why the S60s are superior for our needs.

1) Video - It hasnít always been the case but recently Video has become important to me. I love absorbing everything related to New Media and Social Media and the emergence of some interesting video-based services have got me really interested in video again. My favourite of these has to be Qik, a service which allows you to live-stream video directly from your device to the internet something I have regularly noticed Iíd want to do in lots of situations recently. Other video services like Phreadz and Seesmic are on my radar too and video taken on your phone is the ideal way for me to dive in to their world.

2) Geo-Tagging - The easy way. The iPhone can Geo-Tag images but I just havenít found a good way to upload that data to my preferred destination (Moblog). If I email it Apple strips out the location data and 3rd Party Apps also seem to have a problem retaining the data. On S60 devices this is just easier to do and Iíve never had problems with the data being stripped out. On top of that I really want to get back to using Sports Tracker (a better name is Life Tracker). Being able to upload that data and share it with others is pretty compelling and not something you can do with the iPhone yet.

3) Background Application - This is probably what I missed most and given that I normally have at least 3 apps going in the background when on an S60 device itís hardy surprise. As I mentioned in my iPhone post this is something that I think really hinders the iPhone experience. A great example is Last.fm which i can use on an S60 device and let it run in the background while doing anything else with the device but on the iPhone Iím stuck in the App and if I go anywhere else the App is shut down. Iím sure that weíll eventually see some iPhone Apps that are allowed to run in the background but until then this is a big winner for S60 and also Windows Mobile.

4) Bluetooth - Yes, I know the iPhone has Bluetooth but what can I do with it? I canít send files to other phones or to my laptop using it. I canít connect to any headset that I like or any other Bluetooth accessories that I might want to use. Bluetooth on the iPhone is totally toothless and there really is no good excuse as to why Apple have limited it so much. I had hoped that the iPhone 3G would have improved matters but as it hasnít I have little confidence that weíll see improvements in future iPhone hardware or software.

5) Tethering - I work away from home a lot and while WiFi is usually easy to find itís good to know that I can always use my HSDPA phone as an internet connection if I ever get stuck. Unless of course Iím carrying an iPhone. Traditional tethering via cable or Bluetooth are missing from the iPhones arsenal which is surprising given that so many devices on the market support this, and not just Smartphones. Again when the iPhone 3G was announced and Apple indicated it was starting to aim at business user I hoped that tethering would be a new addition. Unfortunately it wasnít and I doubt it will be added in future either. Itís also worth mentioning that if you use an S60 device there is the fantastic Joikuspot application that allows you to turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot, another thing Iíve really missed.

6) Copy/Paste - This one of those features that you might not realise is that important to you until you find yourself without it. I repeatedly found myself wishing the iPhone had the S60 pencil key in the month I was using the Apple device. On S60 devices itís a joy to use (once you realise you can do it) especially moving text between different apps. This is by no means a vital feature but considering Apples great implementation of the screenshot feature (which could also be considered a minor addition) I hope itís something theyíll throw in to a future update.

7) Options - Wasnít sure how to title this one. Basically while I was using the iPhone I felt trapped having to do things the Apple way. Iíve already mentioned how closed the iPhone is in terms of Bluetooth, tethering and even Geo-Tagging. What I missed even more was being able to just plug in the phone and view its contents without having to use iTunes (which I loath) or iPhoto. I regularly use Linux and my daily PC right now is an Asus Eee 900 from which I can do nothing but charge my iPhone. With S60 you have far more options to interact with the device and load music, photos and other content and I miss that flexibility. I know this is to be expected because Apple have always had very closed environments and Iím sure there might be some benefits but for me as a power user nothing is more annoying.

Form Factor - With S60 you have a whole bunch of choice when it comes to form-factor. What do you prefer, Slider? Candybar? QWERTY? S60 devices cover them all, do them well and provide them at a variety of price-points. You also have your choice of different features. Love to take photos? Pick up and N82 which has a great camera and a proper flash. Want a work-horse that does everything? The N95-8GB will be your beast of choice. With the iPhone youíre stuck with the one option (I know there are 2 versions but you can only buy the 3G now) and if you donít like touch screens or a large device youíre a bit stuck. While I know there are people out there that prefer to have less choice for me and Iím sure many others choice is important which is why the Mobile Device industry will always be fragmented.

9) Battery Life - A cheeky one and something I never thought Iíd miss about S60 devices. Nokia S60 phones have aways had notorious battery life, especially the original N95. If you compare the specs the iPhone 3G should come out on top when it comes to battery. However when it came down to how long it lasted through regular use it fell short of the S60 battery performance. From what Iíve heard the latest S60 devices (bar the N96) have improved battery life so that should be an added boost when I buy a new Nokia phone. Itís also worth mentioning that, like every other mobile phone on the market, the Nokias have replaceable batteries.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Leave iPhone, nine reasons why the S60s are superior for our needs.

iphone=overrated.uh actually thats just apple products in general

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

why does a 300$ piece of hardware in 2009 not have the ability to pick up FM?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I have the 5800 and tried quickly the iphone + some users comments:
    -Video: It's true that the 5800 has a video recorder but what the hell? you can only use it in bright sunny days! it get very noisy and greenish,the iphone can record videos thanks to 3rd party apps,lower resolution yes but act better in low noise!
    -Background apps: Nice feature on S60 but it turns the phone into a battery eater!
    -Bluetooth: Thanks to ibluetooth you can enable full bluetooth on iphone.
    -Copy/paste: Thanks to many apps you can now do it on iphone.
    -Options: Just jailbreak your iphone :P
    -Form factor: The iphone is a delightfull designed phone,5800 is a piece of plastic toy
    -Batery life: hahahaha the best joke of nokia,they claim 3 days with the 5800...only last 24h in reality.With the iphone it depends from 24h to 2.5 days,depending on if the 3g is off or not...
    -Internet: The only good point of the 5800 over iphone,it can use all the possible technologies even WAP fast and easy while the iphone is a Wifi and Edge lover only.
    -Screen! The iphone screen is larger with a nice resolution giving nice pics details,the 5800 has a greater resolution but could not profit from it because of the tiny latitude,icons are too close to the right side bar...
    -Touch: The iphone is simply the best with fast and quick response sensitivity,the 5800 is hard with fingers and quick with finger-nails or stylus resulting in multiple small scratches with time!
    -Sunlight: The 5800 is just passable under sunlight,the iphone is great.
    -UI: The 5800 is slow in...everything,the iphone is far away ahead like compairing an intel P2 with a Core 2 Duo...
    -Games: The iphone is close to a wii in graphics,the 5800 is close to a Geforce 1

No I am not paid by Nokia or Apple,I am just an ordinary tech lover!
    -

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

the iphone has had time to evolve.also consider apple has few projects or hardwares that they advertise or promote other than their line of flagship products.nokia has to create a long list of phones each year, theres bound to be a bunch of crappy ones in the bunch. iphone set the precedent with such an innovative and user friendly(also nice looking) phone. but then again, many of those who jumped on the iphone bandwagon were already on the ipod bandwagon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I used to be a SE addict

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

SE does what it does right,doesnt try to go up and beyond wat its capable of and then crash if it cant

mufaddal_km

many shorcomings that you have mentioned can be overcome by jailbreaking your iphones .
    i m a series 60 lover but at the same time even iphone is no less .
    have u tried palying games on iphone ?
    nothing will cone close toi it ( in some cases even beats down my psp)
    i bluetooth will fix bluetooth issue and i m morte satisfied with battery life on my iphone than on 5800
    secondly i never feel shackled to do things apple way ....infcat i love the apps availble from app store nothing comes close to it
    about copy paste ....read the forum its already available ...
    watching video on iphone is an awesome experince and not to mention the sensitivity of the touchscreen and awesome built quality which i hate to say but nokia deosnt provide

LASTLY i would just say that comparison like these are baseless ...both s60 and iphone are great in their domains and are alternatives to what user can get .its a subjective issue who decides to go with s60 or with iphone ...comparing both devices just to see what one has and other doesnt ..makes no sense to me atleast

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mufaddal_km
    LASTLY i would just say that comparison like these are baseless ...both s60 and iphone are great in their domains and are alternatives to what user can get .its a subjective issue who decides to go with s60 or with iphone ...comparing both devices just to see what one has and other doesnt ..makes no sense to me atleast

......yeah, it is baseless.....apple is a fruit and nokia is a place in finland....

mufaddal_km

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast