Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Benchmark OpenGL: Nokia N8 vs Omnia HD vs iPhone 3G vs Apple

I'd like to see the N8 take on the iPhone 4... Camera vs Camera... Performance 1on1

That will be the decision maker for me...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by keithlum
    wrong wrong wrong...IP 4 sure has a powerful GPU ! no doubt
    bout it ! but the GPU it use still unidentify.if IP 4 DON'T have a GPU...how can it support HD VIDEO recording ? high resolution 3D GAMING ?
    i might be wrong but i think the A4 chip is bundled with the GPU and RAM inside to save space and energy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by weijian95
    Nokia N8's Broadcom BCM2727 is currently the fastest in the market, if paired with the newest 1.2Ghz Snapdragon it'll undoubtedly the fastest mobile phone. iPhone4 doesn't have a GPU as far as I know, it uses Apple's own CPU like the one in iPad, to save space and energy.
    Take that Apple fan boys xP.
    It's rather weird though.. how can it perform 3D games like that then? Don't tell me 3GS will still perform the games better o_O!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zymesh
    i might be wrong but i think the A4 chip is bundled with the GPU and RAM inside to save space and energy.
    then mean it has a GPU my friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by djripster
    I'd like to see the N8 take on the iPhone 4... Camera vs Camera... Performance 1on1

That will be the decision maker for me...

Err, is it not obvious what will win?

12MP Carl Zeiss with Xenon Flash V's 5MP with LED flash

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zymesh
    You are right , the A4 has included the Cortex A8 kernel and PowerVR SGX GPU, it was also called SoC(system on chipset), not CPU.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G
    Err, is it not obvious what will win?

12MP Carl Zeiss with Xenon Flash V's 5MP with LED flash
    12MP Carl Zeiss optics...xenon flash...bigger sensor...powerful GPU...I don't think IP 4 can win the match...N8 rules !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Is clear, nokia have a better gpu, even than IPhone 4...and they sayd that n8 is not the flagship. Flagship will come later this year...then i'll be proud with my new device...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well, Regarding the GPU, yes of course IP 4 has a GPU but they just don't reveal such specifications because they are like totally SURE that it'll be much better than their elder 3G S which had a 60 FPS (Frames Per Second), and most of their customers just don't give that importance what the GPU will be, what's important is it's coolness & Smoothness above all.

Regarding the Camera, please don't forget the FPS record rate, IP 4 has a 30 FPS meanwhile the N8 has 25 FPS, even though most Blue Ray videos are like 23 or so but the 5 FPS difference counts.

If you want to talk about smoothness, I think that the latest N8 video shouldn't have been published till they had a better smoothness in the Picture Editing section :S, I was really disappointed :S.

Now there is a huge debate on which of the N8/IP4 will be my next Christmas present from me (((((.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The A4 die uses a custom Cortex-A9 MPCore at 1GHz, ARM Mali 50-series GPU, I/O and memory controller.

From AppleInsider at forums.appleinsider.com:

"According to Bright Side of News, the Apple A4 is based mostly on intellectual property from ARM reference designs. The new, custom chip from Apple, through its purchase of fabless chip designer P.A. Semi, includes the Cortex-A9 MPCore (identical to the processor in the nVidia Tegra and Qualcomm Snapdragon), a ARM Mali 50-series GPU, and a memory controller all on one die.

"The A stands obviously for Apple, and the difference between the Samsung processor inside the iPhone 3Gs and A4 is the clockspeed and the core type," the report said. "A4 runs at 1GHz while the chip on iPhone 3GS works clocked to 0,6GHz. This is one of main reasons why iPad can deliver a lively interface compared to stale iPhone one."

Reference designs for the Cortex-A9 call for either two or four cores. The architecture is the successor to the ARM Cortex-A8 upon which the 600MHz iPhone 3GS is based.

As noted in AppleInsider's hands-on impressions with the new iPad, the next-generation processor even makes Apple's speedy iPhone 3GS seem a little slow. It's possible that the new iPhone model, expected to be introduced this year, could also sport a custom Apple-built chip.

Bright Side of News allegedly learned that Apple and P.A. Semi were contracting with ARM when they spoke with the company's CEO, Warren East, during the Global Foundries event in Las Vegas. As first reported by AppleInsider in 2008, Apple has been a licensee of the ARM architecture for years. Apple purchased P.A. Semi for $278 million in 2008.

Pictured in Apple's iPad video presentation, the new A4 processor was manufactured in September of 2009. Previous rumors have alleged that the processor is likely designed in-house, but manufactured by Samsung.

Apple claims the power efficiency of the chip will allow the iPad to offer users 10 hours of battery life in use, and over a month of standby.

"iPad is powered by our own custom silicon. We have an incredible group that does custom silicon at Apple," company co-founder Steve Jobs said during Wednesday's keynote. "We have a chip called A4, which is our most advanced chip we've ever done that powers the iPad. It's got the processor, the graphics, the I/O, the memory controller -- everything in this one chip, and it screams.""

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast