Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default s60 5th apps on symbian^3 ?

hi
    will s60-5th-apps run on symbian^3 devices do we know something about that or is it too early ?
    the resolution is the same. 5800 and N8 have both 360x640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: s60 5th apps on symbian^3 ?

Yes they will work on S^3.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The big question is :
    Will be apps available ?
    Ovi today is simply ridiculous when you compare with Apple Store and Android Market .
    The N8 is a great hardware , but it remains to be seen if it will becomes a good platform for users. I have my doubts ....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Katarn
    The big question is :
    Will be apps available ?
    Ovi today is simply ridiculous when you compare with Apple Store and Android Market .
    The N8 is a great hardware , but it remains to be seen if it will becomes a good platform for users. I have my doubts ....
    now there are a lots of s60 5th apps !!
    if you don't get trough ovi, you'll only have to search in the internet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Something else to keep in mind is that, apparently, Symbian 3 is easier to develop on than Symbian 1 and with Qt, applications don't have to be ported, just adjusted to fit the screen and what not.

There's a video on the web and you can see devs talk about Qt, Symbian 3, and Ovi. There's even a point where you can see a two second preview of a game on the N8 with a rolling ball as the dev being interviewed talks about "Bounce" and it's great framerate with Qt (By the looks of the video, the graphics look better and smoother than a good iPod Touch game).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Lots of what ? Maybe you are entering a new Ovi I dont know...
    I have a Iphone and the 5800 . I have been loyalty to Nokia since the 6600 years ago.

The Ovi is a joke compared with Apple Store.
    A lot of trash.
    Nokia is losing this battle, simply put. My last hope is ^3. Many are saying "its easy to develop" and so on....Apple has only one SO for Itouch, Ipad and Iphone and the apps are cheap.

Now Nokia has s60 3rd , s60 5th, Maemo, ^3 and S40 . Its too confusing. Signing process was developed by the Evil to ruin Nokia . My last hope ....lets see if N8 starts a new era...
    hardware is nothing without software ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Katarn
    Lots of what ? Maybe you are entering a new Ovi I dont know...
    I have a Iphone and the 5800 . I have been loyalty to Nokia since the 6600 years ago.

The Ovi is a joke compared with Apple Store.
    A lot of trash.
    Nokia is losing this battle, simply put. My last hope is ^3. Many are saying "its easy to develop" and so on....Apple has only one SO for Itouch, Ipad and Iphone and the apps are cheap.

Now Nokia has s60 3rd , s60 5th, Maemo, ^3 and S40 . Its too confusing. Signing process was developed by the Evil to ruin Nokia . My last hope ....lets see if N8 starts a new era...
    hardware is nothing without software ...
    1. Most of the apps on Ovi are not very good, but there are lots of nice apps for s60v5 available all over the net (but yes not on Ovi)

2. Symbian^3 is your last hope? You would be disappointed then. There isnt really much difference between S^3 and S^1. The difference maker would be S^4 and MeeGo next year. Nokia said that they will be making less java phones and relegate s40 to entry level phones. From that, it would appear that S^3 would be going to mid-range devices and S^4 and MeeGo for high end competition.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I find that to be a bad idea, to make Symbian 3 for mid-range and Symbian 4 for high end, cause Symbian 4 is to replace Symbian 3, which is to replace Symbian 1. It would be like going to Best Buy and buying a brand new laptop with Vista loaded on it.

Nokia should have two OSes, Meego, and Symbian. They shouldn't even make Meego high end and Symbian low end, it should just be two OSes that are different, not one better than the other, cause anyone who buys a brand new Symbian device already feels like their device is outdated due to the fact that Meego is superior. It'd be like buying an iPhone 2G or an N73 instead of a 3GS or an N95/N96.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattbutsko
    I find that to be a bad idea, to make Symbian 3 for mid-range and Symbian 4 for high end, cause Symbian 4 is to replace Symbian 3, which is to replace Symbian 1. It would be like going to Best Buy and buying a brand new laptop with Vista loaded on it.

Nokia should have two OSes, Meego, and Symbian. They shouldn't even make Meego high end and Symbian low end, it should just be two OSes that are different, not one better than the other, cause anyone who buys a brand new Symbian device already feels like their device is outdated due to the fact that Meego is superior. It'd be like buying an iPhone 2G or an N73 instead of a 3GS or an N95/N96.
    I said it would be more likely, since Symbian^3 and Symbian^4 would be released within a year of each other that phones using Symbian^3 would be in production for at least 2 or 3 years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think Nokia should have Symbian 3 and Symbian 4 side by side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast