Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    shadowninty

Default Re: Why is N8 phone taking so long?

Quote Originally Posted by skiba
    Care to tell me what they are?
    A fantastic selection of apps, responsive UI, nice UI, gets paired with good hardware, don't have to hard-reset once a month, phone does not slow down with more then 20 apps installed, auto app updates, regular f/w updates

I could go on....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

We can't really judge what the N8 is going to be based on the 5800 performance. I don't really see any features that Symbian is lacking compared to Android. It does all the same stuff + free navigation and a portable bluray player.
    How much do you have to pay for a turn-by-turn navigation for an android phone?
    compare google maps to ovi maps and then start tellin' that navigation is good.. and 680 mhz cpu when every latest other flagship has 1 ghz.. ROFLMAO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninty
    A fantastic selection of apps, responsive UI, nice UI, gets paired with good hardware, don't have to hard-reset once a month, phone does not slow down with more then 20 apps installed, auto app updates, regular f/w updates

I could go on....
    Please do. You just listed:
    -eye candy
    -more memory and faster processor than nokia's phones. I'm asking about the OS and what you can do with it.
    - You dont have to press "check for updates"

What I'll give you is:
    -Good selection of app's. Good If you like to play games. (I'll be just fine with free navigation )
    -Does not freeze (We dont know about the N8, but likely it hasn't changed)
    -faster UI. (faster hardware. Would like to see how android works on a nokia 5800 or N97)

You didn't list any real feature where android has symbian beat.

shadowninty

Default Re: Why is N8 phone taking so long, and where do we stand with Symbian?

Please do. You just listed:
    -eye candy
    -more memory and faster processor than nokia's phones. I'm asking about the OS and what you can do with it.
    - You dont have to press "check for updates"

What I'll give you is:
    -Good selection of app's. Good If you like to play games. (I'll be just fine with free navigation )
    -Does not freeze (We dont know about the N8, but likely it hasn't changed)
    -faster UI. (faster hardware. Would like to see how android works on a nokia 5800 or N97)

You didn't list any real feature where android has symbian beat.
    Symbian has a crap selection of apps, less then 20,000
    There is no app update feature for third party apps
    Google maps has free navigation
    Symbian freezes all the time on me

The only thing you are right on is effieciency, but afaik in S^4 it will only be marginal

EDIT: A nice logical UI isn't eye-candy bro

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The only thing you are right on is effieciency, but afaik in S^4 it will only be marginal

Yes the app selection isn't as good. As I said, the biggest benefit you'll get if play alot of games on your phone. I've donwloaded alot of app's for ovistore but the only one that I actually use is the flashlight. Most of them are useless, and I'm betting this applies to every phones app store.
    Id buy an Iphone if I wanted a big selection of app to choose from.

My 5800 freezes on me from time to time too. Don't know if it's a hardware limitation (ram) or crappy code. It's always running on the limit of what it's capable of.

Symbian isn't illocigal, it just isn't as user friendly. This is the biggest selling point that others phones have going on for them. Thats why people are turning away from symbian, but again it isn't a lack in functionaly / what you can do with the phone. In this regard, if you take in account the HDMI ouput, USB OTG, Bluetooth 3 and the camera, it's in the lead.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

1. Doesnt matter if SYmbian only has 20,000 apps when it has less recurring apps. Do you really need a few thousand apps for one sound each? Or even a hundred different apps for fart sounds? App number is irrelevant if you ask me if Symbian only has 5 apps that do the same thing while the other app stores has a 100 apps that do the same thing as 1 symbian app. I am not saying this is the case for all apps, but its true nonetheless. It would matter more if you were talking about particular functional apps that Symbian wont have.

2. Some apps do have a check for update. Opera Mini for instance

3. Google Maps has free navigation in the US only as far as I remember. Not yet for a major number of countries, so this really counts only if you're from America.

4. Doesnt on me, so this point's relative. I got somewhere like 50 apps on my phone. I once managed to reach almost a 100, but I streamlined my phone since I barely even use 10 at a time. The most often used is free navigation, calculator, joikuspot, flashlight, social networking apps. The rest, bleh...

- However, I do believe that Nokia is late on the touch screen in terms of UI, as they just ported the old symbian UI from non touch to the touch phones, which is why SYmbian^4 is coming. SYmbian^3 would not have much of a difference from Symbian^1 as far as I can see apart from the upped software limitations (RAM, HDMI, USBOTG, etc).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

ROFL at this
    The only features I can see as far as I am concerned are graphics (multiple homescreens, the cube-like menu, etc), or things that people can live without. Functionally, I havent seen YET anything that Android can do that Symbian can't.

Quote Originally Posted by usta
    Regarding your points:
    1. Widgets have different sizes. There are some that fill the whole screen, and there are some that are as tiny as one icon. Having 7 homescreens, I can chose to have 12 widgets on each, making it in total of 84 widgets on my phone...

2. The apps are alphabetical by default, but you can move them on the homescreens as your heart wishes.

3. About 60% of 100,000 Android apps is a freeware - that has got to be enough for you if you have a payment issues from your country.

I hope this clarifies your worries.
    Support also by means of HTC stores, service centers etc. I am not too careful with my phones and I do not like my phone being tied down to carriers. There are virtually no shops that sell android phones outside carriers, except for SE, and from what I see, SE is even worse than Nokia is giving updates.

Maybe if the Android scene gets bigger, I may consider them. I did not say they are bad, I even said they are the best looking UI. Its just that there are too many issues and too little presence in my country for it get even some consideration from me.

shadowninty

It seems that the divide between Android/Symbian is that US and EU citizens are pro-android while ASEAN residents are pro-symbian

Am I right?

Also it seems that most of those saying that Symbian is on par with Android have never actually tried a new Android device...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

It seems that the divide between Android/Symbian is that US and EU citizens are pro-android while ASEAN residents are pro-symbian

Am I right?

Also it seems that most of those saying that Symbian is on par with Android have never actually tried a new Android device...
    I've played around with my friends HTC. It was fast and nice looking, but apart from that, my old 5800 could do all the same stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The issue with symbian and nokia is that they haven't evolved with the times, and now they're playing catchup to iOS and Android. When/if Nokia and symbian do catch up, then Symbian will be able to say "Look at me! I'm good now!"

And efficiency is only relevant when you're running something on outdated hardware. and if you look at the fact that phones now come with GPUs and 1ghz processors, nokia really has been left behind.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast