Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Official: N900 is a FLOP!

n95 was the last incredibly agile and ground breaking smartphone, the 5800 is a extremely successful non smart phone mid range music product, that has done really really well for the company. maybe because it was also the first phone to feature s60 v5. people may say what they want about the 5800 but for the value price/feature set it has by far been one of the most reasonable offerings out there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Isn't this comparing apples to oranges here?

Apple makes one handset (albeit a great one). Apple is a marketing machine, saturating the media with both advertising and product placement in order to drive sales.

Nokia make hundreds of handset and essentially lets their products speak for themselves (In NA anyway), I personally haven't seen a single N900 commercial, but there is an iPhone commercial every commercial break on TV.

Shouldn't we also be comparing Nokia's total smartphone sales (XM series, E series and N series) to Apple's total smart phone sales? as the 3gs isn't Apple's flagship handset, it's their ONLY handset.

We can probably all agree that Symbian sucks, why no love for the N900? Sounds like a bunch of threatened fanboys.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

soon ill get my hands on my n900, ill surely love it..
    JohnOdotCA can you PM me what site should i go for tutorials,apps, games for n900 aside from maemo.org?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm not surprised, the N900 is not a great device. It's way to unstable and slow for my taste.
    -The ultimate multitasker - If you don't have lots of music in the media-player, surfing the web and texting at the same time, it the waiting for a response have killed lots of time during lunch.
    -The best web-experience - if it could ever render the pages, and not open links that I scroll past all the time.
    -Great for multimedia - As long as it's over-clocked.
    -A mobile computer - it's as unstable as one running Win ME, so Nokia might be on to something here, oh wait, we wanted stability as in Win 2K!

This device is purely for the hackers that thinks that regular computers are way to mainstream. It's not fun to ALWAYS have to find out why the Facebook app this time was unable to connect to my account, write line after line in Xterm only to find out that Nokia excluded a vital command that I needed and therefore I have to download it and start all over again, or to manually have to uninstall application after application until I have enough free space on root to receive an SMS.
    And I hate to be a beta-tester for ALL useful apps for the device, this just adds to the instability of the device.

So why did the N900 flop? It's a way to thin product, and therefore Maemo and also MeeGo have started out with a bad reputation.
    I can tell you that I'm not planning to buy a Nokia next time. The news about MeeGo not coming to the N900 was the final straw.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andnewman
    I'm not surprised, the N900 is not a great device. It's way to unstable and slow for my taste.
    -The ultimate multitasker - If you don't have lots of music in the media-player, surfing the web and texting at the same time, it the waiting for a response have killed lots of time during lunch.
    -The best web-experience - if it could ever render the pages, and not open links that I scroll past all the time.
    -A mobile computer - it's as unstable as one running Win ME, so Nokia might be on to something here, oh wait, we wanted stability as in Win 2K!

This device is purely for the hackers that thinks that regular computers are way to mainstream. It's not fun to ALWAYS have to find out why the Facebook app this time was unable to connect to my account, write line after line in Xterm only to find out that Nokia excluded a vital command that I needed and therefore I have to download it and start all over again, or to manually have to uninstall application after application until I have enough free space on root to receive an SMS.
    And I hate to be a beta-tester for ALL useful apps for the device, this just adds to the instability of the device.

So why did the N900 flop? It's a way to thin product, and therefore Maemo and also MeeGo have started out with a bad reputation.
    I can tell you that I'm not planning to buy a Nokia next time. The news about MeeGo not coming to the N900 was the final straw.
    I'm curious as to what you recommend as an alternative. I've never experienced ANY of the issues that you've listed here. I'm not trying to imply in any way that there are no issues, but to call the phone a 'flop' goes a bit far IMO. Nokia marketed this phone as a 'geek' device, it's user-intensive for sure, but Nokia never promised that it wouldn't be.

And again, as I posted in the Meego/No go thread, you need to read between the lines of the Nokia press release. Meego will be coming to the N900, it will not be an official Nokia upgrade/update. A 'release' for the N900 with a UI is supposedly coming this summer. Not to mention the fact that even if it didn't hit the N900, they both use the same version of QT, which means that any applications released for a Meego phone will be compatable with the N900.

As for sales figures, this article was incorrect when initially posted, the N900 sold over 100,000 units in the first 5 WEEKS, not months as posted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

very happy to say i have NEVER had any of these issues!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

just got my n900
    whew, maemo is hard at first...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOdotCA
    I'm curious as to what you recommend as an alternative. I've never experienced ANY of the issues that you've listed here. I'm not trying to imply in any way that there are no issues, but to call the phone a 'flop' goes a bit far IMO. Nokia marketed this phone as a 'geek' device, it's user-intensive for sure, but Nokia never promised that it wouldn't be.
    The Desire and Nexus One does everything better, and rooted it's as customizable. So why not go for any of those? Also when the HTC Vision is released the physical qwerty is no longer an advantage for the N900.
    I want everything to just work when I'm not messing around, and when I want to play with it it should allow me to do almost anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The Desire and Nexus One does everything better, and rooted it's as customizable. So why not go for any of those? Also when the HTC Vision is released the physical qwerty is no longer an advantage for the N900.
    I want everything to just work when I'm not messing around, and when I want to play with it it should allow me to do almost anything.
    Then just go buy yourself one of those phones mate, i really don't know why is n900 such a pain in the ass for you guys?

It's a great phone, everyone who know anything knows that. Just go to community's web site and see what's going on, see how many things you can do with this phone, see how many other stuff from linux got it's port for maemo, see how easy is to port something...

About how much linux - nexus and desire, both android phones, are:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02..._linux_kernel/

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...-Is-in-Android

and this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04...reintegration/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pragmacorp
    Then just go buy yourself one of those phones mate, i really don't know why is n900 such a pain in the ass for you guys?
    i don't know why the guy with an iphone which is as common as muck saw the need to write a post that shows the n900 is more exclusive!!...it's beyond me hehe
    joking aside i also own a nokia n95 n96 & n97 i think the n96 & n97 are CRAP really but you wont see me trawling the internet finding stuff about them to post on that forum! i also got my other half (who is a student) an iphone about five weeks ago, she was banging on about every other girl at uni had one, i had a play about with it a few times and to me its a big brick, it looks sht it feels sht in the hand and there is nothing on it that would make me want one! but yet again you wont see me posting links about how rubbish it is on the iphone forum....it's each to their own in my book!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast