Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Nokia 808 (and 701) freezing when receiving phone calls

Greetings! Anyone still here? :P

I'm still a Symbian-only user today (there are no Androids, WPs or iPhones in my house at all), and, after researching everywhere I could for the last months (!), I need someone's helping hand:

I have a Nokia 808 PureView running Delight 1.5.

At least 60% of the time, when I receive an important call, the phone freezes, not accepting any touch, key press or key hold, and stays ringing (finishes the melody and starts it again even after the call was ended).

Usually, whatever is in the display at the time the call is received stays frozen in the display. I can't even know who called since it freezes before the caller number is displayed and logged. The melody plays as normal, but I stay locked out of any UI interaction and have to pull the battery.

Sometimes I just rebooted from a call freeze and, when I receive the next call it freezes right again! Other times, a couple calls in a row work fine (usually when I'm trying to reproduce the issue...). It's completely unpredictable as far as I can tell -- but happens way too often to be ignored.

All Delight phones with Brazilian ROFS2 I tried had the issue (one 701 and one 80. No Nokia original FW phones I tried ever had this issue (two other 701). I can't go back to OFW anymore on my 808 (FW version mismatch), and I can't use Delight's English ROFS2 because I need the pt-BR keyboard.

The only possibly related post I found, anywhere, was this:

Quote Originally Posted by Civicdriver80 View Post
    this problem is caused by stopping 'all WRT widget'. If you stop this process sometimes the phone freeze when you get a call.
    Sometimes this process is stopped when using the Nokia backup on the phone. Then you restart the phone or start the process again. The process is called widgetui.exe.
    ...but I don't have Nokia backup enabled at all, and the issue still happens just after a reboot. And even if it's widgetui's death, how could I keep it alive?

Is there a known solution for this? Not being able to answer calls or call back (as I can't see who called!) is an unacceptable dealbreaker I've been fighting against for months by now (and the fact it works fine on Nokia's OFW makes me sure it can't be unfixable... but how?)

Thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by Zidrewndacht; 12-06-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Improving legibility

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Nokia 808 (and 701) freezing when receiving phone calls Nokia 808 (and 701) freezing when receiving phone calls Nokia 808 (and 701) freezing when receiving phone calls Nokia 808 (and 701) freezing when receiving phone calls

Hm does your phone have the 3.5G bug?
    Put your phone in 2G mode and try it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

huellif, thank you for your reply.

My 808 has the 3.5G bug, yes, but it's a different issue.

The phone stays in 2G mode almost all the time (I only switch to 3.5G on the rare times I need to use the phone as a modem), and the call freeze still occurs at the most inconvenient times.

The 3.5G freeze is different (black display with lit keys), this call freeze keeps the display on with whatever was on screen before the call (and the phone stays ringing normally, yet forever). I'll try to record a video of the issue when possible (unfortunately it doesn't happen when I try to reproduce it at home).