Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N8 Short Review

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: N8 Short Review

Quote Originally Posted by Skullet
    I didn't bother reading the whole thing, but what I did read wasn't biased, frankly he told it like it is.

So far I like the N8 hardware, but I've got some serious concerns about the OS, there are some nice things in there, but largely it seems like more of the same with some cosmetic changes. Where are the transitions? Especially when rotating the screen. Nokia have had plenty time to produce a well polished OS to rival its competitors, instead we got S60v5 and now Symbian^3, both late to the party, and both looking somewhat shabby when compared to rival offerings. I can't help feel that Nokia have tried to dazzle with the N8 hardware in a bid to draw attention away from the lacklustre OS, I really hope this changes before launch, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Very well written mate, I agree 100%

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Invalid Username
    Very well written mate, I agree 100%
    In all fairness to the N8, I couldnt care less for the looks as long as it works the way I want plus the nice hardware, which is why I am still not sold on Android and iPhone. They look good and have a number of cool-looking apps...But still I would prefer the Symbian interface to the iPhone's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

N Gage was also "pushed back due to improvements and advancements" and we all know how that ended up. S60v5 not to mention Ovi Store were both pretty late to the party, and both are lacklustre when compared to rivals who have now been there quite some time. Given Nokia's recent track record I'll stick with being concerned.
    Opinions will differ I guess.

N-Gage was an interesting experiment to mix games and phone. Symbian^3 is an OS built on top of Symbian^1, they're two totally different things which shouldn't be compared. (It's like comparing Windows Mobile 7 with Windows 7, same company but two totally different products.)

I can see the Ovi Store being a disappointment. Content is lacking and the app is incredibly slow to begin with, but I really don't mind s60v5, my only two gripes with it is that early firmware versions usually crash a lot, but once you get to v20+, it's usually pretty stable. That, and the hardware Nokia puts into their s60v5 phones is terrible. 434Mhz is clearly not enough, so why Nokia put these in phones like the X6 or the N97 mini is beyond me. The N8 has a 600+Mhz processor and watching all those little real time 1 minute videos makes it look pretty snappy.

Think, the only phone OS I know that can edit metadata without any third party apps is Symbian and maybe Maemo. Android may or may not be able to, I haven't checked, but I know BB OS and iPhone OS can't, and they're pretty big. The Nokia s60v5 camera apps are really indepth and provide a lot of features. Being able to do a few short mods to change transition effects is pretty cool too. Little, useful stuff like that is a big benefit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattbutsko
    Opinions will differ I guess.

N-Gage was an interesting experiment to mix games and phone. Symbian^3 is an OS built on top of Symbian^1, they're two totally different things which shouldn't be compared. (It's like comparing Windows Mobile 7 with Windows 7, same company but two totally different products.)

I can see the Ovi Store being a disappointment. Content is lacking and the app is incredibly slow to begin with, but I really don't mind s60v5, my only two gripes with it is that early firmware versions usually crash a lot, but once you get to v20+, it's usually pretty stable. That, and the hardware Nokia puts into their s60v5 phones is terrible. 434Mhz is clearly not enough, so why Nokia put these in phones like the X6 or the N97 mini is beyond me. The N8 has a 600+Mhz processor and watching all those little real time 1 minute videos makes it look pretty snappy.

Think, the only phone OS I know that can edit metadata without any third party apps is Symbian and maybe Maemo. Android may or may not be able to, I haven't checked, but I know BB OS and iPhone OS can't, and they're pretty big. The Nokia s60v5 camera apps are really indepth and provide a lot of features. Being able to do a few short mods to change transition effects is pretty cool too. Little, useful stuff like that is a big benefit.
    I was using N Gage, Ovi and S60v5 to highlight that Nokia have problems when it comes to software, I could have thrown PC Suite and NSU in there for good measure also. Its not a case of comparing apples and oranges as you put it, its simply pointing out the obvious pattern and asking why Symbian^3 should be any different?

Ovi was always going to be disappointing, Nokia's promises before hand echoed with the same eerie tone as they had with N Gage. It wouldn't have been so bad if Ovi had been first to market, but they had the advantage of being able to look at rival offerings and respond accordingly, they gave us Ovi and that pretty much sums it up. The lack of content would almost be forgivable if the actual app was slick, but instead it feels like a poorly written java app.

The core hardware of the S60v5 range definitely hasn't helped, its been mediocre at best. The N8 should certainly fare much better here, but again despite the fact Nokia are arriving long after rivals giving them more than enough opportunity to respond with a slick rebuilt Symbian for the next gen, they are instead responding with the same old Symbian with some spit and polish.

I've been an S60 die hard since the 7650 was released, but the 5800 achieved something that even the mighty Apple couldn't, it sold me an iPod Touch and the notion that my next phone wont be a Nokia. My 5800 has been completely relegated since getting the iPod Touch, having to use the 5800 to call or text is painful, I'd even go as far as saying its heartbreaking, and I'm not sure if Symbian^3 or N8 is enough to make up for that pain and heartbreak.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I was using N Gage, Ovi and S60v5 to highlight that Nokia have problems when it comes to software, I could have thrown PC Suite and NSU in there for good measure also. Its not a case of comparing apples and oranges as you put it, its simply pointing out the obvious pattern and asking why Symbian^3 should be any different?

Ovi was always going to be disappointing, Nokia's promises before hand echoed with the same eerie tone as they had with N Gage. It wouldn't have been so bad if Ovi had been first to market, but they had the advantage of being able to look at rival offerings and respond accordingly, they gave us Ovi and that pretty much sums it up. The lack of content would almost be forgivable if the actual app was slick, but instead it feels like a poorly written java app.

The core hardware of the S60v5 range definitely hasn't helped, its been mediocre at best. The N8 should certainly fare much better here, but again despite the fact Nokia are arriving long after rivals giving them more than enough opportunity to respond with a slick rebuilt Symbian for the next gen, they are instead responding with the same old Symbian with some spit and polish.

I've been an S60 die hard since the 7650 was released, but the 5800 achieved something that even the mighty Apple couldn't, it sold me an iPod Touch and the notion that my next phone wont be a Nokia. My 5800 has been completely relegated since getting the iPod Touch, having to use the 5800 to call or text is painful, I'd even go as far as saying its heartbreaking, and I'm not sure if Symbian^3 or N8 is enough to make up for that pain and heartbreak.
    It seems you were under the assumption that Symbian^3 would be something vastly different? Sorry, as being more informed that you, I knew that what Symbian^3's interface was going to look like. They released a ton of videos on Youtube and I knew that it was just going to be what Symbian^1 (s60v5) was supposed to have been in the first place.

Symbian^4 is what you're probably waiting for: Something Different

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chanchan05
    It seems you were under the assumption that Symbian^3 would be something vastly different? Sorry, as being more informed that you, I knew that what Symbian^3's interface was going to look like. They released a ton of videos on Youtube and I knew that it was just going to be what Symbian^1 (s60v5) was supposed to have been in the first place.

Symbian^4 is what you're probably waiting for: Something Different
    No I was merely under the assumption that Nokia would at least try to compete with rival offerings.

Watching a few videos on youtube doesn't make you "more informed" I watched those same videos, but was secretly hoping Nokia might surprise me.

To be fair iPhone OS 4.0 is probably closer to what I'm waiting for now, it'll take a lot to get me to buy another Nokia phone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

No I was merely under the assumption that Nokia would at least try to compete with rival offerings.

Watching a few videos on youtube doesn't make you "more informed" I watched those same videos, but was secretly hoping Nokia might surprise me.

To be fair iPhone OS 4.0 is probably closer to what I'm waiting for now, it'll take a lot to get me to buy another Nokia phone.
    In truth, I assumed you did not watch the videos like many people on different forums.

Although I am still waiting for possible improvements. As these videos are from an older iteration of the OS as far as I can tell. Also, considering the changes fw upgrades have made on the 5800, I wouldnt put it past the N8 to have some surprises up its sleeve come a few updates.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Wait what? OS4's doing what Symbian^1's been doing since time immemorial! It's just more eyecandy than Symbian, though. Lol I guess people are in it for that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

A few YouTube videos specifically designed to show you real time previews of Symbian^3 will make anyone who watches them more informed on Symbian^3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12