Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Nokia N8 to be final Symbian N-Series device, MeeGo taking over

Quote Originally Posted by jb6789
    IMO, this is terrible "reporting" and makes no sense. Is Phat Trance trying earnestly to kill the N8, or is he just reporting on something he heard from someone that has been validated by a second credible source? I would buy into the notion that this is the last N-series to sport Symbian^3...but that should not be news considering the Symbian Foundation's published development path for Symbian^4. IMO, Meego will stay with N9 and the S-series for the mid-term..
    This was actually confirmed by REUTERS, you don't get more credible than that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

If N8 is the last N-series Symbian phone, so what? Symbian has always been great whit multimedia as, music, video etc. The X-series and E-series will probobly continue with S^3 and next year with S^4.

So for someone like me, that dont uses my phone as a computer, a think that S^3, S^4 would suit my well. Just want to see what improvments that been made in S^3 and S^4...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

even if i don't know you, i can compare what i see and what i hear. i've got my hands on some eseries (E71, E66, E50-E51-E52-E55, E63, E65, E75) and compared to XM phones or Nseries they suck at this thing. As i mentioned, i didn't have an intention to abuse you or any others, just i know some ppl poppin' out with eseries nokias and grumblin' 'i don't need a camera i don't listen any music i care only about my business' so that's why i said like that.
    ok sum facts to proove u: i'm kindda quizzed. my first s60 was N70 - great camera, 2mp, video was 352*288 - good enough to post 'n' watch online. when i exchanged it to E51, i was like f**ked up with this cam: noisy photos in cloudy day, crappy QVGA video shitty even to watch on PC, and huh i've used ol' s40 5300 - well it's 1.3 mp cam busts E51's one out in photo part. not to mention listening bassy music in good earbuds in 3120 classic is way better than in E51.

Sanja, as you can read from my earlier post, I do not want to go to the childish debate 'my phone is better than yours'. Like in shoes, you have walking shoes, running shoes, sandles, boots etc. These are for different markets and also for different times. E series is geared to a different customer than N series. Yes, these have multimedia but multimedia is more for necessity. When you say N series is better than E series, you are comparing apples with spinach!

Just to remind you, our initial debate was about OS stability and my video showed first ever interview where Nokia admits software issues, primarily S60v5. Not on your handset uploading photos, but he was addressing the updates, patches, the stretching of the software etc. Remember S60v3 was and still is good for what it is intended to do, but Nokia had to stretch it to become a touchphone OS (S60v5) and work with a whole host of apps. In that video, they want to leave symbian on N series as they've stretched in enough.

Before you post another hot air sanja5800 , remember this;

We're talking about software, not hardware.

Carl Zeiss camera on N series different from a non Carl Zeiss camera on E series. There will be a difference in pictures. If you don't buy N series, you don't get Carl Zeiss, don't expect same quality on Non CZ!

You can not compare apples with spinach. E and N series are for different markets. If your friends went and bought E series expecting it to be like N series, they need to grow up a bit more.

Some people in developing countries rely on their phones for everything, TV, Radio, Video, Music etc. Here in Europe, you have an amazing sound system at home, HDTV at home, Good stereo in the car etc. If the sound on the phone is a 'notch' lower, it is not the end of the world - still music, and if I want, I would blast it from my surround system at home!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...of_Nseries.php

Key points

* Nokia: "Going forward, Nseries devices will be based on MeeGo". This suggests the Nokia N8 and its variants will be the last Nseries powered by Symbian.

* Nokia signposted this change at its Capital Markets Day in late 2009 and in brief at the Maemo Summit earlier in the year, so this shouldn't really surprise anyone.

* The widening market for Eseries devices and the advent of the Xseries and Cseries means the scope of Nseries has been narrowed when compared to its early history. Consequently in Q1 2010, Nseries devices represented only around 12% of Nokia's Symbian phone sales.

* In 2011 Nokia will likely ship more than 100 million Symbian devices.

* MeeGo will be the software platform for Nokia's highest end devices. In part they will be a new category of devices.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

its a very good move by nokia, it once again sets the n series apart from all other phones, which was the intent in the first place. blending the os with the rest of mid range non smartphones was a poor move and it made an n series device well....just a phone and not what it stood for initially with n95 and such. this is actually wanting me to wait and get some n series down the road of course not the n8 or even 9. still there is hope that my once beloved n series will show some greatness once again i for once am very happy that nokia is moving this direction.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

its the announcement that is baffling, they should have waited until n8 was released. but on the other hand you can argue that atleast we know nokia's plan so that we know we are not getting shafted. just gives us more option. but seriously, now that i know this info, i prolly will hold off buying n8, keep using my n97 mini and hold off for a meego device. i remember when i got my first nseries device (n80) that was state of the art. but now, symbian feels so far behind, even though it is still prolly the most flexible, powerful OS out there.

shadowninty

I think its a good move by Nokia.
    There is no point investing so much in an OS [maemo>meego] and then only releasing one or two devices a year based on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by punkrocklives
    its the announcement that is baffling, they should have waited until n8 was released. but on the other hand you can argue that atleast we know nokia's plan so that we know we are not getting shafted. just gives us more option. but seriously, now that i know this info, i prolly will hold off buying n8, keep using my n97 mini and hold off for a meego device. i remember when i got my first nseries device (n80) that was state of the art. but now, symbian feels so far behind, even though it is still prolly the most flexible, powerful OS out there.
    Completely agree with the N80. It was one of my best phones. Great music player and Internet capable. Nokia was way ahead of their time, but has gone downhill lately because of the flaws. Hope they'd make a comeback with their Symbian^3/^4 and MeeGo devices.

Now it looks like Nokia's not ditching Symbian^3 yet 'cause of the C7 and the N8-01.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i completely disagree with this decision.
    not only high end devices should be meego, also middle class devices should have meego.
    they should kill s40 and replace this with Symbian.

main problem: i dont believe that there will be much buyers for high end devices then middle class phones. then also there will the software development not so good like the opponents.

shadowninty

Quote Originally Posted by yener90
    i completely disagree with this decision.
    not only high end devices should be meego, also middle class devices should have meego.
    they should kill s40 and replace this with Symbian.

main problem: i dont believe that there will be much buyers for high end devices then middle class phones. then also there will the software development not so good like the opponents.
    Yeah thats pretty much what I'bve been saying
    Unfortunately the ridiculous HW requirments for S^4 kills any hope of this

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast